Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Nice article on front page of ESPN about Dale Murphy...

BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can say with certainty that this man will cry little baby tears if Dale Murphy ever gets the call to Cooperstown. The author of the piece grew up in Missouri and writes about a generation of kids I didn't know existed - "TBS kids" - kids from all over the Southeast who chose Murph as their hero. He makes a great point about voters choosing to reward him for representing the game the proper way. Murphy would be the perfect player for Hall voters to use as a way of thumbing their noses at the steroid era. His induction would be a mad house of people trying to get in to witness his enshrinement. I would be there at about any cost.

espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/24182944/where-braves-legend-dale-murphy-now

Comments

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was watching a Braves game at a bar I was at the other day. I didn’t know a single Brave I saw on the TV. I starting talking to another guy sitting at the bar. We were laughing because we both still knew the entire ‘82 Braves starting line-up.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:
    I was watching a Braves game at a bar I was at the other day. I didn’t know a single Brave I saw on the TV. I starting talking to another guy sitting at the bar. We were laughing because we both still knew the entire ‘82 Braves starting line-up.

The year somebody got lost on 285 on the way to a game.
    Good times...

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@levander said:

The year somebody got lost on 285 on the way to a game.
    Good times...

I remember that cause I did the same thing when I first moved to GA (Carrollton).took me forever to learn Atlanta.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Murph was 30/30 and clean

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And had a cannon for an arm

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Childhood hero of mine! Dale Murphy was simply awesome!!!

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Started as a catcher. My dad said they had to move him to the outfield because no one was trying to steal Centerfield.

I was one of those TBS kids. I was not happy when they traded him to the Phillies

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

I was one of those TBS kids. I was not happy when they traded him to the Phillies

Nor was I. It's a shame he missed out on playing with the 1991 Braves and finally getting the chance to play in a World Series, just like it's a shame he isn't in the HOF. Murphy was one of the ones that carried the Braves in the early 80s. If only he had hit 2 more home runs and got to 400, I think he would be in.

• Options

@Kasey said:
    Started as a catcher. My dad said they had to move him to the outfield because no one was trying to steal Centerfield.

Your pops is 100@% right. He had some kind of block and couldn't keep from overthrowing 2nd base on steal attempts. Moved him to CF and prolonged and enhanced his career with that move. Do you remember when Glavine was told to hit him with a pitch? I think Glav might have been with the Mets at the time. He threw up about a 35 mph lollipip. Murph couldn't help but laugh. Both guys knew the rules and the unwritten rules.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

Your pops is 100@% right. He had some kind of block and couldn't keep from overthrowing 2nd base on steal attempts. Moved him to CF and prolonged and enhanced his career with that move. Do you remember when Glavine was told to hit him with a pitch? I think Glav might have been with the Mets at the time. He threw up about a 35 mph lollipip. Murph couldn't help but laugh. Both guys knew the rules and the unwritten rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8hQVUrbHzo

• Options
    JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 8,562 admin

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

Your pops is 100@% right. He had some kind of block and couldn't keep from overthrowing 2nd base on steal attempts. Moved him to CF and prolonged and enhanced his career with that move. Do you remember when Glavine was told to hit him with a pitch? I think Glav might have been with the Mets at the time. He threw up about a 35 mph lollipop. Murph couldn't help but laugh. Both guys knew the rules and the unwritten rules.

TBS kid here. Thanks for sharing that YouTube. Still remember that one.

It does something to see Murf standing there in that box again. Feels a little like Ponce de Leon.

• Options

I was at that game. Murph's return to Atlanta.

• Options

@JeffSentell said:

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

Your pops is 100@% right. He had some kind of block and couldn't keep from overthrowing 2nd base on steal attempts. Moved him to CF and prolonged and enhanced his career with that move. Do you remember when Glavine was told to hit him with a pitch? I think Glav might have been with the Mets at the time. He threw up about a 35 mph lollipop. Murph couldn't help but laugh. Both guys knew the rules and the unwritten rules.

TBS kid here. Thanks for sharing that YouTube. Still remember that one.

It does something to see Murf standing there in that box again. Feels a little like Ponce de Leon.

I was mistaken. Glavine was still with the Braves. I also forgot he got tossed from the game for throwing "at" Murph. thanks for the clip to get my memory straightened out.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why were they throwing at Murph?

Was that just how they handled scoring situations back then? I’ve seen pitchers throw at batters before out of anger or out of an “I know you” message before, but never four throws in a row..

Maybe it was the “I know you” thing, but like the announcer in the clip said, Glavine did it out of protest? So it just looked awkward.

• Options

@levander said:
    Why were they throwing at Murph?

Was that just how they handled scoring situations back then? I’ve seen pitchers throw at batters before out of anger or out of an “I know you” message before, but never four throws in a row..

Maybe it was the “I know you” thing, but like the announcer in the clip said, Glavine did it out of protest? So it just looked awkward.

I think the "protest" was because he didn't wan to throw at a legend and a friend. I think there was some earlier throwing at a Brave and this was supposed to be **** for tat retaliation. Pretty funny, actually. The unwritten rule was "obeyed" and no one was worse for wear.

• Options

Benches had already cleared about 3-4 times in the game. Murphy led of the inning following a Brave getting beaned. Glavine, bowing to longstanding unwritten rules, had no choice but to plunk the first batter up the next inning. It was Murphy. Glavine didnt have it in him, to seriously dril him, plus the entire crowd was there to welcome Murphy home.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Anyone remember that baseball card Dale had with Lenny Dykstra? Dr. Dirt and Mr. Clean? It was kinda cool