Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Reason for Jake Fromm’s regression???

Comments

• Options
    brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's sports there are just some days where nothing can go right for you, and everything can go right for the other team. That was one of those days last week.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Casanova_Flatulence said:

@WCDawg said:

@LowcountryDawg21 said:
    Good looking, charismatic young man who is the starting QB for a major college football program...think I’d be more concerned if he DIDN’T have a girlfriend.

He had a bad game. From some of the things Kirby’s said during the week, sounds like some of the receivers did too (running wrong routes, etc.). It was a bad game, from start to finish, in all aspects. There are some personnel issues that aren’t going away (D-line), but I’ve come to believe that this was just a bad game.

The regression is the entire advanced areas of the passing game, and started long before The LSU game,it's both QBs and receivers. A lack of communication, wrong routes, poor timing, etc,etc. I keep coming back to the 2 critical coaching reassignments and how both QBs are being handled.

The coaching change could definitely be a factor, as you point out. One easy fix IMO is to get Coley out of the booth. Kirby does NOT need him up there. As the QB coach Coley needs to be on the field talking his guys after each series and coaching them up or calming them down. He can't look at the whites of their eyes from up in the booth. This seems so elementary to me!

I think since we have the formula from last season still on staff, move Chaney back to coaching QBs and put Coley back where he got good results, coaching WRs. Putting Hankton with TEs wouldn't be a big deal, it's probably the least important coaching position other than maybe RBs.

Haven’t you already posted your QB coaching theory in this thread?

• Options
    706Dawg706Dawg Posts: 467 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Kasey said:

Also this

Ha! That’s cute +1, lmao.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@LowcountryDawg21 said:
    Good looking, charismatic young man who is the starting QB for a major college football program...think I’d be more concerned if he DIDN’T have a girlfriend.

He had a bad game. From some of the things Kirby’s said during the week, sounds like some of the receivers did too (running wrong routes, etc.). It was a bad game, from start to finish, in all aspects. There are some personnel issues that aren’t going away (D-line), but I’ve come to believe that this was just a bad game.

The regression is the entire advanced areas of the passing game, and started long before The LSU game,it's both QBs and receivers. A lack of communication, wrong routes, poor timing, etc,etc. I keep coming back to the 2 critical coaching reassignments and how both QBs are being handled.

The coaching change could definitely be a factor, as you point out. One easy fix IMO is to get Coley out of the booth. Kirby does NOT need him up there. As the QB coach Coley needs to be on the field talking his guys after each series and coaching them up or calming them down. He can't look at the whites of their eyes from up in the booth. This seems so elementary to me!

I think since we have the formula from last season still on staff, move Chaney back to coaching QBs and put Coley back where he got good results, coaching WRs. Putting Hankton with TEs wouldn't be a big deal, it's probably the least important coaching position other than maybe RBs.

Then maybe I should just not respond to posts like yours and others directed to me. is that your contention ?

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,173 mod

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@LowcountryDawg21 said:

Not ONLY this thread lol

• Options

Not that another opinion is needed on the QBs overall performance YTD but is it possible we’re making too much of all speculation? Coaches, competition, famililarity with WRs, too much responsibility etc. I don’t think any of us really know including staff as of course they would aggressively plot a course of correction. Let the professionals figure it out.

I think we just have to let this play out and pray that it works out. I’m in the camp of “just win baby!” Doesn’t matter who’s behind center. Dawgs first, individuals second. JMO.

• Options

@706Dawg said:
    Not that another opinion is needed on the QBs overall performance YTD but is it possible we’re making too much of all speculation? Coaches, competition, famililarity with WRs, too much responsibility etc. I don’t think any of us really know including staff as of course they would aggressively plot a course of correction. Let the professionals figure it out.

I think we just have to let this play out and pray that it works out. I’m in the camp of “just win baby!” Doesn’t matter who’s behind center. Dawgs first, individuals second. JMO.

I understand the sentiment. Esoecially in a thread started because of a picture a college student posted on Instagram with his girlfriend. But that’s not gonna happen. We’re gonna discuss this till our thumbs fall off. Especially considering this is a discussion board.

But Sentell was willing to start a food section on this forum. Maybe if you ask him he’ll start a prayer section too?

• Options

@levander said:

@706Dawg said:

I understand the sentiment. Esoecially in a thread started because of a picture a college student posted on Instagram with his girlfriend. But that’s not gonna happen. We’re gonna discuss this till our thumbs fall off. Especially considering this is a discussion board.

But Sentell was willing to start a food section on this forum. Maybe if you ask him he’ll start a prayer section too?

Yeah not trying to dictate convo, this is an opinion board and I’ve been here for 5 mins. As I’ve gotten caught up on the 15 threads about our QBs, I haven’t seen a divide this evident since Richts finals days and what we should do. Just feeling that the strong opinions are premature. LSU whooped us, envoked emotion, and our offense has sputtered in relation to expectations. Not sure of the answer, just hoping we find one.

• Options
    BrettGarrBrettGarr Posts: 152 ✭✭✭ Junior

@jtdawg2020 said:
    Just saw Instagram post with Jake From and apparent girlfriend. Can’t help but wonder if great town of Athens and all it has to offer (including potential girlfriends) has distracted Jake and got him a bit off his game this year. This might seem a little far fetched initially but we all know how women can get us off our game (especially in the beginning dating phase). This may not make a difference for an O-Lineman but with QB position being so cerebral and Jake being a qb that so heavily relies on that as opposed to his athleticism, I think this is a true possibility. Thoughts?

You're right -- it IS far-fetched... :)

• Options

@706Dawg said:

@levander said:

@706Dawg said:

Yeah not trying to dictate convo, this is an opinion board and I’ve been here for 5 mins. As I’ve gotten caught up on the 15 threads about our QBs, I haven’t seen a divide this evident since Richts finals days and what we should do. Just feeling that the strong opinions are premature. LSU whooped us, envoked emotion, and our offense has sputtered in relation to expectations. Not sure of the answer, just hoping we find one.

Being QB of a football team is like being lead singer in a rock band. You always get way too much attention. And all this Jake vs Justin started back during the recruitment of Justin. A lot of people been very hungry for a dual threat QB. DT QB’s got such hype behind them, for a long time people were running around saying stuff like “you can’t beat Bama unless you got a DT QB!” Then people started making lists of the QBs who have beaten Bama, and you still hear that line, but not nearly as much any more. But now that we got Justin on the bench, and people have read all the media hype about him during recruiting, people can just taste having a DT QB in our back field. They could care less if they have to throw Fromm under the bus.

This Jake vs Justin stuff isn’t new. It’s just at another flash point because Jake had a bad day last Saturday. Some (not all) of the pro-Justin guys were even arguing we should start Justin go8ng into the season.

But it’s li,e I said. It’s like being lead singer in a rock band. There’s always too much hype and attention on that position. If you want more serious discussion, you’re probably better off looking at different positions.

• Options
    mleemlee Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Now it’s a girl that is causing Fromm to play poorly. He is performing just like he did last yr when he is asked to throw more. Go look at games he threw the ball more than 25 times last yr and you’ll see the same result as this yr. We won games last yr with defense and running the ball not bc of Fromm. 42-7 beat down on FL and he completed 4 passes.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

Maybe two issues are related: (1) Fromm holding on to the ball too long / not anticipating the pressure, and (2) our lack of D-line pressure. Since we practice against each other so much, if we are not pressuring our QBs in practice, Fromm is likely not being sharpened up this way. Thus he is used to having more time than he does in real games and numb to the sacks heading his way.

• Options
    edited October 2018

And I mean this in as respectful of a way as I can: the Fromm men are all clearly fishing from a stocked pond. If they want to let us in on the secret, I’d be grateful.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greshamdisco said:
    And I mean this in as respectful of a way as I can: the Fromm men are all clearly fishing from a stocked pond. If they want to let us in on the secret, I’d be grateful.

Are we allowed to use the words hot and Mom in the same sentence ?

• Options

Good genes in that family.

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe he has visions of flying fish hooks and ski rope handles when he is going through his progressions causing him to miss open receivers and holding the ball too long.

• Options
    3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

tough to hold talent back...reps on reps on reps....if fields is that much better....he will eventually take the job...coaches and team will embrace it....

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, 1 HORRENDOUS performance does not equal regression in my book and I'm sure the original poster probably didn't mean it as a jab at Fromm. He's been pretty much rock steady since he arrived on campus as an early enrolee and his statistics (Numbers r really, really good)and his record as a starter 18-3 is REALLY, REALLY GOOD so there's nothing wrong with him but I do wonder about how the position is being coached because while he's been good this yr (with 1 notable exception) he's not the same fella as he was last year and I don't buy for 1 minute that it has anything to do with his backup, something is amiss with the way he and Fields r being handled and it's the coaching staff that is doing the handling so it's their job to fix WHATEVER may be broken so that he ( Fromm) can bounce back against Florida and give us a CHANCE to take down the Gators and move 1 victory closer to a CHANCE to SLAY THE DRAGON in Tuscaloosa that's incinerating EVERYTHING in it's path. GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just want him to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack. You can see him start to freeze up when he can’t find an open man and he looks like he’s trying to find a place to hide.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Did anyone notice how much trouble Fitzgerald (a running QB) had against LSU last night?

It’s almost like their defense is pretty good or something