Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WR Blocking

DawgFan2008DawgFan2008 Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

Piggy Backing on @Chip_Towers article https://www.dawgnation.com/football/team-news/georgia-wr-tyler-simmons-blocks-his-way-into-starting-job

With commitments from Jadon Haselwood and Dominick Blaylock we know we have WR talent coming in. The blocking portion of their game though will determine when they see field. We like to get excited about them but like Demetris is finding out you have to block before you can catch for UGA. I can see ( Jadon and Dominick) them in the passing schemes ( 5 wide empty). Like Kirby says it doesn't matter the number of stars next to your name. @JeffSentell Wonder your thoughts on this subject on the recruiting trail.

Comments

• Options
    Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I would guess that as thorough as these kids are today that they know what's expected of them before the ever commit to anywhere. I'm sure that Kirby would lay it all out for them and that they are savvy enough to know that if they want to play for the Dawgs that they are expected to block.

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby is OLD SCHOOL. The running game and the defense drives the bus. So if u ain't interested in blocking u ain't getting on that bus.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree that the receivers must block to see the field. But to be fair it hasn't been stated anywhere, from anyone inside the UGA locker room, that Robertson can't block. It's just been implied by 2 DawgNation articles. He seemed to block fine this past week... I guess since the "QB controversy" is over, we need something new to talk about.

• Options
    njdawg81njdawg81 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

On a somewhat related note - I rewatched the USCjr game and on Swift's touchdown Ahkil Crumpton pretty much tackled the guy he was blocking. He should have been called for holding.

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There was NEVER a QB controversy as our Starter is and was clearly better than his Uber talented understudy. Now how long that remains the case we'll c, but to your point 1) No reason AT ALL to worry about D-ROB and his blocking 2) Once Justin Fields MASTERS Chaney's offense there is definitely the potential for a QB controversy heading into next year.

• Options
    Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MeR3htid said:
    There was NEVER a QB controversy as our Starter is and was clearly better than his Uber talented understudy. Now how long that remains the case we'll c, but to your point 1) No reason AT ALL to worry about D-ROB and his blocking 2) Once Justin Fields MASTERS Chaney's offense there is definitely the potential for a QB controversy heading into next year.

I hope not, don't care anything for controversy, just want to win!

D-Rob may be a fine blocker, but perhaps not as good as some of the others. I'll just trust, Kirby, Chaney , and Tucker to put the best ones out there in increase our chances for victory.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I still don't understand this infatuation of the fans with Robertson. He looks ok to me, but I'm yet to be that impressed with him. I'm sure if he was the second coming of AJ the coaches would be starting him. Fact is we had some pretty decent WR's on the team before he showed up.

• Options
    Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gotta block to get the rock baby

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:

Hence why I put “QB controversy” in quotes.

• Options
    dawgwood82dawgwood82 Posts: 202 ✭✭✭ Junior

I've loved Kirbys receiver blocking demands since he got here. During the Richt era I only remember seeing good solid blocks from Michael Bennet and Chris Durham.

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think that Demetris Robertson came in very late in July. He is coming off of a injury. He is still trying to learn the playbook, work out timing with Fromm and get into game shape. He will be fine just give him sometime.

For every pass from Fromm he has had trown to him, all the other receivers have had tens of them.