Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Diamond Dawgs

jb6423jb6423 Posts: 31 ✭✭ Sophomore

Are we stuck with Stricklin as our coach? Because I’m tired of being mediocre and hearing every excuse under the sun. What will it take for McGarity to make a change??

Comments

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jb6423 said:
    Are we stuck with Stricklin as our coach? Because I’m tired of being mediocre and hearing every excuse under the sun. What will it take for McGarity to make a change??

Aren't the diamond dogs doing ok so far this year?

• Options

I don’t call being swept by the College of Charleston doing ok

• Options
    DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2018

McGarity should never have fired Perno.

• Options
    CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

Embarrassing to get swept by College of Charleston in my opinion.

• Options
    DawgBKDawgBK Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'll be curious to see how we look compared to league play. Hard to gauge how "good" we look right now. But yea have no business getting swept by them.

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

College of Charleston is actually a very good baseball program. But yeah UGA shouldn't be having this convo right now regardless

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Acrum21 said:
    College of Charleston is actually a very good baseball program. But yeah UGA shouldn't be having this convo right now regardless

I agree @Acrum21 . College of Charleston is a legit team. Playing college and professional ball for awhile, I know that nearly EVERY college has some ballers. Just depends on what kind of starting pitching these smaller schools get from their starters because they don't have bullpen depth. Keegan's been on fire, but Curry and Shepard REALLY are gonna have to carry this team along with McGovern. 7-1 start then getting swept is unacceptable to ANY team IF we've turned the corner. I personally think we should have made a change last year. The only silver lining I see as of today is we do have some younger pitchers that SHOULD be pretty salty soon.

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

College of Charleston is a baseball school. You can say we shouldn’t get swept but it is a focus for the school so they aren’t no slouch in the college baseball world. Also Georgia is playing 7 games in 8 days right now. Could have been 8 for 8 but their was a rain out. Which is unheard of in college baseball till tournament time. Give this team a chance before writing them off. It is very early in the baseball season and sometimes teams get swept when they shouldn’t. As the great Bobby Cox said “it’s about winning series not games.” It just wasn’t their weekend.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dbrown7494 said:
    College of Charleston is a baseball school. You can say we shouldn’t get swept but it is a focus for the school so they aren’t no slouch in the college baseball world. Also Georgia is playing 7 games in 8 days right now. Could have been 8 for 8 but their was a rain out. Which is unheard of in college baseball till tournament time. Give this team a chance before writing them off. It is very early in the baseball season and sometimes teams get swept when they shouldn’t. As the great Bobby Cox said “it’s about winning series not games.” It just wasn’t their weekend.

Hence my earlier post asking "aren't they having a pretty good year so far"? except for this blip, it's been pretty good. I hope this was merely a blip.

• Options

Another embarrassment tonight, can’t even hold a 3 run lead in the 9th. I want to see the silver lining but the hope fades a little every game and we’re not even in league play.

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MacDawg15 Where you playing out of? I played 2 years at a JUCO and hung em up but I worked for the SID at Ga So for 2 years so I got to see a lot of Sun Belt/ Southern Conference teams. College of Charleston always had a strong lineup and several plus arms. But you're 100% right, for this team to not even salvage a game says a lot to me. UGA came down to Southern my senior year I think it was Stricklands 2nd season, it just feels like the same team.

• Options
    Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

While the state of Georgia is rightfully recognized as one of the hotbeds of amateur baseball talent in America, the Dogs have historically been out-recruited by out of state baseball programs as well as in many cases other in-state schools. We all can easily see the mediocre seasons that seem to come and go each year, but a closer look kinda shows a clearer picture. A little research reveals these facts: Since 2010 the Dogs have a record of 10-13 vs. Ga.. Tech, 8-10 vs Ga. Southern, 7-8 vs Kennesaw State and 2-5 vs Mercer. The only winning records we have is 3-2 vs Ga. State and 2-0 vs Savannah State., making the overall record against in-state schools 30 wins and 38 losses. The only excuse that can be made is that "We didn't use our conference starters in these out of conference games" Well guess what, all these teams are in conferences and they didn't use their conference starters either. This should be an embarrassing situation except for the fact that no one seems to notice or care.

• Options
    SIlverCreekDawgSIlverCreekDawg Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stricklin is a dead man walking. Can't recruit and has cheesed off many major players in Georgia HS baseball.

The schedule up until this weekend has been softer than a down pillow. UGA will not win 10 games in SEC play.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fox needs to swing by and pick up Stricklin on his way out of Athens.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was surprised that Stricklin was retained after last season. I imagine Magarity viewed the stronger finish to the season as turning some sort of corner. Not sure I share his optimistic appraisal. Have a friend with coaching connections and word last spring was that there had been at least preliminary conversations with Mercer's coach gauging his interest in the UGA job. No idea where things went from there.

• Options

What a joke our baseball program is

• Options
    DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SIlverCreekDawg said:
    Stricklin is a dead man walking. Can't recruit and has cheesed off many major players in Georgia HS baseball.

The schedule up until this weekend has been softer than a down pillow. UGA will not win 10 games in SEC play.

For the players, I hope you're wrong. And the count is now down to 9.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Talk amongst the athletic dept is that they are soft because Stricklin babies them.

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Aaron Shunk is a stud. Can do it all, and is our best bet at closer. We HAVE to figure out our bullpen for the middle innings tho. Alot of young talent. The question is Stricklin who can get us back to where we were in 08? Emerson Hancock and Webb just got our 1st 2 SEC wins as true freshmen.