Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Clemson's remaining schedule is a joke

PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited September 2018 in General

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/fpi?id=228&year=2018

Not necessarily their fault, but their strength of schedule this year is honestly one of the weakest in my opinion

The most likely game they have of losing according to ESPN FPI is Boston college....

GA southern
GA tech (lost to USF)
Syracuse (this isn't basketball)
Wake forrest (really)
NC State (may be their toughest or second toughest competition...)
FSU (lost to Virginia tech and won in the last minute against dominate samford)
Louisville (beat down by Bama)
Boston college (really...)
Duke (really....)
South Carolina (may be their toughest or second toughest competition)

Comments

• Options
    benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They can't pick their conference opponents, and we can't really talk with a down SEC east and OoC like MTSU and UMass

• Options
    benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Besides, not every team is willing to go on the road to an SEC west team. If TAMU's qb keeps playing well we might look back on last nights win as a pretty good one

• Options
    Herschel_TalkerHerschel_Talker Posts: 114 ✭✭✭ Junior

@PharmDawg2054 said:

Not necessarily their fault, but their strength of schedule this year is honestly one of the weakest in my opinion

The most likely game they have of losing according to ESPN FPI is Boston college....

FSU (lost to LSU)

FSU lost to VA Tech FWIW

• Options

@Herschel_Talker said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

FSU (lost to LSU)

FSU lost to VA Tech FWIW

Yea my fault on that one, corrected

• Options

@benjaminwgregg said:
    They can't pick their conference opponents, and we can't really talk with a down SEC east and OoC like MTSU and UMass

Like I said in the original post, not completely their fault... but analysts somehow have their remaining schedule as being more difficult than ours that includes Auburn and LSU

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Don’t sleep on backup college. They’re a little frisky this year

• Options
    dawghousedawghouse Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

I’ve read that BC has some guys who play with a nasty streak, they’re suppose to have a tough team this season.

• Options

@dawghouse said:

@Kasey said:

I’ve read that BC has some guys who play with a nasty streak, they’re suppose to have a tough team this season.

Boston college hasn't signed better than a 3* player since 2011

They haven't won more than 7 games in a season since 2009

• Options
    dawghousedawghouse Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not saying they have a high-skilled team but that they are suppose to play tough (meaning hard-nosed), and that they are expected to be competitive in their games because of that. Not sure if it’s a good/fair comparison but they sound like they might play like App State, over achievers.

• Options
    Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@benjaminwgregg said:

It doesn’t look like they will play a ranked opponent unless SC is ranked at the end of the year.

UGA will play at least 3 in SC (24th when played), LSU, and Auburn. Not counting SEC title game.

Maybe Kentucky or Mizzou sneaks in?

Either way Clemson may not play a single ranked oponnemt the entire year. As light as our schedule is it’s better than Clemson’s.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

That game is in Boston. Clemson has shown they can lay an egg on the road midseason. Was Syracuse supposed to beat them last year?
    @PharmDawg2054

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know it's too early for this type of speculation but how would you handicap a potential Clemson/ Georgia matchup sometime in January?

• Options

Clemson may lose to Boston College, and what a joke that would be. Their loss to Syracuse was laughable last year and it showed in their competitive score of 24-6 against Alabama (sarcasm)

Alabama had closer games against: TAMU, FSU, LSU, MS State, Auburn, and Georgia in that particular season.

Clemson may not Face a single ranked opponent the entire season other than South Carolina at the end of the season (maybe) as said above by @Raiderbeater1

TAMU might have been their toughest opponent and they will finish 3rd to 5th in the West this year....

Georgia would beat Clemson by 14 or more and analysts would pick Clemson for the game I am sure.

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No one expected FSU to be this bad...
    NC state, Duke, and SC can surprise some teams...
    Likely to see Miami in the ACC CG...
    The last two loses have been from Pitt and Syracuse. So anything is really possible.

• Options

If you lose to Syracuse or Pitt, you should not go to the playoffs....

• Options
    Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep. Clemson’s 2 toughest (and only ranked) games may be their 2 SEC opponents. TAMU wasn’t ranked when they played but I can see them sneaking into the top 25 at the end of the year even at 7-4 just based on SOS. USCjr may end up being ranked at some point this year or at the time they play Clemson but I can’t see them losing the Clem and staying that way. If I was a betting man I’d now say that after the end of regular season the only remaining ranked team Clemson had played would be A&M.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When Clemson won the natty they became media darlings. They are a top 10 team, maybe top 5, but not #2. Their defensive line will overwhelm a lot of teams, but not the better teams in the SEC.

• Options
    101Dawgnations101Dawgnations Posts: 37 ✭✭ Sophomore

I don't think A&M is going to sneak up an beat Alabama by any means, but even if they can go 8-4, that's respectable given their division. That would establish A&M as a quality win, especially given that it was on the road. South Carolina also has a chance to end the season ranked. It's not the strongest schedule by any means, but it's not drastically worse than some of the other contenders and I do give them props for scheduling a viable nonconference opponent.

• Options
    101Dawgnations101Dawgnations Posts: 37 ✭✭ Sophomore

@GrayDawg said:
    When Clemson won the natty they became media darlings. They are a top 10 team, maybe top 5, but not #2. Their defensive line will overwhelm a lot of teams, but not the better teams in the SEC.

The general narrative has been that A&M played very well and that the home field advantage dropped Clemson's quality of play a bit. I believe both of those things are true and I believe A&M is a quality win, but there's a little more to the story. Home field advantage typically takes a greater toll on the offense, as the offense has more trouble communicating and getting the play off in a loud stadium. But it wasn't the offense that concerned me about Clemson in that game so much as the secondary. Kellen Mond made basically every throw he wanted to in the second half, and while he played well, he would not be the best quarterback in a playoff setting. I think Clemson is very good...but probably not great. Not yet, anyway.

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    If you lose to Syracuse or Pitt, you should not go to the playoffs....

I agree. Clemson got favoritism because their QB got injured in the game. So what, thought injuries were p art of the game. Clemson will be there though until rest of ACC improves