Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Daily Double: Is this the end for Mark Fox?

DawgNationDailyDawgNationDaily Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

here it is...

Comments

• Options
    cfc136cfc136 Posts: 61 ✭✭ Sophomore

As a long time basketball fan I have been frustrated with your comments BA .Your comments about the program and it's ability win are right to a certain extent .But to question the potential of this basketball program goes to far . The money that has gone into the basketball program in itself proves my point that those in the athletic program believe that Uga can win at the highest of levels in college basketball . So lay off the potential of the basketball program stuff because this program can and should always try to win a national championship!

• Options
    mqg96mqg96 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

^^^^ Georgia basketball hasn't won a NCAA tournament game since 2002, which is the longest drought out of any SEC team. Even Alabama and Auburn who are deemed as college football only states have been more successful in basketball than us in recent years which is pathetic. Tennessee, South Carolina, and definitely Florida for sure have all been more successful in basketball than Georgia in the last decade. Look how far the South Carolina basketball team made it in the tournament last season, so there's no excuses. We continue to accept mediocrity over and over again. Mark Fox just lost the #1 point guard in the country (another decommit) and he blew a late 4th quarter lead and clock management to Texas A&M, that should be the final nail in the coffin for him.

• Options
    DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I would think that after all of the fallout from this FBI nonsense, Fox is a keeper. For my tax money paying the FBI, I wish they would focus on things that really matter. Let's say, Terror Cells in America. That might be a better use of our tax payer money. Or listening to and acting on the tips they got concerning the kid that shot up that high school in FL. The FBI just comes off as a bunch of clowns.

• Options
    CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

Can someone give a legit reason why UGA wouldn't fire Fox?

• Options
    DawgNationDailyDawgNationDaily Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I, of course, think UGA should "try" to win championships. I think, however, that it's also important to address why the program isn't winning at the highest level. Doesn't it all come down to talent acquisition? I think it's probably appropriate to ask why UGA isn't acquiring that talent. Is it because of reasons UGA can control, or are there issues beyond the program's control? I'm honestly not sure because I don't know that much about basketball recruiting, but I think those are the points that the program's got to address.

Ba.

• Options
    andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

BA- highly ranked recruits have aspirations of playing in the NBA. Unfortunately many parents push in that direction and successful coaches and programs increase the odds. Everyone talks about the large talent base in the state of Georgia. But these kids for the most part want to play for successful programs and coaches for obvious reasons. A tremendous commitment and investment would have to be made to develop a successful program here. The commitment seems to be lacking at Georgia. That is where I think McGarity is failing. Hire the right coaches and the Georgia fan base has proven they will respond.

• Options
    mqg96mqg96 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

After two more tough loses that we had good chances to win, it seems inevitable that CMF will be gone after this year. While it's true that Georgia produces it share of high school basketball talent, it has always been hard for a 'dawg coach to get in-state recruits to come and play for the home state team. Mark Fox might not be a great coach but his downfall was the failure to recruit better talent to go along with Maten. I don't see a big-name coach coming to Georgia, think we'll have to try and get a coach from a smaller school or give an assistant at one of the big-name schools his first chance at being a head coach. Maybe a new coach will come in, have a couple of good years, and build the program up to where it can attract the top-level in-state talent. Then it will be on the administration to keep him at Georgia.

• Options

I will give HcMF credit . He left this program in a lot better shape than Dennis felton..

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgNationDaily said:
    I, of course, think UGA should "try" to win championships. I think, however, that it's also important to address why the program isn't winning at the highest level. Doesn't it all come down to talent acquisition? I think it's probably appropriate to ask why UGA isn't acquiring that talent. Is it because of reasons UGA can control, or are there issues beyond the program's control? I'm honestly not sure because I don't know that much about basketball recruiting, but I think those are the points that the program's got to address.

Ba.

Fox is a gosh awful offensive coach, he can't consistently motivate players and he either doesn't know a shooter when he sees one or he can't teach players how to shoot properly. You don't have to have 5 star talent to have more than one player who can hit the side of a barn with a beach ball.

• Options

@DawgNationDaily said:

Ba.

It is time to go after a huge name coach. Let the athletic board and Greg McGarity show the fans that they mean what they have done by putting in all the money they have spent in improving the facilities Get a guy in here that has won a national championship or has gotten to that game and you have instant cred . Change things up.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cfc136 said:

@DawgNationDaily said:

Ba.

It is time to go after a huge name coach. Let the athletic board and Greg McGarity show the fans that they mean what they have done by putting in all the money they have spent in improving the facilities Get a guy in here that has won a national championship or has gotten to that game and you have instant cred . Change things up.

And which NC coach would you lure to Athens?

• Options

Billy tubbs .His still is what we need.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cfc136 said:
    Billy tubbs .His still is what we need.

You want Billy Tubbs? When did he last coach? Isn't he kind of old/ancient/rusty?

• Options

And not caught up in this current college basketball scandal .bring him in four 4 years and let him name the next head coach .That is one of the reasons he left the sooners .

• Options

He went to the ncaa every place he coached .

• Options
    CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

Fox is always out coached. He has never won a game by out coaching someone. 9 years of this mess is enough for me to handle. Too much talent in GA not to find quality players. The Parker kid from Miller Grove I believe was supposed to be a stud but hasn't never delivered. Either he was overrated or not developed.