Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Jonas Hayes

2»

Comments

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@sethemerson said:
    As I said when that report came out last Friday about Hayes being retained, it was premature. Crean has offered Hayes a chance to stay, but Hayes hasn't accepted yet, and is weighing other possibilities.

Does it seem to anyone else that it's taking a long time for Jonas to accept or decline the offer? This isn't likely good news, is it?

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@sethemerson said:
    As I said when that report came out last Friday about Hayes being retained, it was premature. Crean has offered Hayes a chance to stay, but Hayes hasn't accepted yet, and is weighing other possibilities.

Does it seem to anyone else that it's taking a long time for Jonas to accept or decline the offer? This isn't likely good news, is it?

Agreed. If he were weighing an offer to be a HC at a smaller school then you'd have to think the other school would have forced a decision by now. He must be weighing an offer from a true basketball school as an assistant, or maybe more money from someone else. Maybe he wants more guarantees in the contract but McGarrity is the problem.

• Jinx55Jinx55 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Does anybody know when his current contract is up?? I heard the summer but wasn't sure.

Also, I know Dollar and Crean were out on the recruiting trail talking to a 3 star from the 18 class and a 4 star from the 19 class, but wasn't sure if Jonas was seen recently with Crean at all??

• Jinx55Jinx55 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Apparently folks are saying he is heading to Xavier as an assistant. We will see when this is announced but apparently he wanted a chance to show folks he wasn't just a product of UGA alone and has the ability to bring the same coaching recruiting to a basketball school.

With a new coach at Xavier this will be interesting for sure.

• CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

@DirtDawg said:
    Jonas is one of the greatest two hoop Dawgs ever.

I'm a hoops fan, not a coach. I don't think I should tell Coach Crean who he needs to hire.

Not even close to top two best bulldogs ever to play basketball. Come on.

• Dakota_NesterDakota_Nester Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Officially gone to Xavier. He had an offer from UGA but decided to leave elsewhere.

• CJ_DawgCJ_Dawg Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman
  • greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bad break for the new crew. Not only does it hurt recruiting, but it is a bad sign that Hayes decides to not accept Crean’s invitation to stay. On the bright side, it gives us a chance to start fresh. Part of the reason we brought in Crean was his ability to build a staff and recruit. Let’s see what happens.

• CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

Everyone wants to spread their wings differently. Wishing him nothing but the best.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Meh. I dont think he was going to make or break a program.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Prob upset he wasn’t in contention for the HC job. Wish him well.

@Bankwalker said:
    Meh. I dont think he was going to make or break a program.

I do think he’d have been a BIG help. One or two solid recruits can turn a team 180 degrees.

• KyotoPhantasyKyotoPhantasy Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

Jonas will always be a Dawg and am thankful for his time here, but at the end of the day he was a bright spot on a sinking ship. A clean start may end up being better in the long run.

@KyotoPhantasy said:
    Jonas will always be a Dawg and am thankful for his time here, but at the end of the day he was a bright spot on a sinking ship. A clean start may end up being better in the long run.

How so?