Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Fox Fired

CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

Per espn Fox has been fired! Thank goodness.

Comments

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nothing but respect for Fox, but he simply didn’t get the job done.

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2018

@donm said:

@Kasey said:
    Hope no one ever jumps for joy when you lose your job. Have a little respect for the man. I understand he was well paid and will be again but sheesh dude.

Especially when he’s a very decent guy like Fox. I hope he can rebound.

While the change is warranted from the performance on the court, there are five other staff members and families impacted. Even when assistant coaches move by their own choice, I wonder what it is like for some kids who have to move multiple times leaving their friends their behind.

• Options

@Kasey said:
    Hope no one ever jumps for joy when you lose your job. Have a little respect for the man. I understand he was well paid and will be again but sheesh dude.

I have plenty of respect for these guys but when your paid a kings ransom to do a job and you don’t get it done, it’s time to move on. He’s getting $1.1 million to be fired, hard to feel bad.

• Options

@BobcatGrad said:

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

While the change is warranted from the performance on the court, there are five other staff members and families impacted. Even when assistant coaches move by their own choice, I wonder what it is like for some kids who have to move multiple times leaving their friends their behind.

It’s the nature of the beast in the business. Each coach and their families understand that when thy sign up. They all make very nice salaries and will land at another school. Again it’s how it works in college coaching.

• Options

@donm said:

Decent guys don’t necessarily win enough to make it to the NCAA tournament. If you like mediocrity then Fox is your guy. He’s not a big time coach and continually was outcoached. He gets paid too much and there too much talent in GA not to be in the NCAA every year.

• Options
    andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

The real problem lies with McGarity. Many may wish Fox were still here when his successor is named.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@CoachRob16 said:

@donm said:

Decent guys don’t necessarily win enough to make it to the NCAA tournament. If you like mediocrity then Fox is your guy. He’s not a big time coach and continually was outcoached. He gets paid too much and there too much talent in GA not to be in the NCAA every year.

No one ever said that. Just saying the man deserved your respect not hooting and hollering in happiness about him losing his job. It was time for a change (much like it was with Richt) but that doesn't mean it has to be an overly joyous occasion the day it actually happens. Maybe go for a walk and not take this stuff so seriously today. These people have feelings too. Kids lost a coach who recruited them, assistants are going to lose their jobs. Yes it's a nature of the business, but maybe save the "woo-hoos" for tomorrow is all I'm saying

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He did a lot better job than what you are giving him credit for. Do you remember what the program looked like when he first got here. It was way worst than where it is now. You need to calm down. You act like he was only winning 10 games a year or something. Fox has been the most consistent coach since Durham. Fox teams where consistently over 500 which says a lot for the program which has never been really relative in basketball.

• Options
    mqg96mqg96 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@dbrown7494 said:
    He did a lot better job than what you are giving him credit for. Do you remember what the program looked like when he first got here. It was way worst than where it is now. You need to calm down. You act like he was only winning 10 games a year or something. Fox has been the most consistent coach since Durham. Fox teams where consistently over 500 which says a lot for the program which has never been really relative in basketball.

2002 was the last time Georgia won a NCAA tournament game, which is the longest drought out of any SEC team. Mark Fox only had a UGA team ranked in the top 25 once his entire career for a week. In his 9 year career he only had 2 NCAA tournament appearances and was one & done in each of them. Georgia wasted a lot of highly talented players throughout Fox's career, and when the AP SEC player of the year did not make a NCAA tournament appearance for the first time in decades, and an APP SEC player of the year was on a team who had a losing SEC record for the first time since 1971 Mississippi State. Yeah, that says a lot. I'm not asking Georgia to be Kentucky good, but when your rivals such as South Carolina, Tennessee, and Florida can be way more successful in basketball than you in the past decade or so. No more excuses.

• Options
    dawgbybirthdawgbybirth Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It is a shame that Mark Fox was not successful. Appreciate the character and person and wish him well. Winning matters .

• Options

I'm guessing that those who want sympathy for Fox are also wanting participation trophy's we well. The man is paid millions to win games and get to the NCAA Tournament on a regular basis. Not be a good guy and only make two trips and not win either time in the tournament. Again if your happy with being mediocre then I get it, Fox is your guy. I don't accept mediocrity and won't ever. Especially with the talent in the state of GA. If SC can make it to the Final Four why not UGA? If Tenn and Auburn can be very competitive again and high seeds in the NCAA Tournament then why not UGA. Make zero sense when this state has far more talent to offer and very few of them actually stay home and play basketball.

• Options

@dbrown7494 said:

He did? Two NCAA trips and not a single win in the tournament? How is that better. Heck Felton won the SEC Tournament at least as bad as he was. Fox never can say that. They were over .500 due to a very poor out of conference schedule each year. For nine seasons he had zero offensive strategy or identity and wasted a few good players he actually got to come to UGA. 77-79 in SEC play, yeah thats impressive.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@CoachRob16 said:
    I'm guessing that those who want sympathy for Fox are also wanting participation trophy's we well. The man is paid millions to win games and get to the NCAA Tournament on a regular basis. Not be a good guy and only make two trips and not win either time in the tournament. Again if your happy with being mediocre then I get it, Fox is your guy. I don't accept mediocrity and won't ever. Especially with the talent in the state of GA. If SC can make it to the Final Four why not UGA? If Tenn and Auburn can be very competitive again and high seeds in the NCAA Tournament then why not UGA. Make zero sense when this state has far more talent to offer and very few of them actually stay home and play basketball.

You have a PhD in missing the point. Save your old man rhetoric about participation trophies. All I said is maybe for the day it happens save your joy over his firing for a few days after the fact. Carry on