Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Trevor Lawrence situation

2»

Comments

• Options
    BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The amusing thing to me is that Syracuse nearly won for the second straight year.

• Options
    3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

chase is not chopped liver...if protocol keeps t law out...all the talk in the state will be that chase is better than bentley...the cuse is by far the best team they will play until miami...the acc is garbage this yr...prob won't play a ranked team until the conf tittle game and maybe not even then.

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Clemson won't play another ranked team until the ACC title

From what I hear the upperclassman are unhappy T-Law was named the starter.

Any feelings a player is owed anything because of last year, or last 3 years, is BS. Not how elite programs should be run. Look at UGA and Alabama. The best should start, period.

The QB situation at Clemson has mishandled for nearly a year. And maybe even that isn't accurate. Maybe it was right decisions/intentions with bad luck. But they have invested everything into T-Law, for better or worse.

I was at the Clemson game today. Fans are truly torn. Most understand Bryant's and Dabo's side. Remember when on Star Trek: TNG when Picard said something to the effect of "it is possible to make no mistakes and still lose"? Similar concept. Neither side has to be wrong, each does what they think is best. The fallout, however it goes, does not vindicate either side.

Clemson's offensive playcalling leaves a lot to be desired. The OL is not what it was the last 3 years. The D is not as good as it could be but it also carrying too heavy a load.

As someone who is a regular at Clemson games, I disagree with Dabo's decision. At least based on what info is publicly available. But he did let Bryant know so that he could utilize a redshirt.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tfk_fanboy The thing is, no one of them was really playing better than the other. There was no “best player”. One had stronger stats in one area. The other had stronger stats in another area. Dabo probably made the decision to develop Trevor for the future.

Here’s a guy I watch in YouTube break it down. He agrees with some of what you said. Some of what I said.

https://youtu.be/B-PeWbvb1bg

• Options

@levander said:
    @tfk_fanboy The thing is, no one of them was really playing better than the other. There was no “best player”. One had stronger stats in one area. The other had stronger stats in another area. Dabo probably made the decision to develop Trevor for the future.

Here’s a guy I watch in YouTube break it down. He agrees with some of what you said. Some of what I said.

https://youtu.be/B-PeWbvb1bg

so I watched the entire nearly 14minute video

I never said one was playing better, but T-Law lead to more scoring drives and Bryant has more rushing yards. T-Law will never be a runner so no real surprise. But if overall they are comparable you go with the guy with the higher ceiling if forced to choose.

Clemson would have lost to A&M if not for Bryant, so he certainly has value. He started 18 games in a row. He was given an opportunity. Clemson has decided to go all in, to use a pun, on Lawrence. It could work out o it could backfire. Clemson did Bryant a solid but not having him play in a 5th game without first giving him the option to transfer.

But the staff is privy to info no one else is. Maybe they see Trevor surpassing Bryant within a few weeks or by the end of the season. Maybe in practice he is outplaying Braynt, or not limiting the team's offense like Bryant can. Maybe Lawrence said make me the starter or I'll transfer. We have no idea. But the staff decided to go with Lawrence and they treated Bryant honestly but letting him know and giving him the option to leave

It might take 3-4 years before we know if the right or wrong decision was made. But I think Clemson handled it fairly

• Options

@tfk_fanboy If it’s gonna take 3-4 years to know whether or not they made the right decision, then the coaching staff sold out this year’s team. They told the seniors that your last season isn’t important to us. They didn’t go with the best player. They went with making future teams better, not this one.

• Options

@levander said:
    @tfk_fanboy If it’s gonna take 3-4 years to know whether or not they made the right decision, then the coaching staff sold out this year’s team. They told the seniors that your last season isn’t important to us. They didn’t go with the best player. They went with making future teams better, not this one.

we don't know that. the staff might think Lawrence's ceiling this year is higher than Bryant's this year and they did go with who they think is the best player. If they just make it to the playoffs this year they already matched last year's ceiling.

and as a coach your job is to ensure what is best for the program. that can mean hard decisions.

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey man, a blind man can c that Trevor Lawrence is an objectively superior option under center than Bryant was. But I think Dabo wanted to utilize them both the remainder of the season with Lawrence as the Starter and Bryant as the veteran reliever and the leader of the unit called on to salt away games in the 4th Qtr after Lawrence and Co builds a big lead. Also he could've still been a goal line and short yardage QB so it's not like he was gonna b holding a clipboard the whole year. Just a really weak move by Bryant IMO. This could've been a team capable of upsetting Bama if Bryant had stayed and worked with the youngster and stayed preparing as though he was still the starter KNOWING that to win a Championship Clemson would need both ready to go. Just a really weak move and 1 I think the kid(Bryant)will 1 day regret because of the Clemson ties he's broken as spoken of by Chris Carter.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:
    Hey man, a blind man can c that Trevor Lawrence is an objectively superior option under center than Bryant was. But I think Dabo wanted to utilize them both the remainder of the season with Lawrence as the Starter and Bryant as the veteran reliever and the leader of the unit called on to salt away games in the 4th Qtr after Lawrence and Co builds a big lead. Also he could've still been a goal line and short yardage QB so it's not like he was gonna b holding a clipboard the whole year. Just a really weak move by Bryant IMO. This could've been a team capable of upsetting Bama if Bryant had stayed and worked with the youngster and stayed preparing as though he was still the starter KNOWING that to win a Championship Clemson would need both ready to go. Just a really weak move and 1 I think the kid(Bryant)will 1 day regret because of the Clemson ties he's broken as spoken of by Chris Carter.

I thought I heard Dabo say he'd be welcomed back.

• Options

@tfk_fanboy said:

@levander said:

we don't know that. the staff might think Lawrence's ceiling this year is higher than Bryant's this year and they did go with who they think is the best player. If they just make it to the playoffs this year they already matched last year's ceiling.

and as a coach your job is to ensure what is best for the program. that can mean hard decisions.

The safer call would have been to go with the proven veteran rather than the freshman who we’ve got four games of film on, but we believe will surely do even better than he has been.. To take that kind of risk really discounts the fact that the veteran invested over 3 years of time in working your system.

• Options
    3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

clemson can put both ross and higgins on the field at the same time...thats why t law is starting...you have 2 nfl receivers that you can use downfield...ross has pro bowl potential...that renfrow kid has solid hands and can handle your underneath and is smart enough to help t law on blitz...your rbs can catch enough.... its easy for me...have a runner or a guy who can utilize your teams greatest talent outside your d line.... those 2 wr....

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It would only have helped TL to remain in the back up role or even take a redshirt. He is still developing physically and will still make freshman mistakes.

I agree with others--he was not outperforming Bryant enough to warrant this Chang. Should have given TL that year to develop and let Bryant do his thing.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

Could be that Dabo sees what most other people see - that nobody on Clemson's schedule looks like they will be a real challenge. He said yesterday that he’d never really thought that Bryant would leave the program. Think that Dabo figured that Lawrence gives them the best chance of beating the caliber of teams they will face in the playoffs, and that Bryant would stay on team and be a capable backup option. Will have to hope that Lawrence can stay healthy now.

• Options
    joe_rush45joe_rush45 Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

I personally don’t disagree with the PLAYER at all ; as a player your always supposed to sacrifice for the TEAM , but players can be traded/released(pro level), benched etc and they’re not supposed to have feelings ?

As RS senior he’s played the TEAM game , it’s time for HIM to think about himself and ensure he one day provide for his FAMILY