Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Alabama safety Caleb Downs plans to enter transfer portal

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Kirby can reel in Downs and he’s a good fit to the UGA culture, I’m good with it. We’re gonna gain players and we’re gonna lose players. It’s trying to get the Best finished product in the end.

Y’all Know this so I’m not trying to preach to the choir. But there will be sometimes we get a guy that by all appearances we thought would be good and he’ll be a bust. And also we’ll lose guys that we thought weren’t as good and they’ll go elsewhere and turn out great. It happens.

But I think Kirby the ole horse trader he is, will end up getting the Best in the end. As far as the players go, it All depends on What they want. Short term gratuity in the form of NIL or Long term success at the NFL level. I don’t know of any schools out there that will develop guys in the Secondary any Better than Kirby and UGA.

So my advice to guys would be Stay at UGA Even if you have to be Patient and work your way up the roster. But I know there’s some that wouldn’t heed that advice that are not willing to be patient and the NIL is just to much to resist.

Hopefully we can Gain Downs while Retaining other great players. But it’s a gamble. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

I got your signal loud and clear !! And Totally agree !! I’d sure Love to see Kirby reel in some Premier Defensive Linemen and/or OLBs. We need Both in my opinion, Especially in case of injury to those we already have.

Whether it’s coaching or players or both, we Need significant improvement on our DL and OLBs play. I’d Love to see a Dominant Defensive front !! Couple that with a dynamic Secondary and the Dawgs could be the team of the Century in 2024 !!

In spite of all the losses to the NFL, I look for the Dawgs O behind Beck to be Very potent. I think the Secondary will be solid and get better as the season progresses. It’s the Defensive front that has me concerned. Even if Brinson and Stackhouse really bring the heat this year we’d be one injury away with one of them to be in a questionable situation.

Hopefully the big man from SC can be of big help right away. But To Me the Defensive front is our biggest question mark. To me with the exception of the Orange Bowl there were only two games where you could say our DL was dominant, that was vs KY and vs Ole Miss. They showed up Big in those games, the rest they seemed just So-So. Need more force on the DL in my opinion.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 17

Both Starks, and Downs playing the safety position for the DAWGS would be fun to watch. Not to mention Aguero, Bolden, and other talented players that will push the starters for more playing time. DB room is set for a while, unless more transfer out, which is always a possibility..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We are very young and thin at OLB. We could always move Jalon back there if we need to. So I agree on the OLB.

As far as the DL goes we are counting on a healthy TID, 44, and 55 to really up there game this 2nd year. I am expecting much more from those 3 then the transfer who I consider depth at this point. Out of the newbies we need 2 of them to contribute meaningful snaps and I'm going with the 2 highest ranked at this point in Ajonye and Thomas but it could be any of the 5 really.

We could really use a gamewrecker at interior DLine.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 17

I just noticed on the “247 portal site” that Kadyn Proctor (#1 OT in the 2023 recruiting class) just entered the portal. He was a 5-star and actually ranked higher than Caleb Downs in the #1 ranked Bama class last year. He also started every game for the Tide at left tackle. Dang, the wheels are really coming off in Tuscaloosa. Breaks my heart. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options

I also noticed a bunch of good Washington players have entered the “portal”. My bet is most of them wind up in Tuscaloosa within a week. Stay tuned. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options

That actually would help us and the rest of the league by causing more dissension amongst the guys who stayed. Let's hope they lose 40 guys to other teams not named Texas or Ole Miss or LSU.

• Options
  • Options

Looks like the 247 Portal experts are predicting Kadyn will commit to Iowa, but he hasn’t done so yet. He was actually committed to them several years ago before flipping to Bama. Wow…….Bama losing two 5-stars in one day is not good (for them 😉). Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    edited January 17

DeBoer already had a Huge mountain to scale trying to fill Saban’s shoes. And that was if every thing had stayed in place far as coaches and players. But with what’s looking now like a Mass Exodus, Whew he’s Really got his hands full !!

Be nice to see Bama become the dumpster fire of the West. As Dawgs fan(s) for Far to long we had to hear the incessant boasting and bashing coming from TuskerLoser. Will be nice to have the upper hand for Oh say about the next 25 to infinity years would be just fine !! Go Dawgs !!

P.S. I know I probably sound pretty brutal to some of Y’all. But I made the (S t u p I d on my part) mistake of going and taking a peek at Their boards right after the SECCG.

It’s a wonder I didn’t have a heart attack. In Their eyes not a single problem in officiating. And they “Knew” they were gonna beat us. And the last one that hurt the most Laughing and making jokes about knocking us out of a 3Peat !! So To Me their right up there with the Mud Lizards on the Detest Meter. The ole lizards have been pretty quite for some time now as they Know they don’t have anything to toot their horn about And the future not looking good for them at all.

Saban, Spurrier, Meyer I detest all three of them. The Only sorrow I have was we didn’t beat Saban but once in the KS era Before he retired. Just keep in mind though he Still has an office there and Even the Bama fans are saying he will Still have a heavy hand in the program. So Yeah I hope we devastate them every time we play them !!

• Options

@Navydawg,

I agree my friend……it’s fun to watch those jerks squirm for a change. BTW, Saban may have had a better record against Kirby, but I like to remind Bama fans that our Dawgs have finished ahead of their beloved Tide in EVERY (end of season) poll for the past 3 years. Go Dawgs and Roll Tide out the door!!!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm going to join Kirby and take the high road. No need, or time, to bash Alabama or Nick Saban. I don't hate the Tide. I just LOVE the Dawgs! I hope we pick up Downs because he's an EXCELLENT player and he could help us right away. But I'm not going to count on him unless and until he signs. Whoever mentioned the new Auburn DC being a threat to signing him I think does bear watching. Auburn has NIL money to burn. And whether we sign Downs or not, we will almost definitely lose at least one other DB, probably two, after Spring practice. It's a numbers game as much as anything else. Kirby will have those discussions internally with players who are not likely to see the field next year and we'll see them transfer and then folks will speculate about the reasons why. But it's just about meeting that 85 scholarship limit. So it's on now. I think the rash of transfers we're seeing now at Alabama means those kids don't have much faith in the new coaching staff, especially on defense. Oh boy, the next few weeks are going to be very interesting. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    edited January 17

Yep !! Agree !! When I use the word “detest” I’m using that in lieu of the word hate. I don’t “hate” anyone. And I certainly dont wish illness, injury, or death on anyone. Really not even financial hardships etc.

But To Me Saban was a detested rival. And So is Bama. Kirby was Friends with Saban because they worked together for quite awhile and not just at Bama. From a coaching standpoint I understand Kirby having a certain amount of respect and admiration for Saban.

But I’m a fan. I don’t like those three coaches I mentioned, though I don’t wish them any ill will in their retirement years. I think I have as much sportsmanship as the next fan. But Bama is a hot rival of our Dawgs. And (I’ve) We have heard their fanbase incessant boasting and mocking for years and years.

So No I’m not gonna say Oh I hope DeBoer has great success at Bama !! Because essentially that’s like saying I hope DeBoer will beat our Dawgs while he’s at Bama. I hope DeBoer will beat our Dawgs out at recruiting a top player. I hope DeBoer will continue the great legacy of Nick Saban. NO !!! I’m ALL Dawgs fan !! Why would I as a Dawgs fan want to Hope DeBoer has great success at Bama ??!!??

And people ought to go see what the Vast Majority of Bama fans think of Kirby !! They Despise him !!! Some are still fond of him from his time there, but Most NO !! Kirby is the rival. And their right, he is !!

No what I want to see is our Dawgs beat the brake shoes off Em and regularly. Get some payback for a change. Like even from the Mark Richt days when they mocked us about the Black Out game in Athens. If I was sitting right beside Bama fans at their stadium or ours, I’d absolutely be civil to them.I’m not gonna start a fight with them. And I’ll try to be polite.

But I’m not gonna pretend their not rivals. I want our Dawgs to beat them on the field, in coaching, and in recruiting. I want All of our sports programs to beat them. Just how I feel about it. In summary I want our Dawgs to be the new King of the SEC !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"No what I want to see is our Dawgs beat the brake shoes off Em and regularly. Get some payback for a change."______@navydawg

Lololol....you tell em, Navy! They get ZERO PITY. None.

Deboer is just a setup guy for their next coach, IMO. Lanning or possibly Kiffin....if they can heal old wounds, real or imagined. Deboer is not "the guy". He was just "the best available guy". Now, he's going to wipe the slate clean. Out with Saban....in with Deboer.

There is no existing continuity in Tuscaloosa....which, frankly surprises me more than when UGA fired Vince Dooley or CMR.

I thought the whole point of Saban's "Program"...was to provide that continuity and ensure the "Program" was bigger and stronger than any one man, because, it was "player-led from within"....or, "the players are connected".

Guess Kirby actually improved on the so-called "Saban Blueprint". Maybe Kirby Smart was the leader of that "whole thing" afterall. Notice, they didn't start deteriorating, till "AFTER" Kirby and Lane left "the program".

Saban knew defensive schematics....Kirby knew people [players]. Kirby learned the schematics. That's the easy part. Knowing the kids, like he does...is "a gift" IMO. I'm not sure you can learn what he knows instinctively.

When all is said and done....Kirby Smart will be recognized as "The GOAT". It will be undeniable....even by ESPN. Lol

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Vince Dooley wasn't fired; he retired as head coach at the conclusion of the 1988 season and became the athletic director.

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby is very high on this kid. I certainly hope we can get him to transfer to UGA.