Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Florence is now a catagory 4 hurricane and strengthening...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very off topic, but Prayers for those in it's path as it seems sure to cause massive damage both along the Carolina coast and with inland flooding. It was expected to be a Cat. 3 and it now seems possible it will be a cat. 5 before it lands. It's also expected to dump massive amounts of rain inlandas well. I well remember the worst natural disaster in NC history came from a tropical storm that stalled and dumped rain like this is expected to.

Comments

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

yep went thru Katrina prayers sent

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

@dawgnms said:

We were at Guntersville Lake near Huntsville AL. when Katrina moved over with 50mph winds, I played in my kayak on the lake, we had no idea of the damage till reports started coming in the next day.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

135 MPH winds sustained for over 3 hours......not much fun

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@dawgnms said:

We were at Guntersville Lake near Huntsville AL. when Catrina moved over with 50mph winds, I played in my kayak on the lake, we had no idea of the damage till reports started coming in the next day.

Seems it made it all the way up to almost Canada. She was a nasty one.

• bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My dad lives in the Wilmington, NC area, he’s getting out of Dodge Wednesday if it doesn’t change direction.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tua is now a Category 5 and due to reach Atlanta in December. Calling all Wolfpack, Calling all Wolfpack.

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Normally we would have been in Athens this weekend for the Parents Council Weekend, but my wife has a seminar presentation at James Madison University on Friday. My alma mater Ohio University plays her alma mater UVA Saturday so we decided to attend that game and we swapped out a trip for Middle Tenn State to come down for Tennessee.

Kind of bummed, because the last time Ohio played UVA was 1993, so I don't expect a return game anytime soon. At the 1993 game I sat in the end-zone on a blind date and my future wife was located on the 48 yard line with the season tickets she had for over 30 years. I think I made a good decision.

Hurricane Isabel hit Richmond really hard in 2003. We were without power for ten days. Hopefully the storm will keep moving and not saturate a region that has been saturated all year from rain.

@bigdawg2223 said:
    My dad lives in the Wilmington, NC area, he’s getting out of Dodge Wednesday if it doesn’t change direction.

Was your Dad in the area when Floyd came through in 1999 ?
    The flooding was the worst ever in that region. This one might be very similar.

• DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

My family farm is right up the Cape Fear just outside of Wilmington. We've got the corn in but the soybeans probably won't make it. The folks up there have been through many blows so I know they're ready for it. Coincidently was talking to a neighboring farmer just this past Spring and we both agreed that the area was due for a big one.

• superdawgsuperdawg Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:
    Tua is now a Category 5 and due to reach Atlanta in December. Calling all Wolfpack, Calling all Wolfpack.

This is in VERY bad taste, even for a bama troll...we get it, Tua is good, now go away..

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@superdawg said:

@MeR3htid said:

This is in VERY bad taste, even for a bama troll...we get it, Tua is good, now go away..

eh, it was kinda funny

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am in Columbia

They have closed all the schools and doing lane reversals starting tomorrow

I'll work from home the rest of the week

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    "With your hurricane update, I'm @WCDawg"

...It didn't stop !

@DawgBones said:
    My family farm is right up the Cape Fear just outside of Wilmington. We've got the corn in but the soybeans probably won't make it. The folks up there have been through many blows so I know they're ready for it. Coincidently was talking to a neighboring farmer just this past Spring and we both agreed that the area was due for a big one.

I hope everybody finds safe haven, the crops are important too, but next spring will bring new growth.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah. I hope everyone in its path is alright. The woman I’m currently talking to is originally from the Beaufort SC area and she said her family never leaves but are worried this time. My family has property on Fripp Island and my mom and aunts are trying to decide if they should pay someone to board up the windows on their places since no one is there. Hopefully the authorities are just being extra careful after previous bad hits and this will end up being a matter of safe than sorry.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

My son teaches in North Charleston, they have closed schools for the rest of the week.

@BamaDawg said:
    My son teaches in North Charleston, they have closed schools for the rest of the week.

That's smart.
    My advice for anybody in the area is to do their homework, choose the best route to safety and hit the road before gridlock sets in.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    Very off topic, ......

But posted in the General category. There IS an Off Topic category. Could use it.