Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Favorite Sides

mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My personal forte is grilling/smoking meats and I always struggle to come up with good sides for my tailgates and game-day parties. Any suggestions on your favorite things to accompany your grilled masterpieces?

Comments

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

Cold Beer and Moonshine

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Potato salad
    Baked beans

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Grilled Asparagus and potatoes

• BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

Well, I have a lot of ideas, but trying to stick to something easy for tailgating and grilling. Corn on the cob is classic...I don’t like to eat things heated next to aluminum foil, so shuck, clean, and then take some soft butter and cover pretty good. Now, wrap each ear individually in parchment paper (publix) and then aluminum foil. Pack in cooler to grill and enjoy. Take the stickers separately so you can eat it without a roll of paper towels. We love to just grill veggies in marinade. We’ve done bell peppers, eggplant, squash, Vidalias, campari tomatoes whole (they need less time or they melt on you), and mushrooms. We do skewers out of those. Meat obviously helps the flavor is you put some chunks on it. Button mushrooms by themselves are great. Wash ahead and throw on the grill with a little marinade of your choice. We also grill asparagus and it does great. Usually a little olive oil on it with salt and pepper. You can top the mushrooms or asparagus with a little cheese if you want. It works. Take a pineapple. Skin and slice at the game. Grill it with a little bit of honey and cinamon marinade. We have even tried the pineapple with just cheese on it at the end, makes sort of a hawaiian pizza effect. I have wondered what ham and cheese might do for grilled pineapple. You could also be lazy and use canned slices rather than all the work. Happy tailgating!

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgnms said:
    Cold Beer and Moonshine

I prefer tea with my shine.

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

Hey, one more great tip: if you’ve never heard of Honey Crisp apples, do yourself a favor and go buy some. One Honey Crisp and you won’t want a Red Delicious ever again. Wash and take to the game. You could slice them and dip them in caramel or powdered sugar. They are great by themselves. I’d bet a grilling Jedi could put slices with cinamon on the grill and produce a masterpiece, but I haven’t tried that.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

@WCDawg said:

@dawgnms said:
    Cold Beer and Moonshine

I prefer tea with my shine.

Beer while cooking and tasting Shine while eating and after

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Smoked baked beans
    Potato salad
    Finely chopped Cole slaw
    Mac N cheese
    Greens
    Beer

• allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Grilled peaches and pineapples are delish! I’ve seen a good recipe by Bobby Flay on the Food Network app. Any grilled veggie is good too!

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

Starch:
    Potatoes and onions as I described elsewhere earlier (shortened redux below)
    Baked potatoe

Veggie-veggie:
    grilled eggplant (can substitute for starch)
    wilted bok choy (baby bok choy preferred)/spinach, green beans
    steamed or grilled asparagus - no recipe except drizzle on oil to keep color; serve with lemon
    potato salad - no recipe but I know what I like

Potatoes and onions
    Slice potatoes (skin on) and onions
    drizzle with olive oil
    sprinkle with seasoning salt (Cavender's Greek)
    sprinkle oregano
    optional spinkle with Italian herbs
    toss and microwave covered or in covered pot on grill (steam helps) until onions and potatoes are done
    (or in tin foil on coals if roughing it - can substitute butter for EVOO)

Baked potatoe
    clean and 'dry' potato
    coat potato with sesame oil
    cook per normal (grilled and finish with microwave is one way)

grilled eggplant
    slice eggplant length-wise
    sprinkle salt on both sides of each slice
    wait for juice to form then a while after
    squeeze gently (salt gets rid of bitterness)
    coat with olive oil
    cook over grill (with/without griddle)

wilted bok choy
    clean/rinse bok choy
    separate leaves (and rinse)
    drain
    place in coverable pan
    add bit of water to pan
    drizzle sesame oil onto bok choy
    add chopped/sliced/chunked garlic
    Cook over heat covered until leaves are soft/semi-soft
    (same method for spinach or green beans except use olive oil)
    serve with lemon juice at table

Bonus: Tzatziki Sauce (Sigh-ZEE-kee)

This is a yogurt - cucumber - dill - garlic sauce

use it on any veggie or potatoes (any of the above), but also fried fish (alternative to tarter sauce) and even steak (as a dipping sauce)
    Can buy it in tubs at most stores, big box, at least. Can throw that in your cooler
    Below is recipe that looks reasonable, if you prefer to make your own. (Draining is important)

https://natashaskitchen.com/tzatziki-sauce-recipe/