Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Professional Wrestling in the 1980's

CantonDawgCantonDawg Posts: 228 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Since it is off-season, let's get some professional wrestling memories going. From 1981ish to 1987ish, EVERY DANG SATURDAY NIGHT I was glued to my TV, Channel 36, I believe. From 6 pm until midnight, There was varying area wrestling on. My favorite was Mid-South Championship wrestling. Magnum TA, The Road Warriors, The Junk Yard Dog, Piper, Lawler, and my favorite, Jake the Snake. NO ONE got up from his DDT! When I found out that he was from Stone Mountain (I was in Lilburn) it was over. He was immediately my favorite. I used to pull in our small 13-inch, black and white, 25 lb tv with the rabbit ears and watch it in my room, pretending to fall asleep because we had church early Sunday morning. Sometimes I made it all the way through the WWF, as it was the last one that was on. The night started with Tony Schiavone, and they played Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out for a Hero". Every time I hear that now, I immediately think of that show. Man, what fun it was. Life was good.

Then I discovered girls...and they were not into wrestling.

Anyone else remember watching that?

PS. When I found out that Jim Duggan and The Iron Shiek got busted with cocaine while driving one night, I could not understand it. THEY WERE MORTAL ENEMIES. There was no way they were hanging out together!

Comments

• Options
    donniemdonniem Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Shocking. I was demoralized when I saw Mickey Mantle smoking a cigarette on the bench one game. Couldn't believe it. Mickey? No way! What a naive kid I was.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I got bit by the wrestling bug in 88/89. If it was wrestling, I was watching it. WWF, WCW, WCCW and AWA reruns on espn.

In those days it was hulk hogan and whoever had paint on their face (sting, ultimate warrior, road warriors, demolition)

• Options
    donniemdonniem Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Back in the 80's when I taught at West Georgia, I would help a friend out by sitting at the door of a bar called the Library. One night Jake the Snake came in - chatted with him for a minute - very nice, personable guy. Pretty large too. Can't even guess how many students would tell their folks, I was at the Library last night until it closed. haha

• Options
    Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 31

Used to love watching NWA on TBS Saturday mornings. Flair, the Garvins, Blanchard, Barry Windham, Lex Luger, the Anderson brothers, Rick Rude, Ivan Koloff, Dusty Rhodes, Jake “The Snake” Roberts, JJ Dillon and so many more!

Loved Magnum TA as well…got to meet him at ATL after his car accident, very personable guy and happy to speak with a fan.

Moved to San Diego in 1986…would wake up at the crack of dawn (no matter how hard I ran on Friday night) to watch NWA on TBS!

Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin had one of the best lines I ever heard when he was doing promos to set up a match with Ric Flair. Flair came out and told Garvin that not only was he unable to fill his shoes, he couldn’t afford those shoes! Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin came out at the next break and said to Flair… “We all know the true story behind Space Mountain. It’s the shortest ride in the park, and you always feel a little bit sick when you get off of it! Still one of my favorites!

• Options
    BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The late 70’s set the standard with Regional Stars before the 80’s national broadcasts. It was Gordon Solie announcing on the local Atlanta station, Small auditoriums and small TV studios made the action more personal.

1.Mr. Wrestling #2 who was better 2.than Mr. Wrestling #1 somehow. 3.Abdullah the Butcher 4.Dusty Rhodes. 5. Tony Atlas 6. Thunderbolt Patterson 7. Tommy Wildfire Rich, probably up there with Mr. W#2 in popularity for awhile. 8. Anderson Brothers Minnesota Wrecking Crew 9. The Iron Sheik 10. Pak Song

In Memphis it was Jerry Lawler. In Chattanooga it was Tojo Yamamoto with Harry Thornton being the local announcer and doubling as the morning news anchor. True raw genuine characters.

• Options
    swilkerson7317swilkerson7317 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anyone into wrestling should watch the documentary on Andre the Giant. I think HBO did it.

Was fantastic. Amazing life that guy led. Some of the stories they told about his ability to drink etc were hilarious. Most of his life though wasn't happy. Kind of a sad story but he was a gamer and always showed up.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

It was hbo. Fun Easter egg to see Pat Patterson talking about him with a huge portrait of Pat Patterson behind him.

• Options
    Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I remember that Hulk Hogan said in an interview sometime after Andre’s passing that in truth none of the other wrestlers would even come close to standing a chance against Andre if things were real. Basically saying that he was just way too big and way too strong.

• Options
    philipsmith99philipsmith99 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I will start with I may be wrong on the dates. I started watching early 70 s , my favorites were the assassin s and Buddy Colt. Colt's best tactic was to throw his leg on rope and ref would break wrasslers apart. If Colt could not reach ropes, he would tap oppenent on shoulder to to get out of hold, naturally opponent would be furious when he found out he had been fooled.

In late 70 s or early 80 s I had off days during week and some of the tv shows were being taped at the Sportsman Arena behind the Sears on Ponce de Leon in Atlanta. Amazed at the reaction of some fans when there favorite would be losing.

• Options
    jc30116jc30116 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The show you are talking about was called Superstars of Wrestling hosted by Joe Pedicino and Bonnie Blackstone. I used to watch it as well. I think it was on until like 3 am though. Was always a struggle to make it until 3 lol.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dusty Rhodes!!!

BABY!!!! THE AMERICAN DREAM!!!! THE TOWER OF POWER!!!! BABY!!!