Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Gus Malzahn cooking up a QB game plan.

HotDawgsAndMustardHotDawgsAndMustard Posts: 153 ✭✭✭ Junior

Looks like Auburn named stidham as their starter.

What Jarrett Stidham needs to improve before Auburn football’s season opener. Read more at seccountry.com:
https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-jarrett-stidham-gus-malzahn-starting-quarterback?exclude_view=true

Not completely positive this is true though... Might be some miss direction. As it looks like Auburn has subbed in Alton Brown as their head coach leading into the season

Comments

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Malzahn was smart and was cooking up a QB game plan, he would be smart enough to keep Sean White in. Stidham played for Baylor and started maybe 3 games for them while over there. He won't be able to keep up with the SEC pace compared to the Big 12 pace. Don't buy into the Stidham hype!

• HotDawgsAndMustardHotDawgsAndMustard Posts: 153 ✭✭✭ Junior

@DawgsofWar said:
    If Malzahn was smart and was cooking up a QB game plan, he would be smart enough to keep Sean White in. Stidham played for Baylor and started maybe 3 games for them while over there. He won't be able to keep up with the SEC pace compared to the Big 12 pace. Don't buy into the Stidham hype!

I don't buy the stidham hype at all. I don't think Gus is smart either. I mainly wanted the opportunity to point out how ridiculous Malzahn looks in that hat and awful shirt. Gus reminded me of a less professional alton brown.

@HotDawgsAndMustard said:

@DawgsofWar said:

I don't buy the stidham hype at all. I don't think Gus is smart either. I mainly wanted the opportunity to point out how ridiculous Malzahn looks in that hat and awful shirt. Gus reminded me of a less professional alton brown.

He actually does look like a less professional Alton Brown lol. He's not smart with this change.

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2017

One of the more thought out articles on Stidham. Provides reason to be cautious about the hype:
    https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/stidham-expectations-tempering-2017/

Key Stats: Stidham's competition in the 3 games he started:
    Kansas State: 120th vs. the pass, 93rd scoring defense
    Oklahoma: 34th vs. the pass, 28th scoring defense
    Oklahoma State: 94th vs. the pass, 88th scoring defense

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For all the talk about UGA "ALWAYS being SO TALENTED" why is there such little criticism of Malzahn? Auburn had a more talented team (according to 247 player ratings) spread more evenly (much better OL), loses to the Dawgs, ends up 8-5 after losing 3 of their last 4 (and barely beating Vandy), yet Athlon names Gus the fourth best coach in the SEC and Kirby no. 12. Every AU fan I know (living in east Alabama that's quite a lot) is "All in on the Gus Bus." What gives?

@JoelSidneyKelly said:
    For all the talk about UGA "ALWAYS being SO TALENTED" why is there such little criticism of Malzahn? Auburn had a more talented team (according to 247 player ratings) spread more evenly (much better OL), loses to the Dawgs, ends up 8-5 after losing 3 of their last 4 (and barely beating Vandy), yet Athlon names Gus the fourth best coach in the SEC and Kirby no. 12. Every AU fan I know (living in east Alabama that's quite a lot) is "All in on the Gus Bus." What gives?

I'm probably assuming he's just ranked higher than KS cause he's been at Auburn longer than KS has been at Georgia and the fact that Malzahn did lead Auburn to the BCS CG in 2014.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgsofWar said:

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

I'm probably assuming he's just ranked higher than KS cause he's been at Auburn longer than KS has been at Georgia and the fact that Malzahn did lead Auburn to the BCS CG in 2014.

That was their "one in a hundred" year of good luck.

@DawgsofWar said:

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

May also want to note that Gus was in his first year as HC and inherited the team that went to that BCS CG in 2014. Also mind you, that was the year of both the "tip six" against Georgia and the "kick six" against Bama. Incredible luck, but nothing that really demonstrates amazing coaching if you ask me.

@mattmd2 said:

@DawgsofWar said:

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

May also want to note that Gus was in his first year as HC and inherited the team that went to that BCS CG in 2014. Also mind you, that was the year of both the "tip six" against Georgia and the "kick six" against Bama. Incredible luck, but nothing that really demonstrates amazing coaching if you ask me.

Probably should have put an asterisk by "BCS CG in 2014" haha.

@DawgsofWar said:

BTW... didn't mean to take away from your point. You are absolutely correct. That's the reason why he's ranked so high. It's people doing these rankings that look at stats on paper, and never consider things in their true context. Gus coached in a NC game... he must be a great coach. At least better than those who haven't made it there yet.

@mattmd2 said:

@DawgsofWar said:

BTW... didn't mean to take away from your point. You are absolutely correct. That's the reason why he's ranked so high. It's people doing these rankings that look at stats on paper, and never consider things in their true context. Gus coached in a NC game... he must be a great coach. At least better than those who haven't made it there yet.

All good, my friend! I'm sure KS would jump that list as well if he coached a NC game.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2017

@DawgsofWar said:

All good, my friend! I'm sure KS would jump that list as well if he coached a NC game.

I do believe that. IF (Big if) UGA win SECCG and go to the playoffs Athlon will name him no. 2 next year (per contract, Saban will still be no.1 for five years, posthumous).

• ladawgladawg Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Malzahn is a good coach... richt was a good coach.. they had big wins and 11 win seasons to back it up.. malzahn was also off coordinator on natty team.. Kirby has yet to prove, and he made some obvious mistakes last year with time mgmt, substitutions, etc.. also, malzahn did put the guy back there and set up a return for kick six.. that is coaching.. the guy can coach when he has a qb.. which all good teams need.. which is why Fields is so important.. and stidham is.. he won't live up to the hype, but he will be good w that line and those receivers..all that being said I'm a 100% in on Kirby, because he's a great recruiter, great defensive mind, and I think Kirby saw last year as a mulligan, and decided to let all those freshman play in prep for this year.. he knew there was no way we'd win the east w those holes, and youth.. we will see within the next 6 weeks where Kirby really will rank.. I suspect by 2020 it will be 2, behind his mentor .. and with talent in state of Georgia and fla.. Kirby could really bring titles to uga.. this year will say a lot, and the 18' season will probably define him.. either he's the future or mcgarity pooped the bed again

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

not speaking to last year exclusively I would say the answer is Aurburn has two national title game appearances and one win. I know one appearance, and the loss, was under Gus and it took two all time plays to get there. But winning one buys the program some credibility and making it there buys the coach some credibility

How diff would Richt's tenure be remembered if he made it in 2012 but lost to ND? I think substantially different

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@DawgsofWar said:

I do believe that. IF (Big if) UGA win SECCG and go to the playoffs Athlon will name him no. 2 next year (per contract, Saban will still be no.1 for five years, posthumous).

heck, I think if he makes the seccg this year he would jump to #3 in conference and possibly #2