Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

New Year's Acute Dunlap Disease Treatment

13»

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,884 mod

Yeah I was tempted to finagle a prescription somehow until I read the weight comes back anyway. There’s just no shortcuts in life and we have to do the work.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've been using it for about 2 years now and have switched to doing it every other week instead of weekly. But I plan to stay on.

• Options

That is correct. If you don't change your eating habits you won't lose weight. A lot of people don't lose weight with Wegovy because they think they can eat anything. It's not a fat burner....it just makes you less hungry. If you aren't hungry, don't eat. That's the secret. Wegovy is sustainable long term. There doesn't seem to be any long term ill effects. Just a matter of if your insurance will cover it.

• Options

If you maintain good eating habits the weight won't come back. My wife lost 40lbs and quit taking it a year ago. Hasn't gained any weight back. If your insurance covers it I highly recommend giving it a try. A lot of chiropractors are now offering a similar semiglutide product for a much lower price.

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That is the home of one of my favorite restaurants in the world--wonderful views and a great place for a cheat day--Ruby's Shake Shack. Those ladies should be able to fight the sag with a couple of trips a week! LOL.

• Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My daughter love's their fries. If you go right before closing, they'll basically give you a massive bag-full.

Next time, take the stairs down the hill and try the Beachcomber at Crystal Cove. If you walk east on the beach (a short walk), you'll find the house from the movie Beaches.

• Options

One thing everyone can try right now if they are struggling with weight is just eat half of whatever you normally eat, especially at restaurants. Eat your normal food, just don't gorge yourself. And don't try to make every meal a special feast. If you are seriously trying to lose weight, you have to think of food as just fuel, not entertainment. You don't need cheese on your veggies, or a giant pat of butter on your steak, or a side of fries or chips, or gravy on that chicken breast. Clean and simple, stop eating BEFORE you feel full.

I know a lot of people don't want to believe it, but it truly is about calories in, calories out. Unless you have a real medical condition, it's all about the diet. Abs are made in the kitchen. You can't outrun a bad diet.

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting take. Blue Zones is a pretty interesting book. Not all that scientific, but interesting from an observational standpoint. One of the long lived cultures he discusses is the Okinawans. They actually have a phrase, which they are raised with, for eating till about 3/4ths full. It's deeply embedded in the culture, and apparently fat Okinawans living the traditional lifestyle are pretty much mutually exclusive. According to the book, restaurants expect customers to get up after they have eaten 50-60% of their meal and take a walk. They cover the food with a napkin and save it for them, and only after a 20-30 minute walk do they eat more of the first serving. Obviously, a trick to let your body register the food. As Americans, instead of taking a walk to eat less, we walk back to the buffet and get another four pieces of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, rolls and some more iced tea. My own subjective opinion is that staying lean, muscular, and exercising is actually more important than what you eat, although what you eat is important, too.

• Options
    Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lotta stomach problems over the last year. I'm trying to see what of my old Mediterranean diet I can eat while avoiding a particular type of carbohydrates the doc says is hurting me.

• Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Everyone is different and I'm sure your physician has suggestions.

In general, whole carbs are considered much healthier than refined carbs. However, the Mediterranean diet contains a lot of things associated with leaky gut and other intestinal issues. (I also think it's important to know if you have food allergies to anything you are consuming. Allergies can develop later in life so be aware of that as a potential problem.)

Legumes, for instance, while a part of the Med diet, contain phytates and lectins* which can irritate the lining of the gut and prevent healing of existing issues.

Barley, rye, oats, soybeans are all problematic.

Beans are high in dietary fiber. Once dietary fiber reaches the colon, it’s fermented by the beneficial bacteria that live there. Gas is a byproduct of that fermentation. So eating too many beans can result in a lot of adverse gut issues.

Vegetables...".Like all lifeforms, vegetables want to survive. Since they don’t have feet, fists, or fangs, they evolved an arsenal of chemical defenses known as plant toxins, phytotoxins, and antinutrients.

The first place we encounter the effects of these plant defense mechanisms is in our guts.

*Lectins are sticky proteins that bind to carbohydrates. In plants, they defend against pests. But when ingested by humans, they can cause digestive issues and inhibit your body’s ability to absorb important nutrients, including zinc, iron, and calcium."

"Oxalates are naturally occurring plant compounds that regulate plants’ internal mineral content and help defend against predators. 

Like lectins, oxalates bind to vital nutrients in humans, including iron, calcium, and magnesium, limiting their absorption. 

Oxalate binding is why nearly all of the iron in spinach goes unused by your body. Popeye got it wrong.

In your gut, oxalate crystals are significantly associated with fungal infections in the intestine. 

But the gut is just one area of concern. Studies show that oxalates can suppress immune function, reduce mitochondrial activity, and lead to the formation of kidney stones.

Foods rich in oxalates include many of the most common fruits and veggies: cocoa, beets, sesame seeds, rhubarb, sweet potato, coriander, currants, and spinach are just a few."

"Wheat products, including refined wheat, whole wheat, and wheat germ, are low in nutrients, spike blood sugar, and contain lectins. Unfortunately, due to industrial agriculture, wheat is also a staple for 35% of the global population."

Kidney beans, corn, Brussels sprouts, tomatoes, spinach, potatoes, squashes are all bad for your gut.

I know the Med diet pushes fish. If you do get fish, make sure it's wild-caught and not farm-raised. "Most farmed fish are raised on a diet of corn, soy and grain, they contain high levels of inflammation-promoting omega-6 fats and much lower levels of omega-3s than their wild counterparts."

Farm-raised fish contain highly concentrated levels of PCB's. "Polychlorlybiphenyls (PCBs) are powerful hormone-disrupting chemicals that have been linked to diabetes, obesity, cancer and reproductive problems. These chemicals can change the way your genes operate and they have been shown to directly suppress thyroid hormones (the epidemic of hypothyroidism now affects 59 million Americans)."

"Chinese fish farmers cope with toxic waters by mixing a concoction of illegal veterinary drugs, antibiotics and pesticides into the fish feed, packing even more poisons into these fish that end up on dinner tables across the world.

Not only is China the world’s largest exporter of seafood, it is also the leader in the amount of seafood that is refused due to contamination."

Farm-raised fish is often full of artificial dye to make them pink because without krill, their natural color is grey. Farmers use a dye that is derived from petrochemicals, yeast and corn byproducts, or by utilizing E. coli " And so fish farmers are forced to add antibiotics and other chemicals. In fact, farmed salmon are administered more antibiotics by weight than any other form of livestock.

Consuming antibiotic-pumped animal foods increases the risk of antibiotic resistance, allergies, digestive problems and auto immune diseases."

That's a boat load of info. If you want to follow the Med diet, just make sure you understand how your body reacts to many of the food items recommended.    

• Options
    edited February 1

I used to go to Okinawa for work frequently. I don't know if it is their diet or what, but Okinawans are just very tiny people. You never see a fat Okinawan....or a tall Okinawan....or a fit muscular Okinawan. It's weird, they are all very homogonous. Short, very thin, frail, and dress very conservatively. Americans and mainland Japanese really stick out. They love steak. Steakhouses are everywhere. If you ever go there check out Blue Ocean in the American Village. I've never had beef like they serve there.