Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Why didn't NFL Televize our National Anthem? For me, that's even more offending... Just sayN'

1235»

Comments

• DawgBiscuitDawgBiscuit Posts: 480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

@DawgBiscuit said:
    Folks,

My family and friends know how much of a football fan I am. I really love the game and even aspired to play past high school, but that was denied due to my own doing (another story). Now the game I love and enjoy so much has become a disappointment. Last season, in 2017, I stopped watching all NFL games after the disregard for those "who fought, and died" for America and our freedoms.

Last night I decided to see if the disrespect to those to died for our freedoms would continue, and to me it got worse so I turned the channel. As long as the disrespect from the NFL and its players continues, I will not watch their games. However, I just might choose to watch the Dallas Cowboys because of Dak Prescott and the Jerry Jones' stand for America. The following letter from a retired Marine sez it all...

...... :(

The moderators of dawgnation should be ashamed that this OP wasn't blocked within the first few hours. The participants should be ashamed for not Flagging the comment. At this time, I am the only one who did. I'll support what my viewpoint even though this is a waste of my time as 1. the OP should have been blocked through some mechanism, and B. the participants should know better than to post something like this, and III. I doubt this will do any good whatsoever.

1. It is blatantly political. Trumpov has put out that this is a current topic (NFL, 'flag abuse') to push to deflect from the ****-storm that he will soon face. It is political just from the prior history of the topic.
    2. 247sports this week notified the Junkyard to stop with the politics and religion. Well, the **** gets squeezed and it has to go somewhere, which is here. How about that!
    3. There should be a mechanism, manual or automatic, that at least alerts the moderator that something bad is afoot. Based on that alert, someone should take action to review what is going on and either block or unblock as is appropriate.
    4. The OP didn't identify the team. UGA is in GA but WE are all over. But moreover, there is no specificity as to which team, and in the current, no facts is okay environment, who is to say that it actually occurred? Fake news by the fakers?
    5. What happens during a NA that needs televising (not televizing - perhaps in the OP's Rossiya, it's 'televizing', but here in 'murica, it is televising)? Do you super-patriots stand and sing along at home, or just scratch your ass again?
    6. A protest about police brutality is perverted into a false charge of 'flag' abuse, and against veterans. Well, as I stated, I am a veteran. I want to live in a country that lives its ideals. I want my local police to do their tough job without abuse of their position and without murder. They are ONE PART of the justice system. They are not the jury and have NO PART in the punishment. So, the OP itself is nonsense and should be barred for that alone.
    7. There is no imperative to have the NA at a professional football game. None. Zip. There is no imperative to televise it. None Zip. Eliminate it. As I suggested earlier, if the NA is needed for whatever purpose, do the ceremony with the teams in the locker rooms. Everybody lives. So OP's point is based on nothing.
    8. The NA is a symbol. The NA wasn't in place until about 80 years ago (1930s). The USA survived about 140+ years without one. We fought the British and Spanish and Mexicans and Germans and Austrians and their allies without it. During that time as to national anthems, NA would have stood for NOT APPLICABLE.

This should be a no politics zone. **** politics. But get out to vote. Some **** are going down. Yeah, buddy.

Sir... I respectively believe that You have a right to be wrong.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@DawgBiscuit said:
    Folks,

My family and friends know how much of a football fan I am. I really love the game and even aspired to play past high school, but that was denied due to my own doing (another story). Now the game I love and enjoy so much has become a disappointment. Last season, in 2017, I stopped watching all NFL games after the disregard for those "who fought, and died" for America and our freedoms.

Last night I decided to see if the disrespect to those to died for our freedoms would continue, and to me it got worse so I turned the channel. As long as the disrespect from the NFL and its players continues, I will not watch their games. However, I just might choose to watch the Dallas Cowboys because of Dak Prescott and the Jerry Jones' stand for America. The following letter from a retired Marine sez it all...

The moderators of dawgnation should be ashamed that this OP wasn't blocked within the first few hours. The participants should be ashamed for not Flagging the comment. At this time, I am the only one who did. I'll support what my viewpoint even though this is a waste of my time as 1. the OP should have been blocked through some mechanism, and B. the participants should know better than to post something like this, and III. I doubt this will do any good whatsoever.

1. It is blatantly political. Trumpov has put out that this is a current topic (NFL, 'flag abuse') to push to deflect from the ****-storm that he will soon face. It is political just from the prior history of the topic.
    2. 247sports this week notified the Junkyard to stop with the politics and religion. Well, the **** gets squeezed and it has to go somewhere, which is here. How about that!
    3. There should be a mechanism, manual or automatic, that at least alerts the moderator that something bad is afoot. Based on that alert, someone should take action to review what is going on and either block or unblock as is appropriate.
    4. The OP didn't identify the team. UGA is in GA but WE are all over. But moreover, there is no specificity as to which team, and in the current, no facts is okay environment, who is to say that it actually occurred? Fake news by the fakers?
    5. What happens during a NA that needs televising (not televizing - perhaps in the OP's Rossiya, it's 'televizing', but here in 'murica, it is televising)? Do you super-patriots stand and sing along at home, or just scratch your ass again?
    6. A protest about police brutality is perverted into a false charge of 'flag' abuse, and against veterans. Well, as I stated, I am a veteran. I want to live in a country that lives its ideals. I want my local police to do their tough job without abuse of their position and without murder. They are ONE PART of the justice system. They are not the jury and have NO PART in the punishment. So, the OP itself is nonsense and should be barred for that alone.
    7. There is no imperative to have the NA at a professional football game. None. Zip. There is no imperative to televise it. None Zip. Eliminate it. As I suggested earlier, if the NA is needed for whatever purpose, do the ceremony with the teams in the locker rooms. Everybody lives. So OP's point is based on nothing.
    8. The NA is a symbol. The NA wasn't in place until about 80 years ago (1930s). The USA survived about 140+ years without one. We fought the British and Spanish and Mexicans and Germans and Austrians and their allies without it. During that time as to national anthems, NA would have stood for NOT APPLICABLE.

This should be a no politics zone. **** politics. But get out to vote. Some **** are going down. Yeah, buddy.

If you believe in protest and the first amendment, then you should have no problem with the OP’s comment. He said nothing but that people should stand for the anthem. It’s within his rights to believe that. You want it shut down and flagged because it differs from your view. Who should be ashamed now?

THIS is not the place to do THAT. What do you not understand? I do not want politics HERE. No one who cares about UGA should want that. Can we agree on that?

Also, what does the OP have to do with:
    UGA
    UGA football
    UGA football players
    UGA fan behavior
    UGA sports
    UGA anything
    ?
    Is this not DAWGnation. com? Get it?

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GordonBombay said:
    I never really watched football just for the anthem. I’d be happy if the anthem wasn’t televised just so both sides could stop talking about it. I’m here for the football, not anyone’s agenda. Rise up and Go Dawgs!

FWIW:
    Step away from the political for a second and look objectively...
    The military pays a lot of money for the “patriotic impression”
    The really frustrating part (no matter what side of the aisle you sit on), is that it is an “advertising spot” that’s being paid for.

Of course, it may “work” better for the military since it gets more press at times than the game at times.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg to be fair, we do have an "off topic" designation for discussions. They are allowed. We talk Falcons football, Cleveland Browns (because of a former player), Miami football (because of a former coach). We've talked softball, baseball, political leanings of talking heads in sports--and this thread is NFL football. Yes, it is political and I do understand where you are coming from. But the thread would have died a thousand deaths if folks wouldn't argue over the fact it exists.

@JayDog said:
    @FirePlugDawg to be fair, we do have an "off topic" designation for discussions. They are allowed. We talk Falcons football, Cleveland Browns (because of a former player), Miami football (because of a former coach). We've talked softball, baseball, political leanings of talking heads in sports--and this thread is NFL football. Yes, it is political and I do understand where you are coming from. But the thread would have died a thousand deaths if folks wouldn't argue over the fact it exists.

@JayDog to be fair, the OP was under General category, not OT. Plus it is political - "Yes, it is political"^^ - and let's see, SOMEWHERE it says politics can get one banned:

"....political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum"

• ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I respect the right of the OP to feel passionately about the issue. I am glad he cares enough to change the channel. Most would not.

Three problems here:

1) Expressing political beliefs on an online message board will eventually destroy it.

2). The issue is too far off topic and general. (No UGA or Georgia/Atlanta connections)

3). The title and the post don’t make sense. Is he angry that the anthem wasn’t televised (see thread title)? If so, that is a television network issue.

or

Is he angry at the players who don’t stand and sing the anthem?

Banning the OP is too harsh. He is angry and I sympathize with his frustration.

***Overall - Just post this stuff elsewhere.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@DawgBiscuit said:
    Folks,

If you believe in protest and the first amendment, then you should have no problem with the OP’s comment. He said nothing but that people should stand for the anthem. It’s within his rights to believe that. You want it shut down and flagged because it differs from your view. Who should be ashamed now?

I agree, we all are allowed opinions, it's an essential tenant to democracy.
    Still it reminds me a bit of a debate a British woman had with 2 Muslim men who went around harassing people who didn't dress Muslim. The reporter explained those people have the right to dress as they please in a democracy. The Muslims countered by asking ''what about our right to have them dress like we want them to ? The reporter simply said ''that's absurd''.
    The only measure of freedom is whether unpopular things are allowed, everybody in Nazi Germany had the freedom to praise Hitler, that wasn't much of a test. The test of course was in allowing critics of Nazism to speak openly, which wasn't allowed.
    This is only an issue because a certain undemocratically minded person went on a crazy tweet binge.

@FirePlugDawg said:

@JayDog said:

@JayDog to be fair, the OP was under General category, not OT. Plus it is political - "Yes, it is political"^^ - and let's see, SOMEWHERE it says politics can get one banned:

"....political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum"

Are you really so offended by this discussion that you'd try to get somebody banned ?

• ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How bout them Dawgs!

@WCDawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@JayDog said:

Are you really so offended by this discussion that you'd try to get somebody banned ?

The other option is, wait for it,.... "will get your posts deleted"^^^ Missed opportunity.

@FirePlugDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@DawgBiscuit said:
    Folks,

THIS is not the place to do THAT. What do you not understand? I do not want politics HERE. No one who cares about UGA should want that. Can we agree on that?

Also, what does the OP have to do with:
    UGA
    UGA football
    UGA football players
    UGA fan behavior
    UGA sports
    UGA anything
    ?
    Is this not DAWGnation. com? Get it?

Bump

edited August 2018

@FirePlugDawg said:

@JayDog said:

Now--let me preface this comment by saying I respect how you feel on this topic. Much like your problem with this thread in this forum--I don't like to tune into a game and have announcers or players force their political/SJW opinions into my fun time. That's why I no longer watch the NFL. I exercised my power to shut down the offending material for myself--not everyone else.

In response to your quote above, You might want to check out the definition and usage of the word, "rant". Your long post calling out the mods-- that was a rant. Might even say it was belittling. Stating an opinion hardly rises to that level. The intent of the warning is not necessarily to ban any politically leaning discussion. This one actually relates to football. You have the power to end the discussion for yourself by not reading the thread.

@Reeldawg said:
    How bout them Dawgs!

Yes..how about them ?

''Ponder those canines.''

edited August 2018

@FirePlugDawg said:

@DawgBiscuit said:
    Folks,

@JayDog THIS^^ is a measured response, not a rant. Not hard to tell the diff.

Also, this is from the OP: "Last night I decided to see if the disrespect to those to died for our freedoms would continue, and to me it got worse so I turned the channel. " And this is the subject/title: "Why didn't NFL Televize our National Anthem? For me, that's even more offending... Just sayN'" So is @DawgBiscuit saying that the disrespect is the NFL and not the players? Or is it whatever network that broadcast whatever game (a mystery) that didn't show the NA the 'disrespector'? Ding Ding Ding We have a winner! Pretty unlikely the NFL told the network (whichever it is, for whichever game - a mystery - it was) to not show the NA. Cannot deny that!

So the OP's nonsense isolated above is what got your panties in a bunch? For what purpose? A political purpose, right? RIGHT! And what is the DN's position on political topics? I gave it to you. Remember?

EDIT: BTW I left off the Chinese in my #8 of the cited comment. Boxer rebellion 1900-01, and also the US Marines in the Caribbean in the 1920s and 30s. No NA whatsoever. Just think: all those battles, all those veterans - no NA. How did they ever do it? DId our forebearers deliberately plot to disrespect all of them by not adopting a NA? Hmmm?

@FirePlugDawg LOL. My panties have not been in a bunch. If I didn't want to engage in this conversation--if it got my panties in a bunch--if I didn't agree with the relevance of the topic relating to NFL protest drama-I wouldn't be enjoying your wild, impassioned responses to our opinions.

@JayDog said:
    @FirePlugDawg LOL. My panties have not been in a bunch. If I didn't want to engage in this conversation--if it got my panties in a bunch--if I didn't agree with the relevance of the topic relating to NFL protest drama-I wouldn't be enjoying your wild, impassioned responses to our opinions.

Well,