Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Fishing incident sends Georgia QB Fromm to hospital

DawgBiscuitDawgBiscuit Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Comments

• Options
    DawgBiscuitDawgBiscuit Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here's how we removed treble hook from hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg0WbYKBvwA

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BobcatGrad said:
    Updated RivalsFishing.com 5/21/18

Ben Cleveland *****

Cade Mays *****

Jake Fromm ***

Sure glad JF went to the ER...

• Options
    Mickey_HandMickey_Hand Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

One of the biggest non-stories ever. Probably the only reason Jake went to that clinic was for a tetanus booster. Every serious fisherman has a pair of long-nosed pliers and wire cutters in his tackle box and 99% of the times that’s all you need.

• Options
    greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Mickey_Hand said:
    One of the biggest non-stories ever. Probably the only reason Jake went to that clinic was for a tetanus booster. Every serious fisherman has a pair of long-nosed pliers and wire cutters in his tackle box and 99% of the times that’s all you need.

Not when it’s a whopper plopper. Hook yourself with one, you’ll understand

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s a common fishing injury for anyone who spends a lot of time on the water fishing especially if you have other people fishing in the same boat. At least it wasn’t his hand. Still this was the biggest non story of last week.

• Options
    ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited May 2018

Way back when, we were fishing off that old bridge in Panama City, FL. Went to cast , hooked my sister in the hand and almost cast her off that bridge. Hear that story every X-Mas. Another time, my cousin went to cast a Rapala stick bait and lodge it soundly in his brothers head. Nothing a few shots of Wild Turkey and hydrogen peroxide couldn't fix. The fist fight after that was epic.

• Options
    jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ugaforever Wild Turkey & Hydrogen peroxide? Then the fight after that? That does sound pretty funny! I’d be willing to bet that the one that had been hooked earlier, landed a few hooks of their own later.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgBiscuit said:
    Here's how we removed treble hook from hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg0WbYKBvwA

This? This is how it’s done. Nice sweatshirt too. Representing all the time.

• Options
    LawDawgLawDawg Posts: 84 ✭✭✭ Junior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxr97mC5Mdk

I've seen him do this in person...Captain Charlie Thomason at Bayou Charter.

• Options

@greygoose01 said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

Not trying to argue, I’m just trying to understand. Admittedly I’ve never used a Whopper Plopper , but it seems to me that all that matters is the hook itself – regardless of what kind of lure it’s hanging on……because the first thing you do is remove the hook from the lure. But that’s one of the reasons I said 99% of the time – and that might be a slight exaggeration. Some treble hooks are welded together along the full length of the shank – some single hooks have barbs on their shanks also – in those cases , or you can’t reach the area, you may need another pair of hands. And sometimes the location of the injury on the body might require an x-ray and even surgery.

• Options
    greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Mickey_Hand said:

@greygoose01 said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

Not trying to argue, I’m just trying to understand. Admittedly I’ve never used a Whopper Plopper , but it seems to me that all that matters is the hook itself – regardless of what kind of lure it’s hanging on……because the first thing you do is remove the hook from the lure. But that’s one of the reasons I said 99% of the time – and that might be a slight exaggeration. Some treble hooks are welded together along the full length of the shank – some single hooks have barbs on their shanks also – in those cases , or you can’t reach the area, you may need another pair of hands. And sometimes the location of the injury on the body might require an x-ray and even surgery.

I get what you’re saying and I agree. I just meant the hooks on that specific lure are sticky sharp and depending on how deep the barb went in, a pair of pliers or fishing line probably won’t yank that out if trying to remove it yourself. That lure has some of the sharpest hooks I’ve ever used. However, “any” lure or hook can do the same amount of damage if enough force is behind it. At least it wasn’t his hand, face or any other softer part of the body. OUCH!

• Options

I get what you’re saying and I agree. I just meant the hooks on that specific lure are sticky sharp and depending on how deep the barb went in, a pair of pliers or fishing line probably won’t yank that out if trying to remove it yourself. That lure has some of the sharpest hooks I’ve ever used. However, “any” lure or hook can do the same amount of damage if enough force is behind it. At least it wasn’t his hand, face or any other softer part of the body. OUCH!

Lol -- I have NEVER tried to remove a hook the way those guys in either of those videos did, and I don't believe I would (shiver). I grip the shank with my pliers and rotate my wrist until the barb comes out through skin, snip it off, then rotate my wrist the other way to back the barbless hook back out of the entry track. If you're dealing with a child or even an adult who can't stand a little pain, grab a little ice from your cooler. put it in a piece of cloth, and hold it on the area a minute or so before you start the removal.

• Options
    ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Mickey_Hand said:
    Lol -- I have NEVER tried to remove a hook the way those guys in either of those videos did, and I don't believe I would (shiver). I grip the shank with my pliers and rotate my wrist until the barb comes out through skin, snip it off, then rotate my wrist the other way to back the barbless hook back out of the entry track. If you're dealing with a child or even an adult who can't stand a little pain, grab a little ice from your cooler. put it in a piece of cloth, and hold it on the area a minute or so before you start the removal.

This is the correct way to extract a hook.

It hurts like hell if it is deep.

Sadly, I had no tequila when I had an extraction situation.