Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

25.5 post a day on average......

Comments

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@MikeGriffith said:
    I think it's interesting someone it counting up other people's posts and averaging them out -- that shows true dedication!

Once again, forget the behavior...what's the meaning behind it. It could be good -dedication - or it could be far less noble - denigration.

What is the MEANING behind your post, I must know, forget my posts, let's dissect you.

OK. The meaning behind my posts is that I think it's not wise to imply motivation simply from a person's behavior. People often look at a still photograph, for example, and claim that so and so was thinking/feeling something when it could have been something entirely different. Matt Corall is either a "hothead" or a "good teammate". Someone is either "obsessed" or an "educator". Nothing really that mysterious (I don't think) in my posts on this topic.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@MikeGriffith said:
    I think it's interesting someone it counting up other people's posts and averaging them out -- that shows true dedication!

Once again, forget the behavior...what's the meaning behind it. It could be good -dedication - or it could be far less noble - denigration.

What is the MEANING behind your post, I must know, forget my posts, let's dissect you.

OK. The meaning behind my posts is that I think it's not wise to imply motivation simply from a person's behavior. People often look at a still photograph, for example, and claim that so and so was thinking/feeling something when it could have been something entirely different. Matt Corall is either a "hothead" or a "good teammate". Someone is either "obsessed" or an "educator". Nothing really that mysterious (I don't think) in my posts on this topic.

I get that, I was being a bit sarcastic, not sardonic though, there was no harm intended.
    Basically my thinking is this, everybody please get off my case.
    Maybe 90% of white southern sports fans consider themselves conservative, they also tend to be aggressive with anybody they imagine has different political views, plus, many are idiots. Most moderates are like you, agreeable types, rather noncommittal though.
    The choices on boards like this, Agree with the many subtle digs at ''lefties'' , ignore all politics, be like you, or voice different views and attract negative comments. The choice then is to parse, like most do, ''oh, I see your point and I really don't disagree'' or just not much concern yourself with how unpopular your views are and attract more negative comments from the misguided 90%.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2018

@FirePlugDawg said:

@12ed said:

@levander said:
    I’ve gotten to the point where I just consider WC like one of those bug zapper lights you can put out on your porch.

Yeah they’re annoyingly because they make that humming buzz noise and they are way too bright.

But what kind of riff raff would you have around your place if you didn’t have that bug light there scaring people off?

That’s what you gotta ask yourself.

All I got out of this is your bug light zappers apparently scare people away from your porch.

I would like to see pictures of these bug zappers. They have to be very impressive.

So you shall...

Do not know if the above is the brand, but it does work. Needs to be open to the atmosphere (not in a sealed fixture).

There is also a unit that works on a USB charge (battery). It lasts 30 hours, and it too works. (Cleans by running water over it. The ZappLight comes with a small brush. FYI: The ZappLight must have some protection - cannot be fully exposed, while this USB unit can be commando.)

I had the USB unit going on my back porch where I have a sealed fixture. Draped a coated wire over the fixture and attached the unit to that. There is a small rubber seal that protects the charge function. It will likely fail before the working part fails.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@12ed said:
    I use to be on a board where some UK guy was trying to predict shifts in the currency market with astrology, yes that's a thing. His posts were very trollish, but he had a confirmed live account with a reputable forex broker that everyone on the board could observe. He ended up blowing up that account... Detonated a £500k account balance that he had managed to expand to £1 mil all to way down to £0 in gloriously tragic fashion.

I didn't keep up with his posting average but it seemed like it had to be over 100 posts per day.

Now THAT was addiction. 25.5 per day seems very tame to me.

Years ago I use to play a lot of Texas Hold'em online. In 2009 I got on a 4 month long hot streak and was up well over $4M. Then I ran into a hand I'll never forget. I thought I had the nuts with my Full House, but alas I was taken down by quad 2's and suddenly I was looking at a $0 balance ledger. That stung a wee bit.

edited November 2018

@Casanova_Flatulence said:

@12ed said:
    I use to be on a board where some UK guy was trying to predict shifts in the currency market with astrology, yes that's a thing. His posts were very trollish, but he had a confirmed live account with a reputable forex broker that everyone on the board could observe. He ended up blowing up that account... Detonated a £500k account balance that he had managed to expand to £1 mil all to way down to £0 in gloriously tragic fashion.

I didn't keep up with his posting average but it seemed like it had to be over 100 posts per day.

Years ago I use to play a lot of Texas Hold'em online. In 2009 I got on a 4 month long hot streak and was up well over $4M. Then I ran into a hand I'll never forget. I thought I had the nuts with my Full House, but alas I was taken down by quad 2's and suddenly I was looking at a $0 balance ledger. That stung a wee bit.

I was a stock trader from 2004 thru 2008. I started out checking the wires for news, then quickly buying thru Ameritrade. It took a skinny minute to realize the system is rigged, news is always leaked, the bump comes before any news is made public, if you buy on news, it's as likely to decline as gain, maybe more so. The bump comes hours BEFORE honest investors have access to the news.
    Then I shifted to researching before quarterly reports, buying before reports and selling between a minute and 2hours after the report is made public.

This worked pretty well for 3 years, then in 2008 the bad news started surfacing and scared corporations started ''restating'' their finances, basically admitting fraud, I lost my arse. over a 4 month period and that ended my career as a stock speculator.

edited November 2018

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@MikeGriffith said:

I get that, I was being a bit sarcastic, not sardonic though, there was no harm intended.
    Maybe 90% of white southern sports fans consider themselves conservative, they also tend to be aggressive with anybody they imagine has different political views, plus, many are idiots. Most moderates are like you, agreeable types, rather noncommittal though.
    The choices on boards like this, Agree with the many subtle digs at ''lefties'' , ignore all politics, be like you, or voice different views and attract negative comments. The choice then is to parse, like most do, ''oh, I see your point and I really don't disagree'' or just not much concern yourself with how unpopular your views are and attract more negative comments from the misguided 90%.

Let me begin by saying "I AM NOT PICKING A FIGHT."

Now, you say that you would like everyone to get off your case. Yet then you basically go on to say that 90% of us are white, southern, conservative, misguided, idiots.

I don't see how that is going to help you achieve your goal.

I posted some of the 90% are idiots, that is very obviously true.
    As for picking a fight, I could pull up some of your comments, but that would lead to a long back and forth.
    Also, what do you think my goal is ?

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2018

@greshamdisco said:
    I’m just posting here to get my average up.

LMAO....👍

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Catfish said:
    Noon Saturday can't get here soon enough!

Yep, I'm getting antsy so it's time to make a Margarita!

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@MikeGriffith said:

Now, you say that you would like everyone to get off your case. Yet then you basically go on to say that 90% of us are white, southern, conservative, misguided, idiots.

As for picking a fight, I could pull up some of your comments, but that would lead to a long back and forth.

You are correct that I didn't totally represent what you posted. Only a portion of the 90% are idiots. For that I deeply apologize. We all know that only conservatives have idiots.

If you wish to go back and find old conversations that we have had, have at it. It's obvious that you have plenty of time.

As for your goal(s), my thoughts on that will stay with me. Everyone can form thier on opinion.

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Go Dawgs.

@Catfish said:

Have you tried heavy drinking ?

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Catfish said:

Used to do that but I found it ruined my star quality.

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@MikeGriffith said:

You are correct that I didn't totally represent what you posted. Only a portion of the 90% are idiots. For that I deeply apologize. We all know that only conservatives have idiots.

If you wish to go back and find old conversations that we have had, have at it. It's obvious that you have plenty of time.

As for your goal(s), my thoughts on that will stay with me. Everyone can form thier on opinion.

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Go Dawgs.

Actually I was > @Catfish said:

@WCDawg said:

@Catfish said:

Used to do that but I found it ruined my star quality.

Quiter !

Better a quitter than dead. 😉

@Catfish said:

Did William Wallace quit pissing off Long Shanks..Well, did he ?

@WCDawg said:

@Catfish said:

Did William Wallace quit pissing off Long Shanks..Well, did he ?

No sir he did not. Different purpose.

• DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@12ed said:

I was a stock trader from 2004 thru 2008. I started out checking the wires for news, then quickly buying thru Ameritrade. It took a skinny minute to realize the system is rigged, news is always leaked, the bump comes before any news is made public, if you buy on news, it's as likely to decline as gain, maybe more so. The bump comes hours BEFORE honest investors have access to the news.
    Then I shifted to researching before quarterly reports, buying before reports and selling between a minute and 2hours after the report is made public.

This worked pretty well for 3 years, then in 2008 the bad news started surfacing and scared corporations started ''restating'' their finances, basically admitting fraud, I lost my arse. over a 4 month period and that ended my career as a stock speculator.

Did you every try shorting during this time? Could've made a fortune.

@DamnYankeeDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@12ed said:

Did you every try shorting during this time? Could've made a fortune.

No, I really haven't studied shorting.