Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Best hot dog in Athens? Best in Atlanta?

2»

Comments

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In Roswell, the best place to get a Hot Dog is Slope's BBQ. The original people own the one in Roswell. Their are one or two franchises of the store now after they've been running it for some 25 years. I have no idea how the franchisees fair.

Their hot dog is much like the Varsity's. But higher quality ingredients. Like the meat in the hot dog actually tastes like real meat and not just baloney. And the chili doesn't taste like it might have out of a can.

I do like Varsity hot dogs. But to me they're just something fun and traditional. They're not really a culinary treat or anything, to me anyway.

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:
    In Roswell, the best place to get a Hot Dog is Slope's BBQ. The original people own the one in Roswell. Their are one or two franchises of the store now after they've been running it for some 25 years. I have no idea how the franchisees fair.

Their hot dog is much like the Varsity's. But higher quality ingredients. Like the meat in the hot dog actually tastes like real meat and not just baloney. And the chili doesn't taste like it might have out of a can.

I do like Varsity hot dogs. But to me they're just something fun and traditional. They're not really a culinary treat or anything, to me anyway.

That is what I'm after. Culinary treats in the form of the great hotdog! ThanksLev.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sauce, the best way I've found to make hot dogs at home is to steam them in beer. E.g., but maybe an inch of beer in a bottom of a pot, throw whatever hot dogs franks or sausages you got in, bring the beer to a simmer, throw the lid on the pot and go watch TV for however long you want to. Just make sure you don't watch TV so long the beer evaporates and the hot dog becomes scorched to the bottom of the pot (and yes, I speak from experience here). But when you're done watching TV, the hot dog is done. Time to put it in a bun and whatever toppings you want.

I find steaming the hot dog in beer adds that extra dimension of flavor to the hot dog that just puts it over the top.

As for toppings, if you like hot relish, the only brand I've found that I like is Mr. Wickles or Mr. Whicker's (I don't remember now). They sell it at Publix. They don't carry it at Kroger. It's comes in a medium sized pickles jar and is like just a bunch of diced up orange, yellow, and red bits of vegeatables in the jar with some kind of liquid (like a brine liquid or something).

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander I use that same technique with sausages! I often make my own relish. I am into fermenting and pickling and always experimenting. One thing I will never like is sweet relish. Just doesn't do it for me. I like a spicy relish like the one in LaGrange, Ga at Charlie Joseph's. I also make my own hot sauces and am looking to market one soon that I made just for hotdogs. My girlfriend is from Cincinnati and I have fallen in love with Cincinnati chili and their cheese coneys.