Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Colin Kapernick has become face of Nike’s new ad campaign

Comments

• Options
    CharlestowneDawgCharlestowneDawg Posts: 211 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@PlayHurt said:

@CharlestowneDawg said:

@PlayHurt said:
    Nike, ESPN, etc, need to stay out of politics & focus on sporting apparel & sports. If I want to know about politics, I’ll turn it over to FOX.

You couldn’t be more wrong.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@charlottedawg85 said:

Absolutely wrong. I think you’d see vets telling him to stand his ass up and respect the flag. Find a way to protest differently. NEVER disrespect the flag or anthem.

If I remember correctly he met with a vet that was playing in the nfl after he originally sat for the national anthem. They talked it out and he explained his position and they cane to an agreement that he would kneel rather than sit. I could be misremembering though, who knows?

Not sure that qualifies as the final answer simply because the one guy was a vet. I suppose that if the choice is sit or kneel, kneeling would be preferable. However, Both are improper and disrespectful. So is linking arms, holding hands, fist in the air....anything other than standing facing the flag or music, hand on heart. Unless you are disabled or elderly and can not stand, then it is perfectly acceptable to remain seated.

• Options
    BigDawgEatinBigDawgEatin Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PerroGrande said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

A picture of confliction. I love the Dawgs. But hate Nike and social justice for black people.

No, the picture of “confliction” is thinking protesting a symbol of freedom—the National Anthem—in any way contributes to social justice. It doesn’t. All it does is disrespect freedom, justice, and everything good about America.

Racist are a dying breed.

No, they are not. There are many racists still alive and well in our country: black and white.

So was it a picture of freedom when slavery was thriving?

• Options

@pgjackson said:

@charlottedawg85 said:

Absolutely wrong. I think you’d see vets telling him to stand his ass up and respect the flag. Find a way to protest differently. NEVER disrespect the flag or anthem.

If I remember correctly he met with a vet that was playing in the nfl after he originally sat for the national anthem. They talked it out and he explained his position and they cane to an agreement that he would kneel rather than sit. I could be misremembering though, who knows?

Not sure that qualifies as the final answer simply because the one guy was a vet. I suppose that if the choice is sit or kneel, kneeling would be preferable. However, Both are improper and disrespectful. So is linking arms, holding hands, fist in the air....anything other than standing facing the flag or music, hand on heart. Unless you are disabled or elderly and can not stand, then it is perfectly acceptable to remain seated.

...and liberals are the sensitive snowflakes?

• Options
    efreeman3efreeman3 Posts: 99 ✭✭✭ Junior

@jay_kubzz said:
    Just some quick stats
    Cop shootings in 2017:
    457 whites were killed by cops vs 223 blacks being killed by cops.

2018:
    211 whites killed vs 102 blacks.

Another stat, not all shootings by cops are by white cops.

Another shooting stat, in the past 365 days there have been 411 black on black homicides in CHICAGO alone, just one city. Think about that, ONE CITY. More blacks have killed blacks in one US city in the past year vs country wide cops have in a year and a half.

It’s a tragedy for both sides, but don’t for a second be fooled by how bias and manipulative mainstream media are. They’re pushing a certain agenda and fail strongly to bring all the stats into light.

Facts. The media doesn’t push this because it doesn’t benefit their end goal. There are bad people in every profession and across all walks of life but 99 % of law enforcement are good folks who put their lives on the line for us daily.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

From USA Today Online, August 27, 2016:

Hours after Pro Football Talk took note of San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick sitting during the national anthem before Friday’s preseason game against the Green Bay Packers, the QB spoke out and explained it was a protest.

Here’s what he told NFL.com’s Steve Wyche:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

• Options

@PerroGrande said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

A picture of confliction. I love the Dawgs. But hate Nike and social justice for black people.

No, the picture of “confliction” is thinking protesting a symbol of freedom—the National Anthem—in any way contributes to social justice. It doesn’t. All it does is disrespect freedom, justice, and everything good about America.

Racist are a dying breed.

No, they are not. There are many racists still alive and well in our country: black and white.

Excellent. There are people who actually think it is impossible for a black person to be racist, simply because all racism is against blacks. I’ve actually heard people say that before. Racism exists in every society in every country. It’s not relegated to one particular skin color.

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Isn't there a CFB game on we could all be watching. Even if it is ACC its got to be better than this redundant tirade.

• Options
    edited September 2018

@pgjackson said:

@charlottedawg85 said:

I guess hats are okay to keep on whlie holding a conversation? I’ll wait

• Options
    jay_kubzzjay_kubzz Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:
    Just some quick stats
    Cop shootings in 2017:

2018:

Another shooting stat, in the past 365 days there have been 411 black on black homicides in CHICAGO alone, just one city. Think about that, ONE CITY. More blacks have killed blacks in one US city in the past year vs country wide cops have in a year and a half.

It’s a tragedy for both sides, but don’t for a second be fooled by how bias and manipulative mainstream media are. They’re pushing a certain agenda and fail strongly to bring all the stats into light.

So are there more black people or white people in this country? Give me percentages. Another Play from the Trump playbook....bring up Chicago in order to deflect. I can’t be killed by someone on the south side of Chicago,why, because I live in Georgia. But I can be killed or beaten in a routine stop by a cop in any state. Chicago is a poor and ineffective talking point. Chicago is local , police brutality is nationwide.

Blacks make up about 13% of the population yet commit about 52% of yearly homicides.

Of all the black murders NATIONWIDE, 89% of black homicides are by other blacks.

Just stating facts since you asked for more percentages. The thing you’re failing to realize is sitting for the anthem has no coo relation to cops. It’s pure disrespect for the BLACK, WHITE, HISPANIC, ASIAN, INDIAN, etc Americans who fight for your and mine freedom.

I don’t see why the race card has to get pulled in any and everything. I guess the blacks who disagree with Collin Kaepernick are racist too?

• Options
    charlottedawg85charlottedawg85 Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

@pgjackson said:

@charlottedawg85 said:

Simply making the point that he was willing to sit down and discuss his issue/point with the other side. Be heard and let the other side be heard. And come to a compromise

• Options

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:
    Just some quick stats
    Cop shootings in 2017:

2018:

So are there more black people or white people in this country? Give me percentages. Another Play from the Trump playbook....bring up Chicago in order to deflect. I can’t be killed by someone on the south side of Chicago,why, because I live in Georgia. But I can be killed or beaten in a routine stop by a cop in any state. Chicago is a poor and ineffective talking point. Chicago is local , police brutality is nationwide.

Again, you bring up Trump...who had nothing to do with this issue when it first started. All the stuff Kap was protesting started under Obama's watch. Why is nobody criticizing that guy?

• Options

@pgjackson said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:
    Just some quick stats
    Cop shootings in 2017:

2018:

Again, you bring up Trump...who had nothing to do with this issue when it first started. All the stuff Kap was protesting started under Obama's watch. Why is nobody criticizing that guy?

Okay Obama. Now what?

• Options

@CharlestowneDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@charlottedawg85 said:

...and liberals are the sensitive snowflakes?

Dude, that is the US Flag Code. That’s what you are supposed to do.

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Big Dawg, apparently you only see the negative side of America. I’m sorry. I served in the military many years with a number of people (black and white) who disagree with these protests against our flag, Anthem, and country. I guess we all have a right to protest in our great country.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

@pgjackson said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:
    Just some quick stats
    Cop shootings in 2017:

2018:

I made a pretty decent argument about why Trump back on the second page of this thread. Don't know if you saw it

• Options

@BigDawgEatin said:

@pgjackson said:

@charlottedawg85 said:

I guess hats are okay to keep on whlie holding a conversation? I’ll wait

So what? Jerry should have his hat off. What’s your point?

• Options

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:
    Just some quick stats
    Cop shootings in 2017:

2018:

Blacks make up about 13% of the population yet commit about 52% of yearly homicides.

Of all the black murders NATIONWIDE, 89% of black homicides are by other blacks.

Just stating facts since you asked for more percentages. The thing you’re failing to realize is sitting for the anthem has no coo relation to cops. It’s pure disrespect for the BLACK, WHITE, HISPANIC, ASIAN, INDIAN, etc Americans who fight for your and mine freedom.

I don’t see why the race card has to get pulled in any and everything. I guess the blacks who disagree with Collin Kaepernick are racist too?

Links and Citations? Also include social and economic factors. Please discuss the justice system as well. Young Padawan don’t throw out “facts” in a vacuum ,the entire picture must be presented. You might be too young or inexperienced for this discussion . It’s okay you might learn in due time until then keep on the grind sunshine .

• Options

@jay_kubzz said:
    Just some quick stats
    Cop shootings in 2017:

2018:

When adjusted for population:

According to Fatal Encounters, the database created by former Reno News & Review editor and journalism instructor Burghart (which tracks all deaths resulting from interactions with police), a total of 1,388 people were killed by police in 2015, 318 (23%) of them black, and 560 (40%) of them white. So roughly 23 percent of those killed by any police interaction in 2015 were black and just over 40 percent were white. According to those statistics (adjusted for racial demographics), black people had a 2.7 higher likelihood of being killed by police than whites.

The grim trend has carried over into 2016. Of the 1,034 people killed and tracked by Burghart’s Fatal Encounters database so far this year, 215 were black while 338 were white, **so thus far in 2016 black Americans have been three times more likely than white people to die in interactions with police. **

• Options
    jay_kubzzjay_kubzz Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Under Bill Clinton: highest % of blacks ever incarcerated.

Under Obama: highest % of blacks ever on welfare.

Under Trump: highest % of blacks ever in the work force.

Trump wasn’t a racist until he stated he was running for the Republican Party.

I guess Herschel walker, Yeezy, and mike Tyson are all racist as well.