Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Completely meaningless Poll.... Or is it?

cusedawgcusedawg Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

This poll, regarding the perception of college teams by current High School football recruits, caught my eye. Georgia is top five, but the rest of the SEC, including Bama, trail by quite a bit....

http://picksixpreviews.com/how_to_win_in_recruiting.html

Comments

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not a statistician, but what do those #'s actually mean. Does Clemson have an 87% chance of landing any player it wants? In how many recruiting cycles is that accurate? Is that accurate over millions and millions of potential recruits? Seems just a bit hokey to me. How might it change from year to year? If Clemson doesn't win a NC next year and OSU does, how will that change the rankings, if at all? UCLA surprised me at # 12 as did MSU at # 11. I think just about anyone on this board could have come up with the top 10 although not necessarily in that same exact order. Plus, 244 is not a huge sample size. I wonder how independent of each other recruits are...seems like a previous choice (or coin flip) can influence other choices (coin flips) like Justin Fields or Richie LeCount influenced other choices.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2018

First thing I will add is that I looked over a good bit of that website. Can you say, "Garbage?" The guy actually tried to compare coaching success by looking at the number of 4-5 star recruits that a HC sent to the NFL, and assigned a success percentage. They ranked Jim Mora #1 because 5 of 9 (56%) of 4/5 star recruits were drafted. Gary Patterson came in 4th with 43% by having 3 of 7 of the 4/5 star recruits drafted that he has signed. The suggestion is that those two are better coaches with player development than Saban, Meyer, Fisher, and Richt with the proof being a comparison of a sample size of less than 10 versus the other 4 coaches nearly 90+ blue chip recruits. That's like saying the awkward momma's boy who married the girl he gave his virginity to after college is better with the ladies because his dating to marriage conversion rate is better than 50%. Ridiculous. I don't know how anyone would even put such a study out for public consumption.

As for the current "study" - define 'perception'. I'd like to see what questions were actually asked, and how they were worded. Temporary barometer at best and not really much more, imo. Nobody will convince me that Georgia had a better perception than Alabama AMONG FOOTBALL RECRUITS prior to this year, and it would be an uphill climb to convince me that is true across the board today. Might be true with in-state kids who have a built in bias whether they realize it or not, but I doubt that would translate in a national poll. Seven straight #1 recruiting classes is the only poll that matters.