Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Will Chase Elliott ever be a top contender ?...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I thought he was destined to become the next great driver from the heart of NASCAR country, so far it just hasn't happened though.
Since he had that great streak as a senior in HS he hasn't won a race. He was shut out his last year before jumping to the top level and didn't win a race either of his first 2 seasons on the top circuit.
He almost won, and should have won last's year's Daytona 500, he was running 33 tody last I checked.
I think the sport needs him to imerge, the core fans really haven't had an iconic star since Dale Earnhardt.
When you watch a western you want cowboys, NASCAR is starved for cowboys.

Do you think the kid will get over the hump, or is he an almost ?

Comments

• Options
    PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Been a racing fan as long or longer than I’ve been a Dawg fan. NASCAR’s Monster series is awful now, ESPECIALLY the restrictor plate races. I’ll watch the entire Camping World Truck races but only the last few laps of the Xfinity & Monster series, if any. It ain’t racing any more. Would love for Chase Elliott to get over the hump and take over, though. So sick of the Logano & Kesoloser types.

• Options
    BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t follow NASCAR, just watch the 500 with my dad. Elliott was running second when he wrecked.

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I attended my first Cup Race in 1990 and was a huge Mark Martin fan. A good friend who was my co-worker in my old profession ran late model & limited sportsman in Virginia and North Carolina was the person who got me interested. Spent some time in his shop learning how they build the cars and set them up for races. He won a Late Model race at the old North Wilksboro track.

I attended probably 20 races at Richmond, 6 at Martinsville, 2 at Charlotte and one Cup race at North Wilksboro. Charlotte was fast, Martinsville was fun, but some of the best racing was at Richmond where they had some excellent two groove side by side racing lap after lap.

Watching today, but I don’t follow the sport weekly as I did in the 90’s until Martin retired. He should have eased Harvick up towards the wall to hold onto the lead that year at Daytona. I guess Mark Martin was the Mark Richt of NASCAR, nice guy who could not win the big one.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,041 mod

I used to watch it way back when it was " he who had the fastest car" won. Got boring when fiberglass took over and all the cars looked the same. Not to add all the restrictions placed on every nut and bolt. Started to get boring and has since got worse. Really been driven into the ground....pun intended!!

• Options

@BoroDawg said:
    I don’t follow NASCAR, just watch the 500 with my dad. Elliott was running second when he wrecked.

He made a mistake while in position to win last year and he said it was his mistake today as well.
    Either he's snake bit or he's just a pint short.

• Options
    edited February 2018

@ghostofuga1 said:
    I used to watch it way back when it was " he who had the fastest car" won. Got boring when fiberglass took over and all the cars looked the same. Not to add all the restrictions placed on every nut and bolt. Started to get boring and has since got worse. Really been driven into the ground....pun intended!!

The clone car, over-expansion and no great drivers from NASCAR's core territory all seem to have played a role in the sport's decline.
    It wasn't that long ago when it was the fastest growing major sport in the country. That was when Earnhardt and Gordon were racing each other, bump drafting and sling shot passes were art forms and you could still buy moon shine at the track..ok, maybe not that one.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The plate races ****, do like Dale Sr. said “ build higher fences and turn’em loose.” Chase is a good driver and his time will come, so far though it’s been wrong place at the wrong time.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

I just wanna know why they keep blackballing Cole Trickle? Guess the good ol boy network is alive and well in NASCAR

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    I just wanna know why they keep blackballing Cole Trickle? Guess the good ol boy network is alive and well in NASCAR

If Cole Trickle was based on Tim Richmond, like it was alleged, he's dead now.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

@UnderDog68 said:

@Kasey said:

Oh wow...never knew that. I love that movie

• Options

@orlando said:
    The plate races ****, do like Dale Sr. said “ build higher fences and turn’em loose.” Chase is a good driver and his time will come, so far though it’s been wrong place at the wrong time.

He made mistakes that cost him a shot at winning The Daytona 500 both last year and this year.
    Does he get nervous when it gets down to the end game, if so will he grow out of it ?
    The fact is he only had a few weeks when he was in high school where he was closing out races.
    It's now been 4 years since he's won a race.

• Options
    andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

Awesome Bill began his Winston Cup career in 1976 and didn't record his first win until 1981. Chase is an aggressive and fearless driver. He needs to and will learn when to use his aggressiveness. Martin Truex took quite a while but when he broke through he became nearly unbeatable. Chase will be just fine. Miss the #24 though.

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2018

@Kasey said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@Kasey said:

Oh wow...never knew that. I love that movie

Yep. Richmond died from complications of AIDS, contracted from one of his numerous trysts with groupies, on August 13th, 1989.

That movie was pretty good, but it is often laughed at by real drivers, who know that if you used the same track tactics as Cole Trickle, Rowdy Burns, (based on Dale Earnhardt, Sr., by the way) or Russ Wheeler....you'd likely kill someone or be killed, yourself.

On another note, the feud between Trickle and Burns at the beginning of the movie was based on a real feud between Earnhardt, Sr., and Geoff Bodine during the early to mid 80s. And they were both called to Bill France's office to stop the feud immediately.....at which time France threatened to suspend them if they kept it up....just like the meeting in the movie between Burns and Trickle in 'Big John's' office.

• Options

@andrews1253 said:
    Awesome Bill began his Winston Cup career in 1976 and didn't record his first win until 1981. Chase is an aggressive and fearless driver. He needs to and will learn when to use his aggressiveness. Martin Truex took quite a while but when he broke through he became nearly unbeatable. Chase will be just fine. Miss the #24 though.

Those were different times and Bill was starting out with a green family run operation.
    Chase has the very best setup in the sport. I'm in the wait and see camp but other young drivers have passed Chase, including the winner of yesterday's race.

• Options

How's this for wild stats ?

In the past 2 seasons plus 1 race Jimmie Johnson has 15 top 5 and 27 top 10 finishes. He has won 8 races over that period.
    Chase has 22 top 5 finishes, 38 top 10 finishes and has 0 wins...wow, snake bit or hasn't figured out how to finish a race ?

• Options
    andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg said:
    How's this for wild stats ?

In the past 2 seasons plus 1 race Jimmie Johnson has 15 top 5 and 27 top 10 finishes. He has won 8 races over that period.
    Chase has 22 top 5 finishes, 38 top 10 finishes and has 0 wins...wow, snake bit or hasn't figured out how to finish a race ?

you figure that one out let me know! he was taken out twice at the end of races he would have won. go figure?