Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia Tech adjusts substance-abuse policy for athletes

GodawgGodawg Posts: 56 ✭✭✭ Junior

Comments

• Options
    ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am not sure that any of us know what the current policy is here, but I believe that Kirby had already stepped away from a three strike policy. I also think that recruiting is a factor here. It seems like these higher rated athletes that we have been recruiting in the Kirby-era have been more focused on football than extracurricular activities.

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Substance abuse would be a 1 strike and you are out in my book, but I am not in charge so it does not matter

• Options
    GodawgGodawg Posts: 56 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited August 2018

My concern is that it might give the gNATS an unfair advantage in recruiting and early season games... :p

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

LOL. I'm still trying to figure out where using "science and experts" helped in coming up with this policy ... I guess they had to use those words to justify it to the pack of nerds. I'm surprised that they didn't use superior academics as part of the reason for justifying a common sense policy change. I'm sure that the e-sports "stars" that most of their students follow more closely than football don't get tested. Rofl.

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

These nerds will do anything to try to close the gap. What I find comical is they say "fortunately we haven't had to deal with this issue very much." So why the H E L L does the policy need changing?? Their nothing more than rich, spoiled nerds that realize we run EVERYTHING in this state and REGION for the most part. If UGA offers a guy, I haven't seen 1 that chose the nerds over us! RB's scared of competition and transfer to your state rival is the only way they get a DAWG! Ahem mr Green

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,043 mod

"Stansbury said that rule was added after consulting experts, researching the policies of other schools and considering Tech’s own history."

Experts consulted:

• Options

@scooterdawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    Substance abuse would be a 1 strike and you are out in my book, but I am not in charge so it does not matter

So I'm assuming that you've never taken a drink in your life then? Or maybe you don't understand the meaning of substance abuse? Because getting caught smoking pot on one occasion, which is what most of these guys are caught for, doesn't mean someone is abusing drugs.

In fact abuse of our national "legal" drug alcohol causes a lot more problems than pot ever could in terms of adversely affecting the ones drinking and others ie. drunk driving, fights, and spousal/child abuse. Now if you mean guys who piss their careers away by failing multiple tests then ok, but you seem to be preaching no tolerance and characterizing occasional use of pot as being drug abuse because it's illegal in most states currently. So is speeding, drinking more than two beers in a night and driving, etc. Glass houses meet stones and all that.

Very well put @scooterdawg . It AMAZES me they still believe they can win championships of anything other than a debate team or building a **** robot by running the triple option. It's a hs offense but hopefully they'll keep Johnson there for a LONG time! Still won't snag any recruit we want but it certainly doesn't hurt knowing they're going after 5'11 qb's that can run and a couple of 3 star tailbacks. It still amazes me how every once in a while they could land someone like Johnson at wr.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:

You want the addicts to do it the legal way and go to the pharmacy, eh? Kidding

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I didn’t know ping pong players smoked a lot of weed.

• Options

@scooterdawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

So I'm assuming that you've never taken a drink in your life then? Or maybe you don't understand the meaning of substance abuse? Because getting caught smoking pot on one occasion, which is what most of these guys are caught for, doesn't mean someone is abusing drugs.

In fact abuse of our national "legal" drug alcohol causes a lot more problems than pot ever could in terms of adversely affecting the ones drinking and others ie. drunk driving, fights, and spousal/child abuse. Now if you mean guys who piss their careers away by failing multiple tests then ok, but you seem to be preaching no tolerance and characterizing occasional use of pot as being drug abuse because it's illegal in most states currently. So is speeding, drinking more than two beers in a night and driving, etc. Glass houses meet stones and all that.

Your own personal beliefs do not designate what is legal and what is illegal. All of these guys know what is illegal. All of these guys know what is right and what is wrong. All of these guys know the opportunity that has been presented before them. Play **** games and you win **** prizes

Again, I am not the one in charge of this so it really does not matter... but its not hard to sit the guys down and tell them what they can and can not do (which I am sure is essentially day 1).... and in my world there is no room for substance abuse. I smoke weed “one time” and get popped for a random drug test and lose my job and lose my license..... its still MY FAULT that I lost my job because of my own personal choices that I made for something that was ILLEGAL..... regardless of my personal beliefs. Most of us don’t get second chances for these types of things in our life and athletes should not get special treatment from it either

Players who want to violate the rules that they are given can go play for Auburn

• Options

AU wouldn't give a piss. AU and UF and alot of the time UTjr are as dirty as a school can be

• Options

Auburn moved up the list for me with the whole Cam Newton mess

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@scooterdawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

Your own personal beliefs do not designate what is legal and what is illegal. All of these guys know what is illegal. All of these guys know what is right and what is wrong. All of these guys know the opportunity that has been presented before them. Play **** games and you win **** prizes

Again, I am not the one in charge of this so it really does not matter... but its not hard to sit the guys down and tell them what they can and can not do (which I am sure is essentially day 1).... and in my world there is no room for substance abuse. I smoke weed “one time” and get popped for a random drug test and lose my job and lose my license..... its still MY FAULT that I lost my job because of my own personal choices that I made for something that was ILLEGAL..... regardless of my personal beliefs. Most of us don’t get second chances for these types of things in our life and athletes should not get special treatment from it either

Players who want to violate the rules that they are given can go play for Auburn

It’s illegal to drive over the speed limit too. Would you kick them off the team if someone drove 5 miles op an hour over the speed limit?

Just because you got **** rules in your industry doesn’t mean we need them everywhere.

• Options

@levander said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@scooterdawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

It’s illegal to drive over the speed limit too. Would you kick them off the team if someone drove 5 miles op an hour over the speed limit?

Just because you got **** rules in your industry doesn’t mean we need them everywhere.

So in your opinion speeding is equivalent to substance abuse?

All "rules" are not created equally

Go into work tomorrow and tell them you got a speeding ticket.... then tell them you got arrested for doing drugs.... let me know if they carry the same weight

• Options

Sounds like some of y'all need to become GA Tech fans since you like all this lenience on substance abuse so much. Other schools can keep that stuff, we don't need those kinds of players

• Options

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@levander said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@scooterdawg said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

So in your opinion speeding is equivalent to substance abuse?

All "rules" are not created equally

Go into work tomorrow and tell them you got a speeding ticket.... then tell them you got arrested for doing drugs.... let me know if they carry the same weight

No, in my opinion they’re not the same.

But the argument you gave against marijuana for why it should be so obviously off limits is that is it “ILLEGAL” (your caps, not mine). I gave an example of something else that is illegal.

And I’ve worked in the past with people who have had drug issues. Thankfully I worked at places that tried to help them, not fire them.

• Options

Well.... I know who voted for Hillary

• Options

@PharmDawg2054 said:

Cool. I’m gonna quote you on that next time I’m accused of being a Trump supporter on this board. Maybe I can get you guys who view everything political through a narrow lens to start arguing with each other and take each other out?

• Options
    judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:

Voted for trump and i smoke. The majority of people’s political views don’t stick to party lines (some exceptions, such as Paul Ryan).

Bringing politics into this is pretty lame man. If you believe college students (or anyone for that matter) should be suspended for smoking dope, you don’t understand it.

Do yourself a favor man. Go downtown wherever you live, get your hands on a gram of it (probably $10), roll up a fat j, and see why these kids like it so much