Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National hotdog day of the week.

DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My top 5 favorite hotdogs not made at home.
1. Hap's Salisbury, NC
2. Rocky's Brevard, NC
3. Dixie Chili Newport (Greater Cincinnati Area, OH)
4. Charlie Josephs LaGrange, GA
5. Celebrities Asheville, NC.

Whatcha got? This holiday deserves respect and I plan on giving it. Where are your top 5 that should be honored on this holiest day?

Comments

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawgsauce said:
    My top 5 favorite hotdogs not made at home.
    1. Hap's Salisbury, NC
    2. Rocky's Brevard, NC
    3. Dixie Chili Newport (Greater Cincinnati Area, OH)
    4. Charlie Josephs LaGrange, GA
    5. Celebrities Asheville, NC.

Whatcha got? This holiday deserves respect and I plan on giving it. Where are your top 5 that should be honored on this holiest day?

Looks like hot dogs are another area in which the South excels. Chili Dogs are and have always been one of my favorites.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Obligatory Varsity reference though I’m not sure how great their chili dawg is. I had a frosted orange the other day and it still hits the spot. On the subject: is chili with beans EVER acceptable on a hot dog? I’d say no and I don’t really like beans in chili period but especially not as a condiment to something else. There was a Chicago style dog place near where I was staying one time and they had beans..not sure if that’s a Chicago thing or just them.

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dinglewood Pharmacy, Columbus, GA.

Specifically the scrambled chili dog.
    Not sure if that place is still around though. It’s been about 15 years since I’ve had one.

@scooterdawg , I’m with you, no beans on chili dogs, ever.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Two foot Chili-Cheese, Casey's Corner

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Crif dogs in nyc is the bomb if you ever visit

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@scooterdawg said:
    Obligatory Varsity reference though I’m not sure how great their chili dawg is. I had a frosted orange the other day and it still hits the spot. On the subject: is chili with beans EVER acceptable on a hot dog? I’d say no and I don’t really like beans in chili period but especially not as a condiment to something else. There was a Chicago style dog place near where I was staying one time and they had beans..not sure if that’s a Chicago thing or just them.

I am gathering together intel for a book on the subject in NC, and beans have their place. You are either for or against, but I've had some amazing dogs with bean chili in the past.

@mattmd2 said:
    Dinglewood Pharmacy, Columbus, GA.

Specifically the scrambled chili dog.
    Not sure if that place is still around though. It’s been about 15 years since I’ve had one.

@scooterdawg , I’m with you, no beans on chili dogs, ever.

It is still around. Took my first trip there as a middle schooler back in the 80s. Been meaning to get back. Thanks for posting this!

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

Two foot Chili-Cheese, Casey's Corner

I like the length, but the bun and dog are too big around on this guy. Bigger isn't better. That being said, a great hotdog being longer is great!

• ChicagoDawgChicagoDawg Posts: 438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

Best Hot Dog on the planet is at Poochie's in Skokie, IL. Second best in SuperDog on Milwaukee Avenue in Chicago.

@ChicagoDawg said:
    Best Hot Dog on the planet is at Poochie's in Skokie, IL. Second best in SuperDog on Milwaukee Avenue in Chicago.

I'll put them on my to do list. I do love a good Chicago dog Chicago Dawg.