Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Jeff Capel III (Duke asst): Viable candidate at UGA?

BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Why is no one talking about Jeff Capel III at Duke as a possible head coach at UGA? Some have speculated he is HCIW at Duke, and Coach K sure ain't getting any younger. But shouldn't UGA at least kick the tires?

Comments

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He would just Tubby Smith us down the road , but may be worth it for a decent couple years

• Options
    klw74UGAklw74UGA Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

Same for Marshall, Mack, Few, etc. Are we asking?

• Options
    DawgFan69DawgFan69 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

What about Sheyer? Younger, also learned under K, and he's a proven recruiter. He would also be a lot cheaper than a lot of these options, and being a young assistant coach, he may be hungry to prove himself.

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Strange how I rode the elevator with Tubby on the elevator last month in Atlanta and then saw Coach K (I saw the Devil Thread) a couple of days later.

I would be fine with Tubby as a bridge to Hayes.

Not sure if Capel would be interested, but UGA should reach out. If he did great and left us to return to Duke, it would not be the end of the world considering our current status.

• Options
    TARDAWGTARDAWG Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

Capel is a recruiter, but not much of a coach. As mentioned above, the word around Durham is that Scheyer "Face" is the best on the dook bench. Problem is, 5 years down the road he may leave to return to take the dook job. While we are the dook tree, I think Wojo, or Hurley would be better than Capel. Capel had his chance and failed at Oklahoma.

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I vote we call Donavan up and offer him the world to see if he would come back to college and coach.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dbrown7494 said:
    I vote we call Donavan up and offer him the world to see if he would come back to college and coach.

As in Billy Donovan? If so, I think he's pretty happy being the 4th seed in the western conference of the NBA. Also, hard to compete with his 5 year 30 million dollar contract.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@dbrown7494 said:

As in Billy Donovan? If so, I think he's pretty happy being the 4th seed in the western conference of the NBA. Also, hard to compete with his 5 year 30 million dollar contract.

A good friend of mine works with Donovan and reports he is quite happy with his situation in OKC. Don't think he'd be a viable option. Of course, phone calls don't cost much, even nowadays.

• Options
    Dawg19Dawg19 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Let me leave Florida where I've had a ton of success to go to the NBA and make a lot more money, and then come back to coach UGA...seems logical lol

• Options
    CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

Capel isn't HC material. Wasn't impressed with his tenure at OK. Plus they were on probation. Good recruiter. Think of Ray Goff. As for Marshall,Mack and Few aren't leaving their nice comfy jobs and salaries there.

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dbrown7494 said:

Maybe Kirby will loan him his helicopter?

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The thought of being 4th in the West but also probably the 6th or 7th best team in the NBA. Would make him think about it.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

6 million a year on average in the NBA is more than UGA would’ve paid him.