Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Harder dialect to understand?

bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Harder dialect to understand? 21 votes

Cajuns
76%
Acrum21mleeBiffLowmanTdub0199insertusernamehereAgDawgUnderDog68orlandoSavageDawg1989BigcalidawgSoFL_DawgbenjaminwgreggRxDawgRockSpringDawgTNDawg71706Dawg 16 votes
Scottish
23%
Dawg88jarred_buckpgjacksonCatfishmanateedave 5 votes

Comments

• Options
    RockSpringDawgRockSpringDawg Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Cajuns

I never had a hard time understanding, “I’m giving ‘er all she’s got, Captain”. But coach O might as well be chewing gravel when talks.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@bmauldin said:

It’s a tie for me. I coached with a Scottish soccer coach for a few years and never knew what the h@ he was talking about. I’d love to hear him and coach have a conversation!

• Options
    moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Cajuns

Cajun....Coach O needs subtitles when he talks.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Cajuns

I feel like the cajuns tend to mumble more

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Since Cajun ( Actually Creole) is derived from French and I don't speak French, Scottish is easier for me.

• Options
    kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can tell you - living in France and speaking a little bit - that Cajun is very strange and difficult to understand. I showed my wife some Cajun video before the LSU game and she had this confused look on her face...so funny.

• Options
    edited October 2018

@kelly_b said:
    I can tell you - living in France and speaking a little bit - that Cajun is very strange and difficult to understand. I showed my wife some Cajun video before the LSU game and she had this confused look on her face...so funny.

I met 2 landscapers on a job site back in the early 90s who spoke in Creole. I asked them if it was French, luckily one of them spoke fair English and he explained to me they came from a Cajun village south of New Iberia and that the dialect was mostly French based but also English and African influenced. He said some villagers lived their whole lives in the swamps and many only spoke the local dialect, as Creole varies from area to area.

• Options

That's true, it does vary so it that makes it even more difficult. And it being a hybrid of so many influences makes it a nightmare...but I love to listen to it.

• Options

@kelly_b said:
    That's true, it does vary so it that makes it even more difficult. And it being a hybrid of so many influences makes it a nightmare...but I love to listen to it.

I had a pretty good ear back when I met the Cajuns, I listened and could tell it wasn't pure French, that's why I asked about it. It was a very interesting day.

• Options

Yeah, in addition to taking my wife to Athens (she's been to Chatsworth, Dalton, Chattanooga, Atlanta) but it was before the season started. I want her to experience what that's like in Athens. But she wants to see NOLA (and eat the food). Aside from losing, that would have been a good time for her.