Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

New Ole Miss logo and mascot

Comments

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PeachCoDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@SWGADAWG said:
    Just awful, is this an attempt to have a more politically correct mascot? Awful move just like the braves.

KnockAhoma was a horrible stereotype.
    I don't have a problem with Ole Piss losing The ole ''forget hell'' traitor as a symbol, but a shark ? it is beyond lame.

I knew Chief KnockAhoma. He lived in Macon and my buddy's dad was a postman there growing up. I used to know his real name but that was 40 years ago almost. He was a really cool guy. Loved playing the character. He was either Creek or Cherokee, which I am. Well, a quarter. BTW I thought the Ol Miss thing was a joke. I don't know what to think bout that. Looks like arena ball

Thought his name was Levi.

• Options
    PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2018

@donm said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@SWGADAWG said:
    Just awful, is this an attempt to have a more politically correct mascot? Awful move just like the braves.

KnockAhoma was a horrible stereotype.
    I don't have a problem with Ole Piss losing The ole ''forget hell'' traitor as a symbol, but a shark ? it is beyond lame.

I knew Chief KnockAhoma. He lived in Macon and my buddy's dad was a postman there growing up. I used to know his real name but that was 40 years ago almost. He was a really cool guy. Loved playing the character. He was either Creek or Cherokee, which I am. Well, a quarter. BTW I thought the Ol Miss thing was a joke. I don't know what to think bout that. Looks like arena ball

Thought his name was Levi.

That's it. You nailed it @donm. Levi Walker. It came to me as soon as I read your response. Thanks

• Options
    TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

Just my opinion, but they have every right to change their mascot. Especially when there's a good reason like the old mascot being reminiscent of the civil war and slavery. Doesn't matter what any of our opinions are on it, if people don't like the mascot then why the hell would they NOT change it?!

Also, the shark is definitely no Hairy Dawg but in this instance I stand by Coach MacElwain: the shark is pretty cool

• Options
    SWARLES_BARKLEYSWARLES_BARKLEY Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If they had no mascot, and someone came up with two ideas - 1) land sharks. 2) rebels
    The overwhelming pick would be land sharks. It’s more fun, looks cooler, and as a bonus avoids the ambiguity involved in identifying with secessionists in a war fought over slavery.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018
  • Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,741 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe they should also rethink the whole "Ole Miss" thing as well. It came about in the 1890's to kind of celebrate and romanticize the "Old Mississippi". Slight racial overtones on that one I think.

• Options
    sauceddawgsauceddawg Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

is this related to that basketball player they had a while back that would do a land shark celebration? white guy, liked cocaine. don't remember his name

• Options
    VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

@sauceddawg said:
    is this related to that basketball player they had a while back that would do a land shark celebration? white guy, liked cocaine. don't remember his name

Marshall Henderson? Didn't know he liked the powder. Thinking back, though, he did have alittle crazy in his eyes.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TheSmartWay said:
    Just my opinion, but they have every right to change their mascot. Especially when there's a good reason like the old mascot being reminiscent of the civil war and slavery. Doesn't matter what any of our opinions are on it, if people don't like the mascot then why the hell would they NOT change it?!

Depends on who "they" are. I've asked several Ole Miss alumni what they think of the change, and not one is remotely happy. All indicated that the vast majority of students and alumni do not support the change. Rather, it was approved and implemented by a handful of people in the university administration in response to political pressure. For some it's a travesty. For others, it's progress. I can understand both sides of the issue. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    sauceddawgsauceddawg Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

@VALDOSTADAWG said:

@sauceddawg said:

Marshall Henderson? Didn't know he liked the powder. Thinking back, though, he did have alittle crazy in his eyes.

yep that was the word on the street at least, and that's him for sure

• Options
    VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

@sauceddawg said:

@VALDOSTADAWG said:

@sauceddawg said:

yep that was the word on the street at least, and that's him for sure

I did enjoy watching him though. Really streaky and could demolish you with 3s.

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think the shark is ghastly but I do think it's time for Miss (not ole Miss) to move on....Change the name and move forward

• Options
    ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not a fan of the change. Who really wants a shark "muppet" as a mascot? I get the politics and the PC, but where does it stop? Nothing wrong with being a Rebel.

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

Their whole program has sunk to "Rebel Without A Cause".
    The Land Shark idea strikes me as something a small town minor league baseball team would come up with.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Rebels are no longer the Rebels.

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

Just makes me appreciate Hairy Dawg even more. Got to admit the one other mascot that I really get a kick out of is Stanford's Tree. The students change the tree costume every year so it's always interesting to see what trippy look they come up with.
    The Tree's also got a history of questionable incidents.
    https://deadspin.com/5137438/horny-inebriated-stanford-tree-a-menace-to-decent-society

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,741 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@christopherules said:
    The Rebels are no longer the Rebels.

Very nice. Great observation.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgBones said:
    Just makes me appreciate Hairy Dawg even more. Got to admit the one other mascot that I really get a kick out of is Stanford's Tree. The students change the tree costume every year so it's always interesting to see what trippy look they come up with.
    The Tree's also got a history of questionable incidents.
    https://deadspin.com/5137438/horny-inebriated-stanford-tree-a-menace-to-decent-society

Amazing.

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't know....I would have to see the mascot in person but it looks like it would scare the **** out of little kids

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This reminds me that we have the **** blow-up Dawg that is at our basketball games... Why not just have Hairy Dawg? As for Ole Miss, they have two problems that are more important than their mascot: (1) they s~ck, and (2) the NCAA is coming. Maybe their land shark can blow the Commodore? Maybe he can help Tennessee, Alabama and the Barn figure out which of their several mascots are actually the official ones? Maybe he can help the USCjr c0cks get a real mascot other than a chicken? The good Lord blessed is with the best mascot, and we forget the **** mascot issues that plague our conference.