Home The G.O.A.T.s: Forum Thread Hall of Fame
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Next To Commit To The G 2020

Comments

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2019

@SoFL_Dawg you still think there's hope of Z Evans or is it over? Edit point: Ignore you just posted what I was thinking lol

And I for one love the OOS recruiting. FL has been vital to UGA even having great talent lately. The best premier players had been all OOS guys in Green, Gurley, Stafford, Sony, Baker, Knowshon, and Geno are all beast!!! Not to forget that Cager, Pickens, Reed, and Swift (as well as 3/5th of the OLine) are the guys UGA depends on most.

• Options
    dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2019

@SoFL_Dawg

what is the pitch to Beck & Stroud about one another?

obviously staff needs a QB here in the Spring, and Stroud won't be able to do that, so it's imperative that we keep Beck.

But why would Beck want to stay if Stroud is coming, or Stroud want to come if Beck wants to stay, and how does that look towards recruits examining our program going forward in future classes?

Yes they all think they can be the guy, and the other guy is gonna be the one to transfer, but how long before that logic comes back to bite us?

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks what do you believe was Evans initial reason for choosing us.

No lie he's talented and we present the best chance of NFL future (more tread on tires than TAMU and Bama would offer) and depth seperation (LSU) than the other options. I do believe he will have to face stiff comp next season with Cook & KMac as the next guys up (this believing Zeus will be starter and Milton his relief).

• Options

I guess we'll just have to wait for somebody else to ask the questions

• Options
    edited November 2019

lol i don't know how to post GIFs

but if I did, I'd probably be banned

• Options
    SquillDawgSquillDawg Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some people...

Anyway, @SoFL_Dawg to your question of what has recruiting the state in the past ever won us. I would first argue the Davids winning the SEC for the first time in 20 years wasn't nothing, but I get that we all want Natty's. Just pointing out that we shouldn't ignore the smaller accomplishments along the way.

Second, I would argue that recruiting the state wasn't the problem. Not recruiting the state well enough was the problem. The obvious trio that went to UTjr comes to mind. Eric Berry, Deshaun and 20+ other misses had as much to do with it as anything else.

Just defending the prior staffs a little. I have no issue with our current nationwide approach. But I will say, I do miss the days of seeing kids I saw play in high school wearing red and black. However, that's just me being old. Sue me.

• Options
    SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fair points. This staff’s philosophy is to get the best players it can. If we’re being honest, without the talent, I’m not sure where we’d be today.

The point I was attempting to make is when you shoot out of state, for the best in that state, you’re starting from a disadvantaged position. 50% hit rate is probably all we can hope for. Defensively, we’ve been a monster though in other states.

Secondary point, we have 3 position groups on this team we shouldn’t worry about for 2-3 cycles. RB, OL, OLB...could probably add DB to that group too but I would like to see one additional elite CB added to match up with offenses that are emerging in conference.

Staff is not above reproach, but you gotta really be fishing to be critical of recruiting.

• Options
    JayJay Posts: 198 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2019

Apropos of nothing, in the current 247 recruiting rankings, there are 6 SEC teams in the top 11; 11 SEC teams (out of 14 total) plus Georgia Tech in the top 25.

I know it's like that every year (in fact, it was exactly like that in 2019), but I wonder if non-SEC fans have any idea just how heavily weighted the talent is in our conference (and thus on our schedule).

• Options
    SquillDawgSquillDawg Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I get/got your point. High risk, high reward, but this staff is talented and can thrive at it.

I do worry about ending up with a team that's less than the sum of its parts by getting players from all over. But again, that might just be showing my age because back in high school I couldn't tweet/text/call people I met from camps and whatever, so I only bonded with the people that lived within 10 miles of me.

This discussion has been closed.