Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Does anyone here consider Finebaum a real authority on SEC football?

Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm sorry but I don't. ESPN seems to value his opinions a lot but personally I feel he is really only interested in controversy like "which coach is on the hot seat", "the grandeur of Nick Saban", "which QB should be playing" etc. I kinda doubts he even watches much football. Even though he passes himself off a big Alabama fan, I really don't think he could even name over 5 or 6 players on Alabama's team. Am I wrong on this?

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If I want advice on how to polish the top of my head or **** up to Saban, I'll consult Fine-bum.

• Options
    ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not a big fan of finebaum. This should have been a poll question.

• Options
    RobbieRob14RobbieRob14 Posts: 217 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think he was much more respectable before he started appearing on SportCenter. Then he just became a character like Kannel, Skip, Steven A, etc.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@greygoose01 said:

@WCDawg said:
    If I want advice on how to polish the top of my head or **** up to Saban, I'll consult Fine-bum.

Fine-bum would be Laura Rutledge B)

Laura can polish anything I have, I'm a generous man.

• Options
    insertusernamehereinsertusernamehere Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

His only job is to drive traffic to SEC network and he does that by pushing Bama and getting reactions from folks who love or hate them.
    No, I don’t view him as an authority on anything except history. He’s a more boring and subdued Cowherd or Stephen A...

• Options
    dawgbybirthdawgbybirth Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Paul is good. I am entertained, not betting on his picks or anyone else's.
    Paul brings the traffic to the SEC.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wish more of the modern news media personalities would drop the act that they’re some kind of expert, so we need to listen to them.

Most of them are just entertainers these days. Which is fine. I just find it annoying how they pretend to be experts when they’re not.

• Options
    MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Finebaum is an expert in the same sense that Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless are experts--only in their own minds.

• Options
    greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MIghtydawg said:
    Finebaum is an expert in the same sense that Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless are experts--only in their own minds.

Wait don’t leave out Colin Cowherd(er) :D

• Options
    dawghousedawghouse Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can’t recall ever learning something new from Finebaum.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think he's worth listening to in the car on my drive home. He knows more about football than most of his callers. Many of his guests know a lot more. For example, I'm watching his show on tv at this minute. The guest is a DGD and is very knowledgeable, Matt Stinchcomb. Guys like him make the show.

To say nothing of a Florida graduate who was also Miss Florida. And, oh, she does know a lot about football, Laura Rutledge.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He’s the only national media guy who focuses only on the SEC. I would consider him an “expert” as far as any TV analyst can be considered an expert. Doesn’t mean I agree with him all the time, but he’s as good as anyone else out there doing football on TV and radio. I think it’s funny when he brings on all the hill-billy Bama fans...really makes them look ridiculous sometimes. The Georgia fans tend to be more moderate and articulate. It’s a good show. I don’t give a crap about OSU or ND or UW...having a show dedicate to the SEC is pretty cool.

• Options
    ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Finebaum is a nerd. Could give two hoots what he thinks. But I do enjoy when he toys with his nutty callers.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:
    He’s the only national media guy who focuses only on the SEC. I would consider him an “expert” as far as any TV analyst can be considered an expert. Doesn’t mean I agree with him all the time, but he’s as good as anyone else out there doing football on TV and radio. I think it’s funny when he brings on all the hill-billy Bama fans...really makes them look ridiculous sometimes. The Georgia fans tend to be more moderate and articulate. It’s a good show. I don’t give a crap about OSU or ND or UW...having a show dedicate to the SEC is pretty cool.

Minus Darrell, he makes UGA fans look awful.

• Options
    CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JimWallace said:
    I think he's worth listening to in the car on my drive home. He knows more about football than most of his callers. Many of his guests know a lot more. For example, I'm watching his show on tv at this minute. The guest is a DGD and is very knowledgeable, Matt Stinchcomb. Guys like him make the show.

To say nothing of a Florida graduate who was also Miss Florida. And, oh, she does know a lot about football, Laura Rutledge.

Go, Dawgs!

Agreed. It makes my 1 hour commute bearable. It's either him or Aaron on sec network. Sometimes ESPN u is ok but it's mostly a big 10 push there. Do I consider him an expert, no, he's a pretty good host though. I would imagine his show was quite different before it went national.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Red_N_Black said:
    I'm sorry but I don't. ESPN seems to value his opinions a lot but personally I feel he is really only interested in controversy like "which coach is on the hot seat", "the grandeur of Nick Saban", "which QB should be playing" etc. I kinda doubts he even watches much football. Even though he passes himself off a big Alabama fan, I really don't think he could even name over 5 or 6 players on Alabama's team. Am I wrong on this?

I think he could name more than 5-6 players on bama’s team

• Options
    PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love the PF Show.

• Options
    kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Having spent some years in Birmingham as an undergrad studying lit before they had a football program, I got an earful of Bama BS which included, of course, that self-aggrandizing moron. No, he isn't an expert. He thinks he's witty and insightful, but he more like a guy that gives you toilet paper in an outhouse and expects a tip.

• Options
    PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Paul isn't the expert or opinion - The callers and guests are...Paul gives you access to those people. Regardless, I think Paul Finebaum probably knows a little bit about college football, and probably more than most of the ppl here saying he's ignorant.