Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Playoff picture

PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I took a look at the playoff and it might be starting to gel and get interesting. Clemson, Notre Dame, and Ohio State have passed their biggest tests and they are highly ranked and undefeated. It isn't a stretch at all to think that all three teams might stay undefeated. Ohio State has to get past a Michigan team that has struggled, but it is a rivalry. Clemson has the same with SC and the ACCCG. And Notre Dame just has to get by a top 25 team in VT this weekend, and then no other ranked opponents. Then you have to throw in the B12 with WVU and OK. Playoff spots might be tough this year. I would expect the SEC champ would get in, but barring some huge upsets, this might be an unusual year where we have a number of undefeated teams in the playoffs.

Comments

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

I still think a one lost dawg team could still slide into the playoff over these other school. Here is why the next 4 games after Vandy but we don’t sleep on Vandy. Win all 4 against top ranked team. Note 3 could possibly be top 10 teams and on the road. Then play the Tide like the natty the Dawgs would have a very very strong case to go to the playoff. Since that is 5 ranked teams. Compared to the 2 or 3 ranked opponents these other schools have played.

So I hate to say it but we all need to start pulling for LSU, the barn, kensucky, and the jorts. To keep winning. Also we need usc jrto pick it up and go on a role winning. To maybe sneak back into top 25. Or even Missouri to win and crack top 25.

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

Last year was something of an anomaly. Still early but I'm thinking the SOS may be a very important factor this year. Not that the SOS isn't important every year but this year I can see the possibility of 5 undefeated teams making an argument to get in.
    If it continues to play out an unbeaten SEC team will certainly get the nod but unlike last year probably not a 1 loss SEC team should 4 other unbeaten teams be vying for a spot. I'm always of the ilk that we in the SEC play some of the toughest football of any conference and therefore should almost always be in the finals. What we have to remember is the rest of the country has SEC burnout and is really ready to see someone else in the picture. Don't know if that could sway the selection committee but time will tell.
    Just my 2 coppers.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Having Alabama, Clemson, and the Dawgs again would not happen. It also means three southern schools are dominant, and the powers-that-be don’t want that. Expect ND to get special favor (which helps our SOS next year) and OK or OH State who was left out last year. We have to start beating Bama - might as well start now. (Although LSU could take us both down and could you see LSU v KY in the SECCG?)

• Options
    DawgNutDawgNut Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think UGA would get in with just one loss to Bama in the SECCG if OSU, ND, and Clemson/Oklahoma/West Va are undefeated. Bama and OSU got in with one loss and not even playing for their conference title because there were no undefeateds to force the committees hand and they just love OSU and Bama. Now if any two of those teams have a loss and we play Bama close we would have a shot. Don't forget about the PAC12 champ, although the only underrated

• Options
    mleemlee Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Lots of football left to play and lots can happen! All we can do is keep winning!

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BrotatoChip88 said:
    If we can't beat Bama in Atlanta then I don't even care about the playoffs. I'm sick and tired of losing to Bama! The SECCG is the season for me, period!

I'm pretty confident you'll care about the playoffs once they get here and if we are in them. regardless of how we get there.

• Options
    Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This limited 4 team playoff has ruined the bowl game IMO. If you don’t make the playoffs there is really nothing to play for.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can’t see a repeat scenario like last year with two SEC teams making the cut. Who ever wins conference gets in

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ND has a fairly weak resumé and no conference championship. Could come back to bite them. Clemson’s only tough games will come against SEC opponents, and they barely got by Syracuse. But you’re right, unless some upsets happen, the SECCG could possibly be a play in game for the playoffs. Either way, knockoff the dynasty and you’re in. Most importantly, need to worry about one game at a time right now.

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah beat BAMA in Atlanta and regardless of what happens next I'll declare this season a resounding success. Back to Back SEC Championships in a reloading year and a signature victory over perhaps Nick Sabans best team yet. Yeah, sign me up!

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@orlando said:
    Can’t see a repeat scenario like last year with two SEC teams making the cut. Who ever wins conference gets in

Hearing the national media talk--Bama can make it as a one loss team. They are pounding opponents, they have the darling of the media (Tua) and of course, they are believed by the media to be the best coach and team in the country. If the top five teams have four undefeated and a one loss Bama--the Tide will have a good shot at making the playoff. They are probably the only one loss team with a chance.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JayDog said:

@orlando said:

Hearing the national media talk--Bama can make it as a one loss team. They are pounding opponents, they have the darling of the media (Tua) and of course, they are believed by the media to be the best coach and team in the country. If the top five teams have four undefeated and a one loss Bama--the Tide will have a good shot at making the playoff. They are probably the only one loss team with a chance.

Probably be a little different this year, as Bama is likely to make it to the SECCG, if so, and there’s 3 other teams from other conferences that are undefeated (unlike last year), they’ll be left out if they lose the SECCG. Last year they benefitted from not playing in the SECCG and also from a slew of upsets that drug other teams down. That might not happen again. They kind of had the perfect storm of scenarios last year, which is unlikely to happen often.

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think that Clemson has the weakest schedule... but there is no way the committee leaves them out. I will actually be pulling for South Carolina at the end of the season for that rivalry game

SEC champion goes
    Notre Dame is a likely in
    Big 10 champion (Ohio State)
    Then ACC champion (Clemson) or big 12 champion (Oklahoma)

The only way two SEC teams go is if there are some 1 and 2 loss conference champions such as: Clemson, Ohio stage, Oklahoma

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@Dawg1419 said:
    This limited 4 team playoff has ruined the bowl game IMO. If you don’t make the playoffs there is really nothing to play for.

What was there to play for before the playoffs? There has always been a championship bowl game. Remember when BYU won the 1984 NC? Who did they play in their bowl to claim that title? It was a 6-5 Michigan team in the Holiday Bowl. How fair was that? Washington that year was #2 at 11-1 and didn't even get a shot. They were locked in to the Rose Bowl no matter what back then. Yes, BYU was the only undefeated team that year, but in the end all they had to do was beat a 6-5 team to claim the title. If they had lost it would probably have been a split title with UW.

• Options

@JayDog said:

@orlando said:

I hear ya Jay. Ponder this, Bama and UGA are both undefeated and dawgs beat them in Atl. Do both get in again, is the mighty Tide left out ? Doubt it plays out that way but stranger things have happened.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@orlando said:

@JayDog said:

@orlando said:

I hear ya Jay. Ponder this, Bama and UGA are both undefeated and dawgs beat them in Atl. Do both get in again, is the mighty Tide left out ? Doubt it plays out that way but stranger things have happened.

It all depends on how many undefeated teams there are. I can see a path where the SECCG loser makes the playoffs.

• Options

A lot of ball left to play. All dawgs can do is keep choppin’ and winning.

• Options
    RetiredRedcoatRetiredRedcoat Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Math and history say there will not be that many undefeated teams. There just won't be. College football is beloved for its chaos, and I'll believe in multiple undefeated teams at season's end when I see it.

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I dont feel a 1 loss UGA team makes it unless we win the SECC. We're not the media darlings that Bama, ND,OSU are yet. But may be soon