Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Grayson players stage walkout

VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

Wanted to get y'all's opinion on this. BA mentioned it on the Podcast today. Nearly all the players walked out on practice in an attempt to get the Head Coach fired, because of practice conditions. Their season doesn't start until next Friday, but this is a terrible look for a top 10 nationally ranked high school football team.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/local-hs-football-team-stages-walkout-protesting-practice-conditions/814910678

«1

Comments

  • Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,181 mod

    No one is forcing them to play or be on the team

  • Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    I’d think that it’s kinda hard to leave the team when (allegedly) a number of players either had their families move or moved in with “relatives” to be able to go there....just saying.

  • Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

    When I was playing HS football that would simply not have happened.........However if this coach was that bad the parents would have gotten together and demanded something be done....where were the parents in this case

  • Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @dawgnms said:
    No one is forcing them to play or be on the team

    If it's real abuse, players and parents should speak up.
    Somehow I think this is more about what is happening broadly on campuses where children are making demands on those charged with preparing them for life.
    I'm more socially liberal than most of you, but it's getting ridiculous.

  • Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @dawgnms said:
    No one is forcing them to play or be on the team

    If it's real abuse, players and parents should speak up.
    Somehow I think this is more about what is happening broadly on campuses where children are making demands on those charged with preparing them for life.
    I'm more socially liberal than most of you, but it's getting ridiculous.

  • Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @dawgnms said:
    No one is forcing them to play or be on the team

    If it's real abuse, players and parents should speak up.
    Somehow I think this is more about what is happening broadly on campuses where children are making demands on those charged with preparing them for life.
    I'm more socially liberal than most of you, but it's getting ridiculous.

  • Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @scooterdawg said:
    You can say that again, and again lol.

    This software can be a pisser.
    I can't tell IF something will eventually post and I can't delete posts.

  • Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,181 mod

    @WCDawg said:

    @scooterdawg said:
    You can say that again, and again lol.

    This software can be a pisser.
    I can't tell IF something will eventually post and I can't delete posts.

    you can edit them with the word "stooopid" bahahahha

  • Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    According to the article the players were upset about going full contact in shorts and no pads. I can see where that might not be the best idea. I agree with many of the points being made in this thread, though, in terms of work ethic.

    It also makes me wonder where were the parents, other coaches, trainers, etc that it got to this point? How did it get all the way to a planned team walk out?

  • Options
    loxahatcheedawgloxahatcheedawg Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

    I don't read more into the article than what it reports. If practices included full contact in shorts then the kids should have said something. No other grievances were mentioned, the coach apologized and agreed to change, and the matter appears to be resolved.

    We are surrounded with evidence that each successive generation in America is lazier than the one prior but I don't think this situation is included.

  • Options
    andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

    @WCDawg said:

    @VALDOSTADAWG said:
    Wanted to get y'all's opinion on this. BA mentioned it on the Podcast today. Nearly all the players walked out on practice in an attempt to get the Head Coach fired, because of practice conditions. Their season doesn't start until next Friday, but this is a terrible look for a top 10 nationally ranked high school football team.

    https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/local-hs-football-team-stages-walkout-protesting-practice-conditions/814910678

    The clear potential for something like this to become a trend is why I started the thread about one of our players waving off a coach, now we've seen reports of a second player pushing back when asked to work harder.
    The situation at Maryland combined with the general trend of youth questioning authority has the potential to be very disruptive to programs.

    Without giving too much of myself away, I'm 62 and after shutting down my contracting business I decided to take a part time job. I was hired by a well known retail operation. I quickly learned some of the young employees were spoiled brats and management pandered to them. When a 23 year old man ( boy really) kept avoiding work I explained to him that I wasn't going to do both my job and his. The manager called me in and asked what I said to the punk, I was told the baby was almost in tears. I was given a ''verbal warning'', which oddly enough was written into my work record.
    I finished my shift and after sleeping on it I went in the next day, told the manager he was pandering to brats and ruining them to society and quit the job.

    Good for you!!!! Hope you find a more rewarding position.

  • Options
    Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    Lavender,why the down vote ? Seems like a pretty reasonable statement to me .

  • Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @loxahatcheedawg said:
    I don't read more into the article than what it reports. If practices included full contact in shorts then the kids should have said something. No other grievances were mentioned, the coach apologized and agreed to change, and the matter appears to be resolved.

    We are surrounded with evidence that each successive generation in America is lazier than the one prior but I don't think this situation is included.

    Is this the same staff from last year? Does this represent a change from last year’s approach. Sounds a bit”off” to me.

  • Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,051 mod

    @BamaDawg said:
    Test

    Multiple choice?

  • Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Look when I was in high school we would do full contact to an extent where we wrap up and stay off the ground in shorts and T-shirt. It’s basivally like a 7v7. It sounds like these kids are soft. I guarantee they weren’t going to ground. These kids didn’t want to practice because they think they are great.

    I know about the Maryland situation and this is not it. It’s just kids who are soft and don’t want to work. Even when the coach is giving them a break by putting them in short and shirt. It was so bad parents and administration would have stepped in way quicker on the matter.

  • Options
    BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @WCDawg said:

    @VALDOSTADAWG said:
    Wanted to get y'all's opinion on this. BA mentioned it on the Podcast today. Nearly all the players walked out on practice in an attempt to get the Head Coach fired, because of practice conditions. Their season doesn't start until next Friday, but this is a terrible look for a top 10 nationally ranked high school football team.

    https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/local-hs-football-team-stages-walkout-protesting-practice-conditions/814910678

    The clear potential for something like this to become a trend is why I started the thread about one of our players waving off a coach, now we've seen reports of a second player pushing back when asked to work harder.
    The situation at Maryland combined with the general trend of youth questioning authority has the potential to be very disruptive to programs.

    Without giving too much of myself away, I'm 62 and after shutting down my contracting business I decided to take a part time job. I was hired by a well known retail operation. I quickly learned some of the young employees were spoiled brats and management pandered to them. When a 23 year old man ( boy really) kept avoiding work I explained to him that I wasn't going to do both my job and his. The manager called me in and asked what I said to the punk, I was told the baby was almost in tears. I was given a ''verbal warning'', which oddly enough was written into my work record.
    I finished my shift and after sleeping on it I went in the next day, told the manager he was pandering to brats and ruining them to society and quit the job.

    WC, who was the second player pushing back?

  • Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,859 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    These high-profile teams....aren’t there all kinds of parents, scouts and others pretty much at every practice?

Sign In or Register to comment.