Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Roquan Smith Return

Comments

• Options
    JesupdawgJesupdawg Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's his choice, of course the Dawg in me wants to see him return, why?, because he is the most explosive defensive player I've had the chance to watch. I absolutely enjoyed watching him look like a heat seeking missile coming out of a F-35 Stealth jet destroying anything in his path. But if he chooses to go to the NFL, he has earned it and hope he makes millions for years!!!!

• Options
    Midnite_TrainMidnite_Train Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2018

@brentwilson said:
    i don’t understand how y’all sound comfortable with him leaving.... we will have NO senior leadership

With the way the season ended, I highly doubt there will be a shortage of leaders in our locker room. That fire will burn BRIGHT

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@orlando said:
    Roquan will be a first round pick. He plays exactly like Deion Jones. Speaking of Jones, maybe Atl can bring a win back from Philly.

Nah.

You'd be surprised at how many so-called experts are saying the Falcons will beat Philly. They're saying that they way ATL shut down Gurley the other night will be the key. That and just running the ball. They ran the ball 39 times against the Rams. Maybe they learned their lesson about running the ball from the Super Bowl.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know it’s off topic but with Wentz out, Birds have a good chance to win it.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@brentwilson said:
    i don’t understand how y’all sound comfortable with him leaving.... we will have NO senior leadership

There is nothing we can do about it. It is Roquan's decision. He should do what is best for him. I believe he's earned a first round selection in the NFL draft. I'm happy for him.

The team will have no choice but to go on without senior leadership, though I believe Godwin, Fromm, and a few others on the D can fill the leadership roles. After two more recruiting classes, we won't be worried about this issue anymore.

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seems like Roquan enjoys his study breaks in college. I am 99.9% sure this is the rooftop pool at The Mark where my daughter lives.

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@sarcean said:
    I want him to come back. I want him to be the heart and soul of the defense. I know he could go 1st round but I think its silly people HOPE he is leaving. I care about UGA football not the NFL. I think Smith could lean us right back to the national title game.

Smith will still make millions in the future whether he comes back next year or not. Hell the university can get insurance that would pay him out millions if he gets injured and hurts his draft stock.

My heart wants him to come back. However my head says it is not a good financial decision. in 2017 the number 17 pic Washington Redskins, DT Jonathan Allen (Alabama): $11,646,348/$6,610,071. If he does not get a injury that ends his football carer he will always be a year behind unless he moves up 10 positions in the draft. When you are talking about a first round pic that becomes very hard to do.

Would you put your families future on hold for a year when you could have $3,000,000 after taxes right now. By right now that is his cut of the ~$5,000,000 up front money not the $6,.610,071 he gets for the first year. That is a lot to ask of a young man just starting out in life.

• Options
    jay_kubzzjay_kubzz Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There's a 0% chance Roquan returns. He owes us nothing, dude left his heart and soul on the field every game. He's an all time great and deserves to go make his money. I can't wait to see him light up players in the NFL.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2018

He's been money for us and now its time for him to make money.

• Options
    Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We will know soon enough. Wouldn’t suprise me if he stays.

• Options
    HotDiggetyDawgHotDiggetyDawg Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Off topic and don't want to hijack the thread beyond one simple question. Who is this ugaforever guy and why does he seem to be just scrolling down the thread DVing without even contributing himself?

I think Roquan would possibly come back if he truly saw the pieces to make another run to the natty again. Would still be very low percentage though and he also knows there are no guarantees at all vs guaranteed money. I feel blessed to have been able to watch him tear around the field in that beautiful red helmet either way.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

@HotDiggetyDawg said:
    Off topic and don't want to hijack the thread beyond one simple question. Who is this ugaforever guy and why does he seem to be just scrolling down the thread DVing without even contributing himself?

Simple answer; Google "gooey duck." You'll get the picture then.

• Options
    BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We would all like for him to come back. It would be the best thing that could happen to the team, however, it would not be the best thing for him. He needs to make the smart business decision...and millions of dollars await him. We need to be grateful that we had him for this long.

• Options
    FredBearFredBear Posts: 232 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would love for Georgia to have him next season but to be honest he would be a little crazy to not cash in on the NFL money now. He's earned it

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TomGrose said:

@brentwilson said:

Jonathan Ledbetter has been a leader since he came back from his rehab. Deandre Baker, Terry Godwin, D'Andre Walker. And Natrez if he can get his head on right.

Someone in the junior class is bound to come through. Nauta, Woerner, Tyler Clark, Hardman, Ridley, David Marshall.

The whole team has bought in. The great seniors always leave...this year was an unexpected exception.

Don’t discount the leadership abilities in the rising sophomores too.

Kirby has been ingenious in setting up the leadership council. It is a feeder system filled with aspir

• Options
    ajf611ajf611 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

As an MLB and especially him, he takes contact on every play. As much as I would love him to come back, there really is no good reason to stay. His draft stock could not get much higher (you might be able to argue it would go down due to more wear and tear). He has been every bit as good as advertised.

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

With any normal player I would say "Take the money and run" with Roquan I just dont know...he seems to enjoy playing with the Dawgs so much and I honestly see his NFL career as maybe just a brief 10 year period in his life....I believe he would make a great college football coach.

• Options
    PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Please go to the NFL and make as much money as possible. I don't want his brain getting bounced around in Athens for another year.

• Options
    Jinx55Jinx55 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Polynikes said:
    Please go to the NFL and make as much money as possible. I don't want his brain getting bounced around in Athens for another year.

Can I double up vote this! Roquan is DGD now got get that money like Thomas Davis, Jarvis Jones, Alec Olgatree, Danelle ellerbe and all the other guys that left as soon as they could! Football is a short shelf life! He has done so much for the program and deserves to be at the next level!

Insurance policy or not you can never make up the money he is about to make! I’ll root for him wherever he goes!

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

His family situation would definitely make a difference here....If daddy has millions of dollars (like Manning) then it doesn't matter if he goes pro or not.