Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The Braves Are Good Right now

2»

Comments

• Options
    corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bigcalidawg said:
    I say Markakis gets traded at the break.

I was going to post the same thing

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Tucker is a 2 week wonder, at least that is all he's done so far.

Would be a decent rebuttal if 2 weeks wasn’t all we have to go on for the season

Of course Tucker could have his breakthrough season at 27 years old, but that would be an exception.
    I've seen too many late 20s minor league wonders fade on the big stage to get excited though.

• Options

@TheSmartWay said:
    Inciarte, Markakis, Albies, Freeman, Acuna, Swanson isn't bad at all. Throw in one or two surprises, (helloooo, Preston Tucker) and our lineup could be stellar. Tehran still needs to put it all together in a bigger way, plus Newcomb and Folty have to continue to throw strikes like they have through the first few games. If things go our way, this team does have a relatively high ceiling. Like some other posters were saying though, it's important not to get wrapped up in early results.

True, there is the potential for a pretty good batting order, but there is only Freeman, Inciarte and Markakis who have proven they are mature hitters.
    I'll predict this much, it won't be in the top 12 in run production, probably not top 15.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Would be a decent rebuttal if 2 weeks wasn’t all we have to go on for the season

Of course Tucker could have his breakthrough season at 27 years old, but that would be an exception.
    I've seen too many late 20s minor league wonders fade on the big stage to get excited though.

From what I've heard, one of the main reasons he hadn't made his way to the majors is because of the Astros stacked outfield. I haven't really fact checked too much into that, but it seems legit.

• Options

@corai3 said:

@WCDawg said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

From what I've heard, one of the main reasons he hadn't made his way to the majors is because of the Astros stacked outfield. I haven't really fact checked too much into that, but it seems legit.

After briefly looking at his stats, his 162 game average would be about .280 BA and 20 HRs. I'd take that out of him. Those numbers are comparable to Markakis for sure. He comes at a much lower price too.

• Options

@corai3 said:

@WCDawg said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

No doubt the past 2 years were going to be tough to win a spot in The Houston outfield.
    Also Tucker has a very solid base, smooth swing and a good approach to hitting.
    My generic assessment might be a bit pessimistic.

• Options

@corai3 said:

@corai3 said:

@WCDawg said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

After briefly looking at his stats, his 162 game average would be about .280 BA and 20 HRs. I'd take that out of him. Those numbers are comparable to Markakis for sure. He comes at a much lower price too.

In baseball track record is huge though.
    Tucker showed potential in 2015 but he's never attempted to sustain success at the major league level.
    Hitting is a bit like QBing in The NFL. Weaknesses are sniffed out and exploited over time.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@TheSmartWay said:
    Inciarte, Markakis, Albies, Freeman, Acuna, Swanson isn't bad at all. Throw in one or two surprises, (helloooo, Preston Tucker) and our lineup could be stellar. Tehran still needs to put it all together in a bigger way, plus Newcomb and Folty have to continue to throw strikes like they have through the first few games. If things go our way, this team does have a relatively high ceiling. Like some other posters were saying though, it's important not to get wrapped up in early results.

True, there is the potential for a pretty good batting order, but there is only Freeman, Inciarte and Markakis who have proven they are mature hitters.
    I'll predict this much, it won't be in the top 12 in run production, probably not top 15.

I'd been up all night when I made that post.
    After some sleep I'll revise that to our run production not finishing in the top 10 in MLB this season, but it might come close.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@corai3 said:

@corai3 said:

@WCDawg said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

In baseball track record is huge though.
    Tucker showed potential in 2015 but he's never attempted to sustain success at the major league level.
    Hitting is a bit like QBing in The NFL. Weaknesses are sniffed out and exploited over time.

I agree. The jury is still out on Tucker. If he can put up 20 HRs and bat .280, I'll be thrilled. I'll be honest and say when I was watching opening day, I said, "Who is this guy?" He has surely had a nice fresh start. i just hope he can give us a solid option so we can dump Markakis for prospects at the deadline. That is nothing against Markakis. He's been a solid hitter for the Braves. I'd probably say he's the second best hitter on the team after Freeman. He's also been a consistent fielder.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

****, they sent him down for Joey Bats.....

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don’t know how much Batista has left in the tank, but could be a good pick-up to get us by till Riley is ready to come up. If he doesn’t work out, he hasn’t cost us much and we still have Camargo to play third.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bigcalidawg said:
    ****, they sent him down for Joey Bats.....

And brought him back today when Swanson went on the DL

• Options

I saw that. Must have felt good to fly back the next day.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bigcalidawg said:
    I saw that. Must have felt good to fly back the next day.

I think he was coming back from Gwinnett?

• Options

Ok, for some reason, I thought we were playin the Giants out here.

I bet he was so happy he flew anyway, Lol

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

Ok, not right now, but