Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Honeymoon is over for Pruitt. More issues looming...

13»

Comments

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgwood82 said:
    I was living in Chattanooga when this happened. The bullsheet was dubbed as hazing.
    I played football in high school, went to the U.S. Army afterwards, then got into the construction trades after that so I've had and done more than my fair share of hazing. Never ever, not once, did the thought of sodomizing some dude with anything come to mind.
    If UGA pulled in this kid I would be highly upset. I don't care how you spin it, if he took part in it he's a rapist, if he was around the act and didn't try to stop it then he's a coward. People can feel however they want but if this was my kid I would have probably beaten him to a state of mental incapacity before he got the chance to be recruited. That's Vol nation though, **** glad I'm a Dawg!!

Agree 100%. I played varsity football as a freshman in HS (and believe me I was subjected to substantial hazing by the upperclassmen on a daily basis that first year), joined a fraternity in college (again, there was a certain amount of hazing involved there)....after graduation joined the Marines and spent 20 years being subjected to what most people would consider brutal conditions...but NEVER did any of this ever involve anything even remotely close to what this kid admitted to. There's a big difference between getting stuffed into a locker or scrubbing a toilet with your bare hands and raping someone with a broom. That is just sick.

• dawgwood82dawgwood82 Posts: 202 ✭✭✭ Junior

@pgjackson said:

@dawgwood82 said:
    I was living in Chattanooga when this happened. The bullsheet was dubbed as hazing.
    I played football in high school, went to the U.S. Army afterwards, then got into the construction trades after that so I've had and done more than my fair share of hazing. Never ever, not once, did the thought of sodomizing some dude with anything come to mind.
    If UGA pulled in this kid I would be highly upset. I don't care how you spin it, if he took part in it he's a rapist, if he was around the act and didn't try to stop it then he's a coward. People can feel however they want but if this was my kid I would have probably beaten him to a state of mental incapacity before he got the chance to be recruited. That's Vol nation though, **** glad I'm a Dawg!!

Agree 100%. I played varsity football as a freshman in HS (and believe me I was subjected to substantial hazing by the upperclassmen on a daily basis that first year), joined a fraternity in college (again, there was a certain amount of hazing involved there)....after graduation joined the Marines and spent 20 years being subjected to what most people would consider brutal conditions...but NEVER did any of this ever involve anything even remotely close to what this kid admitted to. There's a big difference between getting stuffed into a locker or scrubbing a toilet with your bare hands and raping someone with a broom. That is just sick.

Yes sir, you're absolutely right. I've had some brutal **** done to me and passed it right down the line but nothing even close to pool cue rape

• andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

wish Pruitt good fortune but man he walked into a bon fire!

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,038 mod

Back in my day, 'hazing' was pulling the freshmen's gym shorts down during co-ed gym class. Seems to have escalated somewhat.

@ghostofuga1 said:
    Back in my day, 'hazing' was pulling the freshmen's gym shorts down during co-ed gym class. Seems to have escalated somewhat.

Yep. The military has really cracked down on hazing as well. A lot of old timers thought it was pussifying the service, but the problem is some people always take things too far. "Pinning" used to be a big deal. When someone got promoted or got their jump wings or something the tradition was to smack them on. Devices are typically metal with sharp spikes on the back. Then that turned into the video of the idiots in Ft. Benning pinning them on by punching them in as hard as they can. Some guys got pretty serious injuries. I've heard of people getting them stuck into bone. It's always idiots and psychopaths who take things too far and end up hurting someone.

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Wow this got dark quick...since the boosters on team Phil won out @ UT...will be interesting to see how far they push jp in order 2 validate $folks on team Phil. JP comes across a lot like his former boss RP.... imo both seem 2 be guys who will win @ all cost... but guys who don't like to be cornered.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@3rdshift said:
    Wow this got dark quick...since the boosters on team Phil won out @ UT...will be interesting to see how far they push jp in order 2 validate $folks on team Phil. JP comes across a lot like his former boss RP.... imo both seem 2 be guys who will win @ all cost... but guys who don't like to be cornered.

What are you even trying to say? So far I have translated - Phil to Phillip, JP to Jeremy Pruitt, @ to at. What does the rest even mean?

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:

@3rdshift said:

What are you even trying to say? So far I have translated - Phil to Phillip, JP to Jeremy Pruitt, @ to at. What does the rest even mean?

I'll take a stab....Since Fullmer was hired, the folks who supported him will now try to push hard (do what they can? ) to validate (whatever that means) UT boosters ($ folks). His former boss at Hoover High School was Rush Propst. who was dismissed from that job because he had an extra-marital affair. I do think RP would do anything to win - I don't know him at all - other than the special that was done on him on TV - but that's my "spidey sense". Maybe Pruitt is that way. "2 be" means "to be" as in to be or not to be. Of course, I could be (again) totally wrong. Would be good to know exactly what he meant by validate.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@JRT812 said:

@3rdshift said:

I'll take a stab....Since Fullmer was hired, the folks who supported him will now try to push hard (do what they can? ) to validate (whatever that means) UT boosters ($ folks). His former boss at Hoover High School was Rush Propst. who was dismissed from that job because he had an extra-marital affair. I do think RP would do anything to win - I don't know him at all - other than the special that was done on him on TV - but that's my "spidey sense". Maybe Pruitt is that way. "2 be" means "to be" as in to be or not to be. Of course, I could be (again) totally wrong. Would be good to know exactly what he meant by validate.

I think that is a good stab. Thanks for the clarification. Rush always came off like a creep and you’re correct on the “ win by any means necessary” mentality. I can see Pruitt in that same light.

• PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2018

The crime itself is from a demented mind, whoever they were that committed it. It reminds me of those sick puppies in all those true crime shows my wife is obsessed with, for whatever reason. Just....evil.

The situation itself is, since the perps were juvies, sealed and therefore hard to comment on. I can only pray that justice was done. It's now a hall of mirrors with landmines everywhere and I personally wouldn't go near it. On the other hand, it's so hypricital to see UT fans try to dismiss this while wishing broken legs and ACL tears for other kids that didn't choose them, but did simple things such as throw a hat or sing a tune with a buddy. They wonder why no one wants to coach or play there? Just look around....

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There’s lots of problems here. But I think the most obvious one that we’re looking at on top of the pile is how the thing was handled by Pruit.

There needed to be some kind of response, “I know I’m going to get a lot of flak for this. But for reasons other than winning I need to give kids I believe in like this kid a second chance. I believe whole heartedly this kid is a goody guy. And I am personally going to make sure he does well at the UT for himself and for the greater good of the univeristy, blah, blah, blah...”

Instead we got some kind of denial that he wasn’t on the list of people signing today and something about, “well, he’s just a blue shirt, etc...”

And if he was caught off guard by this whole situation like a lot of people think. He needed to just say he was caught off guard because of a harried recruiting season where he’s coaching Bama and starting a new job, etc, etc.. And he’s holding off signing the kid until he can look into the situation...

Just really blundered by Pruitt. Kirby made some first time head coach mistakes in ‘16. Thankfully nothing like this.

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Finally had a chance to watch the UT NSD press conference. I think Pruitt's in way over his head. Just listening to him talk and answer questions, I don't think he has a path/plan for bringing UT back to relevance. I don't know if he's cut out to be a HC. Should be a few more years of 41-0.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • gdawg4lifegdawg4life Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Raiderbeater said:

@Denmen185 said:
    I really don't want to comment on something that is written on line without personally really knowing the facts.

With regard to Pruitt I felt he was a good recruiter and descent DC during his time at UGA. I do not think he will be successful as a Head Coach as he lacks to people skills needed to deal with Administration and Boosters etc. It seems the players love him but IMO he has a problem with peers and others up the chain. JMO I have been wrong before.

Pruitt has never been anywhere that struggled with talent when he arrived. He (from an outside perspective) was a decent DC/assistant coach on already established successful programs. I wouldn’t necessarily call him a “coat-tail rider” but let’s just say the teams he was on would have won a lot of games regardless if he was there. Now he is in a foreign situation. A terrible team, without talent, a poor first recruiting class, a new position, anxious admins, and an unrealistic fan base that demands results immediately. I don’t have a feeling he will be successful. Something tells me this job is a springboard elsewhere. Pruitt has no loyalty or roots at UT or in the state of Tennessee at all.

In his defense, he definitely improved the defense at Georgia. We had the 45th ranked defense (total defense) in 2013. We moved to 17th in 2014 and 7th in 2015.

But I agree, he might be in for a tough ride at Tennessee. Not sure how many losses he can have before the fans turn on him.

As many of us heard while he was here, he rubbed a lot of people (staff and alumni) the wrong way. He seems to struggle with someone disagreeing with him and the first time Fulmer challenges him on something, the proverbial ish will hit the fan.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UT fans are fair weather fans. I lived near Knoxville in the middle ‘70s. Went to one football game. Bought 2 good tix for $2 each near the stadium. Later, as I was about to walk in, a guy handed me 4 more pair. Tried to sell them, finally gave them to a kid. The stadium was about 60% full. The ones that were there started filing out mid 3rd quarter. They may give Pruitt 2 years then point to Smart’s success to justify their discontentment with Pruitt.

@AndersonDawg said:
    UT fans are fair weather fans. I lived near Knoxville in the middle ‘70s. Went to one football game. Bought 2 good tix for $2 each near the stadium. Later, as I was about to walk in, a guy handed me 4 more pair. Tried to sell them, finally gave them to a kid. The stadium was about 60% full. The ones that were there started filing out mid 3rd quarter. They may give Pruitt 2 years then point to Smart’s success to justify their discontentment with Pruitt.

I think Pruitt is about as good as they are going to get. If they run him out after two years, who is going to want to take the job? Maybe Mike Leach will still be willing to leave the frozen tundra of the Palouse...but other than that it is going to be slim pickins' to find quality guy to take over that disaster.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

Yep. The military has really cracked down on hazing as well. A lot of old timers thought it was pussifying the service, but the problem is some people always take things too far. "Pinning" used to be a big deal. When someone got promoted or got their jump wings or something the tradition was to smack them on. Devices are typically metal with sharp spikes on the back. Then that turned into the video of the idiots in Ft. Benning pinning them on by punching them in as hard as they can. Some guys got pretty serious injuries. I've heard of people getting them stuck into bone. It's always idiots and psychopaths who take things too far and end up hurting someone.

Still remember getting my blood rank (E-5, & E-6) ... thankfully not my E-7 & E-8.... unfortunately you are correct aboit some idiots taking it to far

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

I think Pruitt is about as good as they are going to get. If they run him out after two years, who is going to want to take the job? Maybe Mike Leach will still be willing to leave the frozen tundra of the Palouse...but other than that it is going to be slim pickins' to find quality guy to take over that disaster.

I don't know if that's true. They have talent and I hear Jon Gruden is even interested.