Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

OSU Investigation report....

MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just read through the investigation report. Frankly, it is incredible that Meyer is not fired. Several times, the report explicitly doubts Meyer's (and his wife's) truthfulness when it comes to their statements regarding (1) what they knew about the 2009 incident, including Meyer's claim that she recanted the allegations--even Zach Smith himself denies this recant meeting and (2) how much the Meyers knew and the amount of information they shared with each other in 2015. Shelly Meyer claims she told Urban nothing about the texts, pictures, etc. and also states that she didn't believe Courtney Smith. The investigators seem doubtful...

Not surprisingly, almost all of the Meyers' statements/positions are unsupported by evidence and are completely self-serving.

Comments

• DobroMattInOzDobroMattInOz Posts: 213 ✭✭✭ Junior

It's not incredible when you consider the "independent investigators" think we're **** enough to buy the lie that they didn't think Urban lied to the media. Kangaroo investigative team?

• MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DobroMattInOz said:
    It's not incredible when you consider the "independent investigators" think we're **** enough to buy the lie that they didn't think Urban lied to the media. Kangaroo investigative team?

I know. The conclusion to the report seems like a bad edit to get to desired result....

Although (1) we doubt a bunch of his self-serving statements, (2) found a bunch of inconsistencies, (3) looks like he deleted his text messages in advance of investigation, (3) discussed how to handle 2015 allegations and firing with misleading vagueness, (4) actually FAILED to follow protocol re allegations, and (5) repeatedly gave misleading statement to the media......"Nah, we don't think he lied."

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

Texts from 3 years ago? Mine last maybe a couple of months and most people don't even have the same phone from 3 years ago

• bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

After reading that, how do they not fire him? The media is going to rip them apart!

@BoulderDawg said:
    Texts from 3 years ago? Mine last maybe a couple of months and most people don't even have the same phone from 3 years ago

He inquired about how to do it and then deleted ALL of his old text messages HOURS before he was put on suspension and had to relinquish his phone. Maybe I'm cynical, but seems a bit fishy to me for an innocent guy.

• bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Heather Dinnich just destroyed him in an Espn write up.

@bigdawg2223 said:

Clay Travis, whether you like him or not, had a pretty amusing reaction to the press conference on his Twitter account.

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MinnesotaDawg said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

Clay Travis, whether you like him or not, had a pretty amusing reaction to the press conference on his Twitter account.

this....according to the press conf...urban made it sound like zach was beating him 2...unbelievable.....that whole "diff set of rules" thing is becoming hard to deny...

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This saga from beginning to yesterday's end just reinforces what we've all known since his Florida days--Urban Liar is slimy.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

I have not read the report so I don't know the details. But I have a question to ask unrelated to the character of the coach. If a coach reports ALLEGATIONS of abuse to his administration, if the accused denies the allegations, if the police are called and no charges are filed--should the mere accusation of abuse get a person fired? Was this generally the situation here?

I don't know the law in Ohio, but in some states the police must press charges in a domestic violence call if evidence of abuse is found.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JayDog said:
    I have not read the report so I don't know the details. But I have a question to ask unrelated to the character of the coach. If a coach reports ALLEGATIONS of abuse to his administration, if the accused denies the allegations, if the police are called and no charges are filed--should the mere accusation of abuse get a person fired? Was this generally the situation here?

I don't know the law in Ohio, but in some states the police must press charges in a domestic violence call if evidence of abuse is found.

Careful. I discussed these issues 2 weeks ago and was called a while bunch of stuff, including a woman abuser myself, by a bunch of younger posters.

The answer SHOULD be NO, that a person does not get fired over allegations, especially when the police have investigated and declined charges.

What the report states is what I've suspected all along - they don't have the evidence the fire with cause and $38 million is too much money to eat when the truth is that you would prefer to keep your coach. Now time will tell if this matters on the recruiting trail. I'm skeptical it will matter very much at all.

• tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

@JayDog said:

Careful. I discussed these issues 2 weeks ago and was called a while bunch of stuff, including a woman abuser myself, by a bunch of younger posters.

The answer SHOULD be NO, that a person does not get fired over allegations, especially when the police have investigated and declined charges.

What the report states is what I've suspected all along - they don't have the evidence the fire with cause and $38 million is too much money to eat when the truth is that you would prefer to keep your coach. Now time will tell if this matters on the recruiting trail. I'm skeptical it will matter very much at all.

They definitely could have fired him with cause

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JayDog said:

I think the key here is your use of allegation(s), as in plural. You’re guilty till proven innocent these days, in the court of public opinion that is. The plural allegations indicate a pattern of conduct unbecoming of a public leader...my company would terminate with cause for these allegations. Accusations are front page news, in the “A” block on the tube. Clearances and retractions are located down below on the ticker. We never let facts get in the way of a juicy story. If a company’s brand/culture is at risk, you’ll get the pink slip.

That said, where there’s smoke...the pictures of abuse were enough for me. I don’t care if she is equally violent/drunk, cops were called and he was originally arrested per McMurphy’s report and copy of the 2015 incident. They can let a 30 for 30 detail how the report got changed 10 years from now. Smith should not be an appointed leader of young men, especially when indicators are he’s less than a man.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For you lip readers or those with memory/exposure, the tOSU report summarized:

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@JayDog said:

They definitely could have fired him with cause

You are 100% correct. Saying you are firing for cause and having it stand up in court are separate issues. There absolutely would have been a lawsuit if OSU tried to walk away from the contract.

• allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg I would really like to see a 30 for 30 on this...