Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Versatility was why Georgia football brought in transfer WR Michael Jackson III from the portal

SystemSystem Posts: 11,080 admin
edited January 6 in Article commenting
imageVersatility was why Georgia football brought in transfer WR Michael Jackson III from the portal

This Sentell’s Intel rep advances the story of the latest Georgia football transfer portal addition. That’s 3-star transfer Michael Jackson III from USC. The Las Vegas native silently committed to UGA after his official visit in early December and announced his decision on January 4, 2024.

Read the full story here

Comments

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JeffSentell This is Another great article from you Jeff !! Thx !! Gives us some detailed info. into what UGA saw in Jackson and also Why his stats are average. He can’t catch the ball if it’s not thrown to him. With no drops and good YAC it seems like the QB for what ever reasons was avoiding throwing to him. He used the word politics.

We as Dawgs fans have to remember this is USC he’s talking about. To say a whole different culture from UGA is a whopping understatement. And the compliment goes to UGA not the Hollywood guys at USC. And I’m not thinking he’ll be a problem in the locker room because though he is a veteran player in terms of time in college, he clearly stated he’s willing to embrace Kirby and UGA’s work ethic. In fact he said he Needed that, Wanted that.

Only time will tell if he holds true to his word. We all know that. It’s a We’ll see type deal. But he’s seems really serious about his future with the NFL, and he knows this is his last opportunity to showcase his skills. So IF he’s willing to put in the hard work he could pay big dividends for UGA.

I Love how he talked about Kirby being so straight forward. And how he could see Kirby wasn’t wearing a mask. THIS is one of the main reasons Kirby is so successful at recruiting !! He shoots straight with the players and their families. He earns their respect by being forthright and truthful to them. Go Dawgs !!

• truthtellertruthteller Posts: 243 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 6

Thanks Jeff for the illuminating article. A big question I have is did our coaching staff oversell this guy? I mean, his stats are mediocre at best and Georgia is not considered a school that has brought out many top flight WRs into the league. (obviously players like Pickens are the exception, but there haven't been many). So, according to Jackson, he is being told that he will have the opportunity to "never leave the field". With his past stats, I don't know that having a average player taking up space on your field in the offense and special teams is what this fan wants to hear. Kirby has always been about "best on best". So, I'm already feeling sorry for this guy if he comes all the way out to Georgia from California and is not allowed to do all the things he has been promised he will be able to do. And this being his last year, wow, that is a huge hill to climb. BUT, in Kirby and staff I trust, so I'm sure this will all work out in the long term for the benefit of the team - we shall see! GO DAWGS!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With any recruiting pitch, no matter the school, the coaches build up the listener and tell them this is our vision(hope) for you "We see you doing this , that and the other." We believe you can do this! Then it is up to the recruit to come in and work his tail off and live up to the "vision."

I don't believe CKS just says, come and be the starter, no matter how you perform, we've got your back.

One that would be dishonest. BUt what is the flip side? We have low expectations for you? Come and maybe one day if you work really really hard, just maybe you'll see the field? Yeh, that will sell! What they are given is an opportunity.

NOw does it turn out often that a great looking recruit can't beat out other great looking recruits? YEs! But which coach has that crystal ball? HEck, even the NFL draft , teams, as hard as they try, often just pick a bust.

I believe for example, that Entienne willl be given every opportunity to win the starting job. But we know that UGA doesn't go with just one guy at RB. And if another guy starts running like he's possessed, and performs better, that guy will start.

THere is some risk involved for these transfers. You have to have a pretty high opinion of yourself to believe that you can transfer to another top school and beat out their existing RB's or WR's.