Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Fox is gone, but can we stop the gloating?

BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good article by @sethemerson: https://www.dawgnation.com/mens-basketball/mark-fox-coaching-changes-public-doesnt-see

Whether or not you thought it was time for a change in leadership for UGA basketball, I just don't think anyone should gloat over a coach's termination. Especially a decent guy/DGD like Fox. We're better than that Dawg Nation.
Just one Dawg's opinion...

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BullyDawg said:
    Good article by @sethemerson: https://www.dawgnation.com/mens-basketball/mark-fox-coaching-changes-public-doesnt-see

Whether or not you thought it was time for a change in leadership for UGA basketball, I just don't think anyone should gloat over a coach's termination. Especially a decent guy/DGD like Fox. We're better than that Dawg Nation.
    Just one Dawg's opinion...

I haven't read through every post, but I haven't yet seen where anybody is gloating.
    Agreeing with a decision isn't remotely like gloating.

Seth likely has a good relationship with Fox, it happens a lot with sports reporters.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good article by Seth. Hate it that CMF wasn't able to get the players necessary to produce better records at UGA, in all other areas did a good job. He was a good representative for the university and by all accounts ran a clean program. I hope the new coach can maintain his high standards while getting better results on the court.

@coastaldawg said:
    Good article by Seth. Hate it that CMF wasn't able to get the players necessary to produce better records at UGA, in all other areas did a good job. He was a good representative for the university and by all accounts ran a clean program. I hope the new coach can maintain his high standards while getting better results on the court.

Blame it on the players..that really doesn't explain many of the chronic issues Fox had.
    He couldn't get players to become instinctive in his offense, that is coaching. Also you don't have to land 5 star guys to be able to shoot the dang ball.

• mleemlee Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think UGA made a mistake here but I hope I’m wrong and they turn it around..

• dawgdude65dawgdude65 Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

I will never gloat over anyone losing a job, no matter how much they get paid or the reason for the firing. I have been there more then once with companies outsourcing to other countries. Even though it's not exactly the same, it will still hurt the person and the family. If you have ever been there it hurts your pride, your manhood, and the confidence. But I especially will not gloat over a man like Mark Fox losing a job. He has raised the bar of the program, I know not to the greatest of heights, but he made it better. The right way. In most sports programs that's the way it works. You have a coach come in and improve the program but they just can't get over the hump so he loses his job and the next guy comes in and takes it another step or all the way. Mark Fox is a really good coach, and an even greater person, and if the play for pay scandal would have happened a few years ago, and made recruiting a fairer playing court, I think Fox would not have been fired, but I think UGA would be fighting to keep him. God bless Coach and may he bless you in your next position. Which by the way I heard a rumor about a certain schools AD job he would fit nicely in...

edited March 2018

@mlee said:

Fox had 0 tourney wins in 9 seasons, how wrong could making a change be ?
    Also while Fox is clearly a decent man he scapegoated players, McGarity and The AAU to deflect from what was HIS shortcomings.

• MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@coastaldawg said:

Blame it on the players..that really doesn't explain many of the chronic issues Fox had.
    He couldn't get players to become instinctive in his offense, that is coaching. Also you don't have to land 5 star guys to be able to shoot the dang ball.

Agree....definitely some short-comings in the actual coaching of the players that we did/do have. When you consistently turn the ball over more than the other team, repeatedly can't beat a basic press, and have a pattern of long scoring droughts, especially at end of games, etc, etc....there is an actual basketball coaching problem that needed to be corrected. Wish Fox the best of luck. Indeed, he seems like a nice guy, but this was absolutely the right move.

• PerfectdawgPerfectdawg Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

i am reallllly thinking he really really underused my hometown guy Tyree Crump. You have to score points and I have always thought he was the best pure three point shooter on the team. My thoughts were back up by at least three columns I have read that Fox would have scored more points if he had left Tyree in the game for more minutes. Yes, he is not a defensive wizard just yet. To win any game you have to score more points than the opponent. Dawgs were dead last this year in PPG category if Im not badly mistaken. Good decision to change and lets hope Thad Matta gets paid to keep improving on the base we have now.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA led at the half and lost to SDSU, UF, Ark, Aub, Mizz, and UK. Add those 6 games, plus the 5 conference wins, and we are in the Dance as probably a 6 seed. It reminded me of when Donnan was always getting out coached at halftime. Good man, but time for a change. We DO have some talented players in Athens for the next MAN to build on - and yes, I did add emphasis for a reason. We dont need to try the woman's experiment.

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Also 3rd winningest coach in school history so

• ajf611ajf611 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

@dbrown7494 said:
    Also 3rd winningest coach in school history so

But, he averaged more games played per year than prior coaches. Not trying to downplay him, but you have to factor that in.

@Pigeons said:

@WCDawg said:

@mlee said:

Fox had 0 tourney wins in 9 seasons, how wrong could making a change be ?
    Also while Fox is clearly a decent man he scapegoated players, McGarity and The AAU to deflect from what was HIS shortcomings.

UGA only has 10 tourney appearances in school history. He had 2 or 20% of them. That being said, we can do better.

The program was like the character in The Princess Bride, it was only MOSTLY DEAD.
    20% of next to nothing doesn't add up to much.
    We've won 3 NCAA Tourney games over the past 31 years. Either go for more or drop the program.

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"Gloating" to me includes continuing to throw dirt on the grave after the decision has been made. Fox is gone because of the program's lack of success. Now we are looking for a new (and better) coach. A majority of the Dawg Nation is behind this decision.

Just don't understand the need for some fans to continue to bash the former coach and repeat ad nauseam the very failings upon which the termination was based? Time to move on and move forward, Dawg Nation...

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@BojanglesInsider said:
    ill-tempered goatee Miami drug lord that grabs zebras and yells at them.

:D