Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia Tech adjusts substance-abuse policy for athletes

2»

Comments

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I personally believe it should be legal

But for now it's still an illegal substance and for me and my job I will be sure to steer clear because I'm surely not about to get some 3 strikes and I'm out treatment

• Options

The whole point on this is that GA tech is being too lenient in this policy in my opinion and that an illegal substance is not just isolated to weed.

If I am running a football team (which I am not) then I do not have time to sit around and babysit on those who are abusing illegal substances (that is not just weed). Someone knew a major rule that was placed in front of them and chose to break it. That person is taking a spot of another person who wants to focus on football and not going out and smoking weed or snorting cocaine and popping pills

Lets say life is a fairy tell for now and that weed is not classified as an illegal substance like cocaine and meth..... are you telling me that you would be ok with UGA following the same policy as GA tech is implementing in the case of players testing positive for cocaine?

• Options
    PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So they can get busted and stay clean for 9 months and have their slate cleaned? That means in a 5 year period, they could get busted 6 times and never have more than one strike on their record. Sounds like the old Steve Spurrier rule. Garcia & Clowney would’ve never made a semester in Athens. All this is going to do is teach them to push the envelope even more.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here is my thoughts on weed:

I don’t smoke.
    I think that these guys are in “car wrecks” each game.
    Pain killers are very addictive and hard to get legally for playing without jumping through a ton of hoops.
    Beer is legal after junior year, but take quite a few to “soften the pain”
    Weed is cheaper. $10 could help with pain, with fewer side effects than pain killers.

I don’t participate, but I can understand.

My two cents.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PlayHurt said:
    So they can get busted and stay clean for 9 months and have their slate cleaned? That means in a 5 year period, they could get busted 6 times and never have more than one strike on their record. Sounds like the old Steve Spurrier rule. Garcia & Clowney would’ve never made a semester in Athens. All this is going to do is teach them to push the envelope even more.

The article says they can only remove a strike once.

And the article also implies, but does not say that the strike doesn’t just automatically go away with the passage of time. It seems like the student has to do something particular during those nine months. Like maybe participate in a counseling or education program.

• Options

@bmauldin said:

I don’t smoke.
    Pain killers are very addictive and hard to get legally for playing without jumping through a ton of hoops.
    Weed is cheaper. $10 could help with pain, with fewer side effects than pain killers.

My two cents.

Unfortunately the article pertaining to GA techs new policy does not just include weed. If I am reading into the article incorrectly someone please let me know

• Options
    DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@bmauldin said:

I don’t smoke.

My two cents.

Unfortunately the article pertaining to GA techs new policy does not just include weed. If I am reading into the article incorrectly someone please let me know

Off Topic Alert!

I'm not on this board to debate the merits of legalizing pot. It's fine with me if ya'll want to continue that debate, though (not that you need my permission to do so...)

I would just like to request that, when referring to the enemy in ATL, we all quit placing the GA in front of Tech. When mentioning the bees, Tech will suffice.