Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Florida Does Florida Things...

DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

FU is going to pay its Tod Grantham $1,390,000 base salary for 2018. The next highest-paid assistant at FU is OC Billy Gonzales at $565,000.

http://www.gatorcountry.com/florida-gators-football/contract-details-for-florida-gators-position-coaches/

The article doesn't make clear if FU is responsible for paying Grantham's "Towel Boy" or if that salary comes out of Grantham's pocket.

https://youtu.be/ryMf04PIrUg

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Someone call the cops...this man has been accused of theft for years...

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When did they hire Grantham? Dude has been on a downward spiral since leaving UGA. Louisville (back when they were pretty good), Miss St for one bad year, then to an atrocious fla. Fromm is going to have a field day.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:
    When did they hire Grantham? Dude has been on a downward spiral since leaving UGA. Louisville (back when they were pretty good), Miss St for one bad year, then to an atrocious fla. Fromm is going to have a field day.

he will have a lot of talent to work with at UF...however, as usual, I think he will make things way too complicated for his college age kids, and will give up big plays at the most inopportune times.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,040 mod

Loving me some Grantham at UF. A slice of swiss cheese on that D please....hold the mayo.....

• Options
    brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

he will have a lot of talent to work with at UF...however, as usual, I think he will make things way too complicated for his college age kids, and will give up big plays at the most inopportune times.

talent? did Florida have a huge recruiting class or did i miss something? Florida doesn’t have much left on their defense after losing a few guys to the NFL but that’s besides the point. Grantham had talent at UGA and wasted it.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He WILL have a lot of talent - in the future - to work with. Maybe not so much this year. I’m not sure whom they have coming back.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe he will challenge Kirby to a fight on the field after the game. I never felt he was a Georgia guy while he was here. He is wound tight like Pruitt but with none of the skill.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

Dude has been on a downward spiral since being at UGA.

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When I think of Todd Grantham, three words come to mind and I fee a lot better about him as a coordinator.....

Third and Grantham.

• Options
    3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

UGA got the worst version of him imo....guy can obviously coach...just the learning curve of realizing college kids are very different than guys who get paid to play....uf could do a lot worse.

• Options

@3rdshift said:
    UGA got the worst version of him imo....guy can obviously coach...just the learning curve of realizing college kids are very different than guys who get paid to play....uf could do a lot worse.

What’s your evidence?

• Options
    DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:
    When I think of Todd Grantham, three words come to mind and I fee a lot better about him as a coordinator.....

Third and Grantham.

Of course, when he came back to Sanford as Miss. St. DC, we coined a much better three-word phrase for him...

First and Grantham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnObSLsdNEI

• Options

@3rdshift said:

Seems like I remember Nick Chubb having a record-setting Bowl game against a Grantham-coached defense with 266 yards rushing and UGA having 500 yards of offense overall....Right in line with the defense that showed up against Alabama in the 2012 SECCG and gave up 350 yards rushing alone and 512 yards total.....Hmmm....looks the same to me.

• Options

nick chubb is good at football (its why they pay him)...as many have said ...grantham has problems with realizing kids have to study for class and not just football...or the old "you can't play fast if you have to think to much"....not saying he is a defensive genius or anything of the sort....but we didn't hire him because we lost a bet....its easy to monday morning qb anything...but he wouldn't still be around if he couldn't coach and players didn't want to play for him.

• Options

I think that his career trajectory has been in the downward direction ever since being at UGA points to the fact that he's not that great. He tries to blame his players...that his defense is simply too complicated for college players...well, why is the NFL calling him back? Instead he gets fired from Miss St and goes to a team that didn't even make a bowl game last year. He didn't improve UGA significantly, UL, or Miss St. He's going to struggle at fla as well.

My greatest memory of the Grantham defense is everyone on the field looking to the sideline in total confusion as the ball is snapped. The call never came quick enough.

• Options
    BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A lot of schools have picked up ... and PAID ... Todd, but few schools keep him very long. There's gotta be a story there.

• Options

@pgjackson said:
    I think that his career trajectory has been in the downward direction ever since being at UGA points to the fact that he's not that great. He tries to blame his players...that his defense is simply too complicated for college players...well, why is the NFL calling him back? Instead he gets fired from Miss St and goes to a team that didn't even make a bowl game last year. He didn't improve UGA significantly, UL, or Miss St. He's going to struggle at fla as well.

My greatest memory of the Grantham defense is everyone on the field looking to the sideline in total confusion as the ball is snapped. The call never came quick enough.

i agree with all that...I also think the "defense is only as good as the talent excuse will run out at fu" but i guess that goes for the entire staff...largest part of having good power 5 defense is not coaching its recruiting.....we will see if he can earn his $.....one thing is for sure....his agent is much better at his his job...than todd is @ coaching.

• Options

@BullyDawg said:
    A lot of schools have picked up ... and PAID ... Todd, but few schools keep him very long. There's gotta be a story there.

He has always been referred to as a 'journeyman' coach....much like Brian VanGorder was.

Word was, he started having problems with Bobby P at Louisville from day-1 and he was almost immediately looking for another gig. He followed Mullen from Miss State to Fla. I guess he gets along with Mullen better than he did with Bobby P. or with CMR.

• Options
    mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Now Florida has jumped on the bandwagon of coaches bragging about sending players to the NFL that they had nothing to do with.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/former-fsu-lineman-chastises-florida-assistant-using-gator-recruiting-graphic/

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Man oh man, no wonder all those trees that are surrounding the campus in Gainesville all lean inward. Florida s u x.