Unpopular opinion(s) on Georgia. What is YOUR MOST UNPOPULAR OPINION???

christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is an article about UNPOPULAR opinions on the DawgNation webpage. I thought that might be a good thread here in the forum. I'll share mine to help break the ice:

IMHO - Former 2015 Georgia QB (Virginia transfer) Grayson Lambert's game against the South Carolina Gamecocks was the BEST EVER Georgia QB performance is the history of the Georgia Bulldogs football program. Period. There. Now THAT has to qualify as a MOST unpopular opinion.

«1

Comments

  • christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @PTDawg said:
    There was nothing wrong with not spiking the ball at the end of the 4th against Bama in the SEC title game in 2012. We had flown down the field in a few plays and they were on their heels. If the play works then Richt/Bobo are hailed as geniuses for "keeping their foot on the gas, not letting the D regroup, etc." I've always felt the criticism they've gotten over that was a bit of Monday-morning quarterbacking.

    That really is a good (although it IS painful too!) one. I wondered why the ball wasn’t spiked for days, weeks, & months after that heartbreaking loss to the Gumps!

  • MODawgMODawg Posts: 318 ✭✭✭ Junior

    @PTDawg said:
    There was nothing wrong with not spiking the ball at the end of the 4th against Bama in the SEC title game in 2012. We had flown down the field in a few plays and they were on their heels. If the play works then Richt/Bobo are hailed as geniuses for "keeping their foot on the gas, not letting the D regroup, etc." I've always felt the criticism they've gotten over that was a bit of Monday-morning quarterbacking.

    Well obviously there was. It produced a terrible play call that cost us a natty. There was only one place to go with the ball in the endzone and Bama read it. Richt and Bobo should have been fired on the spot

  • TeddyTeddy Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @MODawg said:

    @PTDawg said:
    There was nothing wrong with not spiking the ball at the end of the 4th against Bama in the SEC title game in 2012. We had flown down the field in a few plays and they were on their heels. If the play works then Richt/Bobo are hailed as geniuses for "keeping their foot on the gas, not letting the D regroup, etc." I've always felt the criticism they've gotten over that was a bit of Monday-morning quarterbacking.

    Well obviously there was. It produced a terrible play call that cost us a natty. There was only one place to go with the ball in the endzone and Bama read it. Richt and Bobo should have been fired on the spot

    Your response is the definition of Monday morning quarterbacking. They could’ve called a better play, Conley could’ve knocked it down knowing he wasn’t in the end zone, they could’ve called time out, they could’ve spiked it, etc. etc. All Monday morning quarterback responses. Let’s fire Bobo who scored more pts/game than any UGA offensive coordinator ever. Not only did he not get fired, he got promoted to a head coaching position not long after. Such a smart, level headed critique on your part.

  • MODawgMODawg Posts: 318 ✭✭✭ Junior

    @Teddy said:

    @MODawg said:

    @PTDawg said:
    There was nothing wrong with not spiking the ball at the end of the 4th against Bama in the SEC title game in 2012. We had flown down the field in a few plays and they were on their heels. If the play works then Richt/Bobo are hailed as geniuses for "keeping their foot on the gas, not letting the D regroup, etc." I've always felt the criticism they've gotten over that was a bit of Monday-morning quarterbacking.

    Well obviously there was. It produced a terrible play call that cost us a natty. There was only one place to go with the ball in the endzone and Bama read it. Richt and Bobo should have been fired on the spot

    Your response is the definition of Monday morning quarterbacking. They could’ve called a better play, Conley could’ve knocked it down knowing he wasn’t in the end zone, they could’ve called time out, they could’ve spiked it, etc. etc. All Monday morning quarterback responses. Let’s fire Bobo who scored more pts/game than any UGA offensive coordinator ever. Not only did he not get fired, he got promoted to a head coaching position not long after. Such a smart, level headed critique on your part.

    That's the wrong football call. You spike the ball in that situation. They didn't have a TO to call. Why rush up to the line and try to get a play in that ACTUALLY had a chance to work. Why is Conley running a route 3 yards from the endzone? And how did scoring all those points work for UGA? We dominated Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl in between competing for Outback Bowl championships. HAWAII! Wow that's great! Score 60 on a middle school and lay an egg REPEATEDLY against actual competition. Yeah that's the OC/HC I want.

  • MODawgMODawg Posts: 318 ✭✭✭ Junior

    @PTDawg said:

    @MODawg said:

    Well obviously there was. It produced a terrible play call that cost us a natty. There was only one place to go with the ball in the endzone and Bama read it. Richt and Bobo should have been fired on the spot

    I understand the outcome wasn't what we wanted. It was a huge letdown. It just felt like people looked at the outcome and then reverse-engineered the analysis. Had Murray spiked the ball and the next play not worked then people would say "we had them on their heels, we had the momentum, they weren't lined up right but we gave them a chance to catch their breath, you can't give a defense that good extra time to get ready, etc." I agree the play call wasn't ideal, although that play had worked well for us a lot that season. I would have preferred a RPO with Murray and if it wasn't there just throw it out the back of the end zone and have another play. The decision to not spike, though, I had no issue with.

    Well for me I was yelling to spike it the whole time. It's the right football call. I get what you're saying though. I'm a firm believer of a good O is gonna beat good D every time.

  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 13

    Jan Kemp was a hero and was treated disgracefully by UGA and many of our fans.
    It's both extremely unpopular and absolutely true.

  • TeddyTeddy Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @MODawg said:

    @Teddy said:

    @MODawg said:

    @PTDawg said:
    There was nothing wrong with not spiking the ball at the end of the 4th against Bama in the SEC title game in 2012. We had flown down the field in a few plays and they were on their heels. If the play works then Richt/Bobo are hailed as geniuses for "keeping their foot on the gas, not letting the D regroup, etc." I've always felt the criticism they've gotten over that was a bit of Monday-morning quarterbacking.

    Well obviously there was. It produced a terrible play call that cost us a natty. There was only one place to go with the ball in the endzone and Bama read it. Richt and Bobo should have been fired on the spot

    Your response is the definition of Monday morning quarterbacking. They could’ve called a better play, Conley could’ve knocked it down knowing he wasn’t in the end zone, they could’ve called time out, they could’ve spiked it, etc. etc. All Monday morning quarterback responses. Let’s fire Bobo who scored more pts/game than any UGA offensive coordinator ever. Not only did he not get fired, he got promoted to a head coaching position not long after. Such a smart, level headed critique on your part.

    That's the wrong football call. You spike the ball in that situation. They didn't have a TO to call. Why rush up to the line and try to get a play in that ACTUALLY had a chance to work. Why is Conley running a route 3 yards from the endzone? And how did scoring all those points work for UGA? We dominated Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl in between competing for Outback Bowl championships. HAWAII! Wow that's great! Score 60 on a middle school and lay an egg REPEATEDLY against actual competition. Yeah that's the OC/HC I want.

    They had just driven the field on Bama quickly, and wanted to keep the momentum going. But good to know one bad play call should get you fired... I was yelling for them to spike the ball as it was happening live, but can understand wanting to go fast as well. Murray shouldn't have thrown there, Conley should've knocked it down, etc. etc.

    Looks like he could hang some points up on some pretty good teams, links to his last 3 years in Athens below. If he couldn't get 30 pts, UGA was pretty much guaranteed to lose. Wish he and Kirby were on the UGA's sidelines at the same time. A Kirby defense with a Bobo offense sounds about perfect.

    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia/2014-schedule.html
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia/2013-schedule.html
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia/2012-schedule.html

  • PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    My unpopular opinion, one that many will not agree with which is why its “unpopular”

    Greyson Lambert was not as terrible of a QB as many of the fans liked to believe.... 63.3% pass completion and 6 touchdowns thrown for every 1 interception. QB rating of 140....

  • KaseyKasey Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Also...more surprised people haven't come at me about my Aaron Murray take. maybe after seeing Jake Fromm do what he did last year has helped make all those memories of killing it against the Vandy and Kentuckys of the world fade a little

  • PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @Kasey said:

    @PharmDawg2054 said:
    My unpopular opinion, one that many will not agree with which is why its “unpopular”

    Greyson Lambert was not as terrible of a QB as many of the fans liked to believe.... 63.3% pass completion and 6 touchdowns thrown for every 1 interception. QB rating of 140....

    I’ll ride with you on this. He was saddled with a subpar o-line. A god-awful OC and a dearth of targets at WR. The guy made chicken salad out of chicken you know what that season

    Lord have mercy that was the worst OC I have ever seen in my entire life

  • KaseyKasey Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @PharmDawg2054 said:

    @Kasey said:

    @PharmDawg2054 said:
    My unpopular opinion, one that many will not agree with which is why its “unpopular”

    Greyson Lambert was not as terrible of a QB as many of the fans liked to believe.... 63.3% pass completion and 6 touchdowns thrown for every 1 interception. QB rating of 140....

    I’ll ride with you on this. He was saddled with a subpar o-line. A god-awful OC and a dearth of targets at WR. The guy made chicken salad out of chicken you know what that season

    Lord have mercy that was the worst OC I have ever seen in my entire life

    I pity any Seahawks fans who think that offense is going to turn around this year. NOT HAPPENING

  • BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Kirby should have put another DB on the field after we got Alabama in a 2nd and 26.

  • moosmoos Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Mine:

    Players should be able make money off their likeness.

  • TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 496 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Eason should have been given the job back :#

  • PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @TheSmartWay said:
    Eason should have been given the job back :#

    yea.... thats a pretty horrible opinion haha

  • JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Georgia did not lose to Vandy in 2016 because of poor offensive play calling.

  • jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    2 unpopular opinions that tie together: 1. Uga players have it coming when they get busted by the police. If other players from other teams are getting by, that is a poor reflection of their culture.

    Also (and this is not an opinion because I know some policemen with some stories ) we still have players that are getting by on illegal things without it reaching the general public. So, 2. police around UGA do not have it out for UGA players specifically. I think that is an absurd idea.

    Go DAWGS!

  • SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Tyler Simmons was offsides!

    (Too soon?)

  • FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @WCDawg said:
    Jan Kemp was a hero and was treated disgracefully by UGA and many of our fans.
    It's both extremely unpopular and absolutely true.

    Much of the unpopularity is that MANY other schools needed a Jan Kemp, but one never surfaced - so its an unfairness issue. And isn't the academics still an honor system thing to this day? Therefore, JK was a pain, no gain type of thing, wasn't it? But WE SHOWED THEM!

  • UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @JoelSidneyKelly said:
    Georgia did not lose to Vandy in 2016 because of poor offensive play calling.

    It was poor execution on that 4th down play that cost us the Vandy game. The RB....can't remember if it was Chubb or Michel....missed a block on the LB who then went inside and made the play for no gain. IIRC, it was Godwin carrying in the Wild Dawg formation....which hadn't worked well all game. Be that as it may, we paid them back in spades last year.

    Also, folks should remember that our o-line in 2016 wasn't exactly the 'Seven Blocks of Granite' that year. They looked more like grape-stompers or bull fighters with some of those ole' blocks they threw in 2016. That definitely threw a wrench in the game-planning and play-calling.

  • UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @PharmDawg2054 said:

    @TheSmartWay said:
    Eason should have been given the job back :#

    yea.... thats a pretty horrible opinion haha

    Agree. Eason had a few chances to come back and re-establish himself, and it didn't go well. He still had the same bad habits as he did the year before.....slinging a fastball when you only need a change-up, holding the ball too long resulting in a sack, etc. Eason comes back and becomes the starter in 2017, and we don't win the SEC.

  • FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @UnderDog68 said:

    @PharmDawg2054 said:

    @TheSmartWay said:
    Eason should have been given the job back :#

    yea.... thats a pretty horrible opinion haha

    Agree. Eason had a few chances to come back and re-establish himself, and it didn't go well. He still had the same bad habits as he did the year before.....slinging a fastball when you only need a change-up, holding the ball too long resulting in a sack, etc. Eason comes back and becomes the starter in 2017, and we don't win the SEC.

    Plus the team responded to Fromm like he was Moses -not the golden calf Moses, the other one.

  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @FirePlugDawg said:

    @WCDawg said:
    Jan Kemp was a hero and was treated disgracefully by UGA and many of our fans.
    It's both extremely unpopular and absolutely true.

    Much of the unpopularity is that MANY other schools needed a Jan Kemp, but one never surfaced - so its an unfairness issue. And isn't the academics still an honor system thing to this day? Therefore, JK was a pain, no gain type of thing, wasn't it? But WE SHOWED THEM!

    No WE collectively tormented the woman for doing the right thing for student athletes.
    Hey, others were doing the same selfish sleazeball things we were doing though, so that made it ok.

  • FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @WCDawg said:

    @FirePlugDawg said:

    @WCDawg said:
    Jan Kemp was a hero and was treated disgracefully by UGA and many of our fans.
    It's both extremely unpopular and absolutely true.

    Much of the unpopularity is that MANY other schools needed a Jan Kemp, but one never surfaced - so its an unfairness issue. And isn't the academics still an honor system thing to this day? Therefore, JK was a pain, no gain type of thing, wasn't it? But WE SHOWED THEM!

    No WE collectively tormented the woman for doing the right thing for student athletes.
    Hey, others were doing the same selfish sleazeball things we were doing though, so that made it ok.

    No it isn't okay but perhaps a better way would have been to get the academic hierarchy at each SEC school behind exposing the fraud at their own school and doing that in one swell foop. Share the hate type thing.

  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 14

    @FirePlugDawg said:

    @WCDawg said:

    @FirePlugDawg said:

    @WCDawg said:
    Jan Kemp was a hero and was treated disgracefully by UGA and many of our fans.
    It's both extremely unpopular and absolutely true.

    Much of the unpopularity is that MANY other schools needed a Jan Kemp, but one never surfaced - so its an unfairness issue. And isn't the academics still an honor system thing to this day? Therefore, JK was a pain, no gain type of thing, wasn't it? But WE SHOWED THEM!

    No WE collectively tormented the woman for doing the right thing for student athletes.
    Hey, others were doing the same selfish sleazeball things we were doing though, so that made it ok.

    No it isn't okay but perhaps a better way would have been to get the academic hierarchy at each SEC school behind exposing the fraud at their own school and doing that in one swell foop. Share the hate type thing.

    In the climate of that period there was absolutely no way to get the establishment behind real reform through ''proper channels'', it was dirty to it's core.
    The only true option was to go outside the system as a whistle blower.
    STUDENT ATHLETES of today owe people like Kemp a lot.
    PS. Why Vince Dooley gets a pass on this is beyond me.

  • christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Was Damon Evans framed?

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.