Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

I'm a bit ashamed Devon Gales has had trouble raising enough money for a home..

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In fact, I find it shocking.
He was injured against UGA, it seems obvious to me our program should have helped make this happen a long time ago.
Sorry about the soapbox, but I just read the article on the front page, I just don't get it.

Comments

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

See, we can agree..... I gave money at the beginning and even bought 3 of those Gale t-shirts. This should have been taken care of a year ago.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Southern University has a sizeable alumni association. They are the ones who should be more ashamed. What have they done for their own family member?

• Options

@Bankwalker said:
    Southern University has a sizeable alumni association. They are the ones who should be more ashamed. What have they done for their own family member?

I'm not a part of Southern, my concern is for UGA's actions.
    He was injured against us, that is an important fact. We had him in Georgia doing PR for a long time, yet he's still struggling for funds to build a house, it makes no sense.

• Options
    MyKeithbb09MyKeithbb09 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg said:
    He was injured against UGA, it seems obvious to me our program should have helped make this happen a long time ago.
    Sorry about the soapbox, but I just read the article on the front page, I just don't get it.

Why do you feel our program should have done something a while ago? Unless you mean the team he player for & not UGA then I get your point. UGA have so much to help the young man in which is a wonder thing but it's also something that they didn't have to do at all. I wish the young man & his family nothing but the best in the future but do anyone have any infor of what is his team he played for is doing to help in his situation? I'm sure they have done something but I'm just asking to be sure.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I AM happy that it is having a happy conclusion. Agree that it is long, long overdue. Very , very sad & bittersweet story. God bless that young man, and his entire family.

• Options

@MyKeithbb09 said:

@WCDawg said:

Why do you feel our program should have done something a while ago? Unless you mean the team he player for & not UGA then I get your point. UGA have so much to help the young man in which is a wonder thing but it's also something that they didn't have to do at all. I wish the young man & his family nothing but the best in the future but do anyone have any infor of what is his team he played for is doing to help in his situation? I'm sure they have done something but I'm just asking to be sure.

I mean US, UGA, the team he was injured playing against.
    We're not responsible for any other program's actions, there is no viable reason such a rich program hasn't found a way to provide a home for this young man and his family.

• Options

@bmauldin said:
    Forgive me if I’m wrong, we did build him one.
    It got flooded in one of the hurricanes.

This is the second house which is located in Georgia.

If you're correct, forgive me for not being aware of it.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow!!! That’s GEORGIA follow up with a SECOND HOUSE??? GO DAWGS!!! I mean way to go baby!!! GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2018

That article just says the Gales’s family home in Baton Rouge was flooded. It doesn’t say it was a home that was donated to them. It sounds to me like it was the home they were living in before Devon got hurt. I.e., a non-wheelchair accessible home.

It even has a mention in there that the Georgia charity Triumph over Tragedy was supposed to Ben building them a home, but they’ve been delayed, etc., etc..

The article on the DawgNation front page about the home that was just donated to them (or at least the resources to get the home built easily) seems to lay the blame for it taking so long to get them a home on that Triumph over Tragedy charity. Some guy Jim Butterworth stepped in 10 months ago and has managed to get the thing rolling. With a UGA alum Whit Marshall who’s family runs a construction company being the major donor who finally got the thing done.

Here’s the DN story on the latest House: https://www.dawgnation.com/football/devon-gales-and-family-to-finally-receive-new-accessible-home-thanks-to-former-georgia-football-player

• Options

@levander said:

That article just says the Gales’s family home in Baton Rouge was flooded. It doesn’t say it was a home that was donated to them. It sounds to me like it was the home they were living in before Devon got hurt. I.e., a non-wheelchair accessible home.

It even has a mention in there that the Georgia charity Triumph over Tragedy was supposed to Ben building them a home, but they’ve been delayed, etc., etc..

The article on the DawgNation front page about the home that was just donated to them (or at least the resources to get the home built easily) seems to lay the blame for it taking so long to get them a home on that Triumph over Tragedy charity. Some guy Jim Butterworth stepped in 10 months ago and has managed to get the thing rolling. With a UGA alum Whit Marshall who’s family runs a construction company being the major donor who finally got the thing done.

Here’s the DN story on the latest House: https://www.dawgnation.com/football/devon-gales-and-family-to-finally-receive-new-accessible-home-thanks-to-former-georgia-football-player

Most posters aren't interested in more than shaking pompoms.

• Options

Well..no, it's not, and it's not ranting. I expect it will be turned into a rant by the pompom wavers though.

• Options
    mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with @WCDawg here. Regardless of the program he played for, DawgNation was asked to help out this young man. Given the wealth and resources of our Alumni, I would’ve expected the financial targets to be met and/or exceeded much sooner than now.

While the blame very well may rest with Triumph over Tragedy, it is embarrassing to say that it took UGA supporters something like 3 years to build a handicapped accessible house. With our network of financiers and contractors, it should’ve been done in year 1.

• Options

@mattmd2 said:
    I agree with @WCDawg here. Regardless of the program he played for, DawgNation was asked to help out this young man. Given the wealth and resources of our Alumni, I would’ve expected the financial targets to be met and/or exceeded much sooner than now.

While the blame very well may rest with Triumph over Tragedy, it is embarrassing to say that it took UGA supporters something like 3 years to build a handicapped accessible house. With our network of financiers and contractors, it should’ve been done in year 1.

Clearly no UGA player is to blame, but it did happen on our field and against our team.
    If Kirby asked for donations for new shrubs we'd have enough to build this kid a house overnight. It is really hard for me to understand how this has dragged on so long.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dawgnation.com/football/team-news/triumph-over-tragedy-promises-new-house-for-devon-gales/amp

Pretty sure this is the house that was flooded.

I can keep digging for specific details on the house.
    I don’t know to what degree uga helped. If memory serves me, it was the whole amount.

• Options

@bmauldin said:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dawgnation.com/football/team-news/triumph-over-tragedy-promises-new-house-for-devon-gales/amp

I don’t know to what degree uga helped. If memory serves me, it was the whole amount.

I think UGA carries a large insurance policy on players. I don't know the NCAA overlords' rules on this, but common sense and decency should dictate such life changing injuries be compensated in a manner that insures these young men aren't reduced to welfare because of their limitations.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@bmauldin said:

I think UGA carries a large insurance policy on players. I don't know the NCAA overlords' rules on this, but common sense and decency should dictate such life changing injuries be compensated in a manner that insures these young men aren't reduced to welfare because of their limitations.

there is something like "catastrophic" insurance. Don't know if the NCAA provides it.