Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Alabama safety Caleb Downs plans to enter transfer portal

Comments

• CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't see how Pope has anything to do with Caleb. He didn't prevent Caleb from going to Bama. As far as numbers, Kirby will make room for Caleb. As far as KJ, he will be in line for Starks job as he will be gone next year. Aguero is playing star, not safety.

• dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 397 ✭✭✭ Junior

Pope came out as a 4 star. He's only gotten better under T-Rob. The question is who do we keep now that we have Pope?

• BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You are assuming Aguero and Rhett are chopped liver which they are not. Aguero may turn out to be as good as Downs and should we get Downs we might lose Aguero or Rhett or both.

Downs is an upgrade for sure but what makes our Defense top 3 is not Downs. It is better play by our DL and linebackers. Our defense was not top 3 in the nation this year. I think it was like 9th or something. 25 against the run or something not very good. That gets fixed by having better DL and LBers. I think we will be better in both those areas.

Downs is just the cherry on top. As long as we keep Aguero and/or Rhett I'm cool with it.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 92 ✭✭✭ Junior

Perry Eliano who recruited Caleb Downs is no longer with Ohio State, not sure if that will make a difference.

If Kirby can reel in Downs and he’s a good fit to the UGA culture, I’m good with it. We’re gonna gain players and we’re gonna lose players. It’s trying to get the Best finished product in the end.

Y’all Know this so I’m not trying to preach to the choir. But there will be sometimes we get a guy that by all appearances we thought would be good and he’ll be a bust. And also we’ll lose guys that we thought weren’t as good and they’ll go elsewhere and turn out great. It happens.

But I think Kirby the ole horse trader he is, will end up getting the Best in the end. As far as the players go, it All depends on What they want. Short term gratuity in the form of NIL or Long term success at the NFL level. I don’t know of any schools out there that will develop guys in the Secondary any Better than Kirby and UGA.

So my advice to guys would be Stay at UGA Even if you have to be Patient and work your way up the roster. But I know there’s some that wouldn’t heed that advice that are not willing to be patient and the NIL is just to much to resist.

Hopefully we can Gain Downs while Retaining other great players. But it’s a gamble. Go Dawgs !!

• DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I got your signal loud and clear !! And Totally agree !! I’d sure Love to see Kirby reel in some Premier Defensive Linemen and/or OLBs. We need Both in my opinion, Especially in case of injury to those we already have.

Whether it’s coaching or players or both, we Need significant improvement on our DL and OLBs play. I’d Love to see a Dominant Defensive front !! Couple that with a dynamic Secondary and the Dawgs could be the team of the Century in 2024 !!

In spite of all the losses to the NFL, I look for the Dawgs O behind Beck to be Very potent. I think the Secondary will be solid and get better as the season progresses. It’s the Defensive front that has me concerned. Even if Brinson and Stackhouse really bring the heat this year we’d be one injury away with one of them to be in a questionable situation.

Hopefully the big man from SC can be of big help right away. But To Me the Defensive front is our biggest question mark. To me with the exception of the Orange Bowl there were only two games where you could say our DL was dominant, that was vs KY and vs Ole Miss. They showed up Big in those games, the rest they seemed just So-So. Need more force on the DL in my opinion.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 17

Both Starks, and Downs playing the safety position for the DAWGS would be fun to watch. Not to mention Aguero, Bolden, and other talented players that will push the starters for more playing time. DB room is set for a while, unless more transfer out, which is always a possibility..GoDAWGS!

We are very young and thin at OLB. We could always move Jalon back there if we need to. So I agree on the OLB.

As far as the DL goes we are counting on a healthy TID, 44, and 55 to really up there game this 2nd year. I am expecting much more from those 3 then the transfer who I consider depth at this point. Out of the newbies we need 2 of them to contribute meaningful snaps and I'm going with the 2 highest ranked at this point in Ajonye and Thomas but it could be any of the 5 really.

We could really use a gamewrecker at interior DLine.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 17

I just noticed on the “247 portal site” that Kadyn Proctor (#1 OT in the 2023 recruiting class) just entered the portal. He was a 5-star and actually ranked higher than Caleb Downs in the #1 ranked Bama class last year. He also started every game for the Tide at left tackle. Dang, the wheels are really coming off in Tuscaloosa. Breaks my heart. Go Dawgs!!!

I also noticed a bunch of good Washington players have entered the “portal”. My bet is most of them wind up in Tuscaloosa within a week. Stay tuned. Go Dawgs!!!

That actually would help us and the rest of the league by causing more dissension amongst the guys who stayed. Let's hope they lose 40 guys to other teams not named Texas or Ole Miss or LSU.

Looks like the 247 Portal experts are predicting Kadyn will commit to Iowa, but he hasn’t done so yet. He was actually committed to them several years ago before flipping to Bama. Wow…….Bama losing two 5-stars in one day is not good (for them 😉). Go Dawgs!!!