Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Are racial slurs common on UGA’s campus?

levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Africa Buggs, the girl who turned in Sasser for acting a **** fool at the UT/UGA game, claims:

‘Buggs, who is an African-American, said she encounters racism on UGA’s campus “all the time.” She said it was not her goal to “ruin somebody’s life,”’

From Chip’s piece: https://www.dawgnation.com/football/uga-whistle-blowers-happy-to-see-adam-sasser-dismissed-from-georgia-baseball-team

I have limited experience with UGA’s campus since I graduated 20 years ago, like I suspect most of us do. But if you have quite a bit of experience on the campus, please post and state as much. And note if you’re a current student, that doesn’t necessarily mean people are going to pay more attention to what you have to say. I’m glad we’ve got some here. But some of you floating around are social justice warriors, which a lot of people don’t agree with.

And there’s also the “blacks call themselves that too!” argument. The last option in the poll is for you guys.

Are racial slurs common on UGA’s campus? 17 votes

Yes
17%
DGD28DobroMattInOzSteve_Zissou 3 votes
No
82%
CZCashvilleDawglevander12edDawg14jarred_buck3rdshiftbrentwilsonjay_kubzzWCDawgPharmDawg2054RobbieRob14allywRxDawgYaleDawg 14 votes
It depends on what you mean by racial slur
0%
No more than what blacks call themselves
0%

Comments

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    No

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    And take this **** down.

Why don’t you want people to know whether or not racial slurs are common on UGA’s campus?

No

@UnderDog68 said:

@levander said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    And take this **** down.

Why don’t you want people to know whether or not racial slurs are common on UGA’s campus?

Because it serves no purpose here other than to stir up the sh1t, maybe? I have no problems with how the University acted in this matter, but it's over with and done. Sasser is gone, and IMO, that's OK.

In the words of Dean Wormer, 'Fat, drunk and stu pid is no way to go thru life, son.'

Some people are capable of talking about social issues maturely. If you’re not, probably should just ignore the thread.

And if you even read the OP, this thread isn’t about how the university punished Sasser.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@levander said:
    Some people are capable of talking about social issues maturely. If you’re not, probably should just ignore the thread.

And if you even read the OP, this thread isn’t about how the university punished Sasser.

It's not? Funny...I thought he was booted because of a racial slur. Definitely within range of the subject matter, IMO. As far as talking about social issues goes, refer to the threads about athletes taking a knee during the National Anthem or the one about Kaepernick being Nike's new pitch man and you'll see that there's a lot of inmature responses.

And with that, I am off the soapbox.

edited October 2018
    No

@UnderDog68 said:

@levander said:

It's not? Funny...I thought he was booted because of a racial slur. Definitely within range of the subject matter, IMO. As far as talking about social issues goes, refer to the threads about athletes taking a knee during the National Anthem or the one about Kaepernick being Nike's new pitch man and you'll see that there's a lot of inmature responses.

You could tie in Sasser being dismissed into a hundred different topics if you’re going to interpret it broadly like that. After all, he was at a football game, and this is a football forum, right?

And I find it highly ironic you’re complaining about people acting immaturely while pissing and moaning that people are discussing things on a discussion board that you don’t want them to discuss.

@levander said:
    You could tie in Sasser being dismissed into a hundred different topics if you’re going to interpret it broadly like that. After all, he was at a football game, and this is a football forum, right?

And I find it highly ironic you’re complaining about people acting immaturely while pissing and moaning that people ae discussing things on a discussion board that you don’t want them to discuss.

You're the one that brought up mature responses, hoss....And the one who started the sh1t thread, which was started to stir up the sh1t. And if you will back-track a bit, you'll see that others were saying the thread needed to be taken down, not me. Don't get so defensive.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    No

Don't be such a Polack, our students are better than that for the most part.
    Relax, I'm joking...don't be such _____s !

No

@UnderDog68 said:

@levander said:

And I find it highly ironic you’re complaining about people acting immaturely while pissing and moaning that people ae discussing things on a discussion board that you don’t want them to discuss.

You're the one that brought up mature responses, hoss....And the one who started the sh1t thread, which was started to stir up the sh1t. And if you will back-track a bit, you'll see that others were saying the thread needed to be taken down, not me. Don't get so defensive.

Okay, bypassing the profanity filter with a word that if you’re going to have a profanity filter should be filtered... Doesn’t sound like you’re so against immaturity.

And there are lots of people here I disagree with. I probably wouldn’t even be here if there weren’t. Let them act like they’re the mods of this forum all they want. If the people who are the mods don’t want this thread, they can take it down. I’ve got no problem with that.

What I’m wondering if it’s the social justice warrior comment in the OP that has a few people stirred up. Seems like something a SJW warrior would do.

edited October 2018

If you say so. My opinion is that a thread like this really has no purpose on here. You're response is that it does, because it happened at a football game. A lot of things happen at football games that the university isn't proud of, I would imagine.

Just last year, a fake Uber driver raped a coed at a football game. A few years ago, people were trashing the North Campus during football games. No threads about all that, because they also have no real purpose on a football forum.

If you really want to see controversial stances on this issue, visit SECRant. There's a 10-page thread on this very subject over there right now. And there's a whole lot more viciousness to it than what I've posted here. Knock yourself out.

No

@UnderDog68 You’re not even reading what you’re responding to. I didn’t say it’s relevant to this forum because it was at a football game, I was countering your comment in this thread about Sasser. There is an off-topic category in this forum. Which this thread is clearly marked under. Why don’t you let the mods of this forum run this forum however they want to rather than insist you know better?

And this isn’t SEC Rant. I want to see what this forum has to say about it. If this forum can’t handle discussing it for a little while, that’s going to be a disappointment, but still interesting.

So far I’m chalking the malcontents up on this thread as we’ve got a few SJW’s here. Maybe I’m wrong. We’ll see later.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    No

I actually applaud you trying have a civilized discussion about this. There are WAY to many people that say "if you don't admit all black people face vast racism every single day than you can "go play in traffic" ". I also noticed how the offending woman in this affair said she gets called racial slurs every day on campus. And if that was the case, why didn't she get them tossed out of school also? I went to UGA and I didn't see anything even remotely like that. Nor do I like someone trying to portray my school in that light. It seems to me that most cries of racism these days do not come from a place of oppression, they come from a place of greed. So much crying wolf that I pretty much stopped paying attention to a lot of it.

I realize this is a very sensitive issue for a lot of people. But we have been overreacting to these kinds of stories for far to long. It's past time people start standing up. I don't do this to be contrary. I do this because I can see the big picture. I can see just how destructive this constant screaming of racism is to society. The bar just keeps getting set lower so people can keep using racism to gain a leg up in life. That's not right and it will backfire. In a free world there will be jerks. It doesn't mean systemic racism every time something doesn't go your way.

No

And if there are people who hear a lot of racial slurs on campus, I am interested in hearing about that. I can’t say I’ll believe you right up front because my bias is towards the opposite. But if that’s you’re experience, you chip away at people a little every day and eventually you change minds.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    No

@levander said:
    And if there are people who hear a lot of racial slurs on campus, I am interested in hearing about that. I can’t say I’ll believe you right up front because my bias is towards the opposite. But if that’s you’re experience, you chip away at people a little every day and eventually you change minds.

Yes, let’s paint UGA in a bad light. Sounds like a great idea there UGA grad.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ME ............... 10 FOOT POLE

edited October 2018
    No

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@levander said:

Yes, let’s paint UGA in a bad light. Sounds like a great idea there UGA grad.

Are you here to learn what people think or would your rather them hide what they believe?

To me it sounds like a worse light for UGA if people aren’t comfortable discussing a grievance they may have.

• umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think there's too many actual current students on this forum, so I'm not sure how many accurate opinions there will be on here.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Everybody gets a participation ribbon.

• RailroadDawgRailroadDawg Posts: 15 ✭✭ Sophomore

Wow. Cannot believe this thread was actually posted. Just wow.