Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What Braves should do now...

Comments

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@Teddy said:

@AndersonDawg said:
    Don’t forget BJ Upton. $20M for a mediocre fielder and 200 BA. only thing he was good at was looking confused on a called strike 3 on a pitch down the middle.

Or all the pieces traded away for Teixiera, that were key pieces to getting the Rangers to back to back World Series, for a temporary rental in Teixiera basically.

Or trading andrelton Simmons for only Sean newcomb! That one still bugs me.

They got Dansby the same offseason, guess they were counting on him panning out. But yeah, Braves went through a rough patch of trades for a little while.

The Swanson deal was phenomenal though, Inciarte alone was robbery. The Simmons and Kimbrel deals hurt because they were talented and fun to watch.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kirbstomper said:

@Teddy said:

@AndersonDawg said:
    Don’t forget BJ Upton. $20M for a mediocre fielder and 200 BA. only thing he was good at was looking confused on a called strike 3 on a pitch down the middle.

Or all the pieces traded away for Teixiera, that were key pieces to getting the Rangers to back to back World Series, for a temporary rental in Teixiera basically.

The jury is still out on that trade. Newcomb is still only 25 years old and if he can ever keep his head on straight he might be one of the best starting pitchers around.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@Teddy said:

@AndersonDawg said:

They got Dansby the same offseason, guess they were counting on him panning out. But yeah, Braves went through a rough patch of trades for a little while.

This is it for Swanson in Atlanta. If he doesn't figure it out in 2019 the team will give up on him. There are too many young guys moving up to waste a roster spot.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@Teddy said:

@AndersonDawg said:

This is it for Swanson in Atlanta. If he doesn't figure it out in 2019 the team will give up on him. There are too many young guys moving up to waste a roster spot.

I agree and I'm not sure he's guaranteed much going into spring training.

• Options

@TNDawg71 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@Teddy said:

@AndersonDawg said:

I'd be very surprised if he has a spot on the opening day roster reserved going into camp.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

@WCDawg said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@Teddy said:

@AndersonDawg said:

The jury is still out on that trade. Newcomb is still only 25 years old and if he can ever keep his head on straight he might be one of the best starting pitchers around.

You’re right, in that regard. Newcomb could still make it somewhat worth it if he puts up some better seasons. After andrelton moved to Anaheim and started hitting though, I doubt it. Hindsight is 20 20 , but Simmons turned into a 5 WAR player the last 2 years, basically he was more valuable than Freddie freeman the last two years.

I’m referring more to the process of the trade. We sent an established major league above average starter, on a cheap contract with numerous years of control, for about the 25th rated prospect in the game, who was a pitcher, and got some other throw in lottery ticket pitcher. We didn’t get nearly enough. We frankly got lucky newcomb is even as good as he is, mos pitching prospects bust.

Also, how about the hector Olivera trade?! That one set us back a ton, especially after Coppy doubled down on it and traded olivera for Matt kemp and took on even more money. For as much as he did right, coppy did some really dumb things.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@Teddy said:

@AndersonDawg said:

I'd be very surprised if he has a spot on the opening day roster reserved going into camp.

I'd be very surprised if he isn't on the opening day roster, even if not a starter. But if he doesn't start, I'd like to see him traded and get something of value from that trade, besides Inciarte and Newcombe.

• Options
    edited December 2018

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@Teddy said:

@AndersonDawg said:

I'd be very surprised if he isn't on the opening day roster, even if not a starter. But if he doesn't start, I'd like to see him traded and get something of value from that trade, besides Inciarte and Newcombe.

With Camargo and Donaldson sure to make the team and Riley probably moving up, the equation has changed. With the need for more and more relief pitchers he might be the odd man out.

• Options
    DawgforeverDawgforever Posts: 291 ✭✭✭ Junior

Need 2 strong lock down starters. When they were really good they had a very good starting rotation. Pitching wins games

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Acuna and Albies are arguably two of the top kids n the show. The team needs a few pieces but they will be in Atlanta for awhile. Adding Donaldson, we're a couple of trades away that'd hugely help this team. Specifically a legit closer and maybe another stud starter.

• Options

@MacDawg15 said:
    Acuna and Albies are arguably two of the top kids n the show. The team needs a few pieces but they will be in Atlanta for awhile. Adding Donaldson, we're a couple of trades away that'd hugely help this team. Specifically a legit closer and maybe another stud starter.

Kimbrel has been mentioned around, which I would welcome, Kluber is my dream scenario for a starter.

• Options

@Dawgforever said:
    Need 2 strong lock down starters. When they were really good they had a very good starting rotation. Pitching wins games

The Braves somehow cobbled together the 7th lowest team ERA in MLB last season. Only 2 teams had significantly lower ERAs. With the youth and players moving up from the minors logic says pitching will improve organically, but that doesn't always happen.

• Options

@TNDawg71 said:

@MacDawg15 said:

Kimbrel has been mentioned around, which I would welcome, Kluber is my dream scenario for a starter.

Would love to have Kluber. Kimbrel imo is gonna cost us too much, but imo letting him go was the worst trade I've ever seen. Dominant closer vs. who? Folty, Soroka, Wright, Gohara etc. Athough if we can let the right two young arms go for a legit starter; that would be my focus.

• Options

@MacDawg15 said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@MacDawg15 said:

Would love to have Kluber. Kimbrel imo is gonna cost us too much, but imo letting him go was the worst trade I've ever seen. Dominant closer vs. who? Folty, Soroka, Wright, Gohara etc. Athough if we can let the right two young arms go for a legit starter; that would be my focus.

That was a salary dump of Upton, Wisler was expected to be better, in the end it was not a good trade for us, surely could have done better.

• Options

@TNDawg71 said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@MacDawg15 said:

That was a salary dump of Upton, Wisler was expected to be better, in the end it was not a good trade for us, surely could have done better.

I agree

• Options

They signed Markakis to a 1 year 6M deal just now. I'm on record as not being a big fan of him, I'm really hoping he is more for OF depth than them planning on starting him. The contract would indicate nobody is expecting much out of him this year.

• Options

@Kirbstomper said:
    They signed Markakis to a 1 year 6M deal just now. I'm on record as not being a big fan of him, I'm really hoping he is more for OF depth than them planning on starting him. The contract would indicate nobody is expecting much out of him this year.

Now saying it is a 4M base salary for this year, with a 6M club option and 2M buyout for next year.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great news in my opinion. Clubhouse leader, big part of our 2018 chemistry, and hopefully he can give 80% of what he gave us last year. The rest of the money needs to go to a pitcher, and it better be a good one. I've got my eye on Corey Kluber.

• Options
    ColumboColumbo Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

They should draft and offer a huge contract to Justin Fields just to screw the Ohio State fans.

• Options

@Kirbstomper said:

This is a great deal. Even if he declines and is a part time player and pinch hitter this is a great deal. They love him in the clubhouse, even though he hardly talks.