Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Could Kirby possibly bring back the "Bullpups"? Would he? Should he?

Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A lot of us have fond memories of Thanksgiving days of old when the annual Ga.-Ga.Tech Freshman Shrine Game was played to a packed house at Grant Field in Atlanta. Since freshmen weren't eligible for varsity competition for many years, this game gave us a glimpse of what the future held for our beloved Bulldogs. With that being said, I just wonder if Kirby would ever think of using some mop-up time to put an all true freshman team on the field to close out a game. Offense and defense. The new redshirt rule would make this entirely possible. It would be a great recruiting tool and great for creating the competition Kirby is always seeks and I, for one, would love to see it. Oh, by the way, this offensive team and defensive team of "Bullpups" would each consist of five 5-star players, five 4-star players and one 3-star player. For those who think I'm crazy to suggest this, I would simply say this. Although young and inexperienced, the players on this true freshman "Bullpups" team would create the highest rated team ever step on the field for University of Georgia.
And in the words of the late Furman Bisher, Selah

Comments

• Options
    BrooklynDawgBrooklynDawg Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Red_N_Black said:
    A lot of us have fond memories of Thanksgiving days of old when the annual Ga.-Ga.Tech Freshman Shrine Game was played to a packed house at Grant Field in Atlanta. Since freshmen weren't eligible for varsity competition for many years, this game gave us a glimpse of what the future held for our beloved Bulldogs. With that being said, I just wonder if Kirby would ever think of using some mop-up time to put an all true freshman team on the field to close out a game. Offense and defense. The new redshirt rule would make this entirely possible. It would be a great recruiting tool and great for creating the competition Kirby is always seeks and I, for one, would love to see it. Oh, by the way, this offensive team and defensive team of "Bullpups" would each consist of five 5-star players, five 4-star players and one 3-star player. For those who think I'm crazy to suggest this, I would simply say this. Although young and inexperienced, the players on this true freshman "Bullpups" team would create the highest rated team ever step on the field for University of Georgia.

For Kirby they would have to prove they can perform in practice 1st before he would let them off the leash. The good thing is our 'bullpups' already see plenty of time on the field and some were starters last year. You aren't crazy to suggest, I just don't see it happening again.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Red_N_Black said:

UV for the Furman Bisher reference. I remember the TV show that he hosted in the 1960s, with Coach Meyer(sp?) and someone(s) else. Covered the SEC with emphasis on Tech and UGA. Very entertaining.

https://furmanbisher.weebly.com/1950s-fame--family.html

• Options
    AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think there would be a problem with numbers. Back in the day, before the 85 scholarship rule, teams would have 100+ scholarship players, more than enough to field a Freshman team.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AndersonDawg said:
    I think there would be a problem with numbers. Back in the day, before the 85 scholarship rule, teams would have 100+ scholarship players, more than enough to field a Freshman team.

w walk-ons I'm sure we'd have enough to field a team.