Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Special Thoughts on Marine Corps Birthday.

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

November 10, 1775. Marine Corps was formed. Special thoughts go out to our brothers and sisters of the Corps on their special day. Love y'all!!

Comments

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Happy birthday from a grateful civilian. Thank you for your service!

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Polynikes said:
    USMC - Best days of my life.

Hat off to you Polynikes. Thanks for your service.

• BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Happy Birthday from an old squid. Oooh Raah!

• Apaul404Apaul404 Posts: 61 ✭✭ Sophomore

Semper Fi brother, happy birthday.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Really enjoyed my days in the Marines. Seems like it was just yesterday, & at the same time? 1000 years ago too.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thank you all for your service

@CZCashvilleDawg said:
    Thank you all for your service

Ditto. Much appreciated.

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

From an Air Force vet, thanks for all you guys do. I used to volunteer on the Flight line in Germany and we would transfer the combat casualties from the MEDEVAC flights to the Ambulances going to the hospital here. We also loaded the stablized patients who were being flown from Germany to the states. It was a very sobering experience and puts a lot of things into proper perspective. We complain a lot in the Air Force but life is pretty easy for us. You guys are true warriors and I am honored to have served beside you

• tymoon31tymoon31 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DuckDawg25 said:
    Do yall still eat crayons??

Uh, yes. Why is this a question?

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A salute to all Jarheads, and especially my Brother Rick, he has been in the fraternity since 1974.

@deutcshland_dawg said:
    From an Air Force vet, thanks for all you guys do. I used to volunteer on the Flight line in Germany and we would transfer the combat casualties from the MEDEVAC flights to the Ambulances going to the hospital here. We also loaded the stablized patients who were being flown from Germany to the states. It was a very sobering experience and puts a lot of things into proper perspective. We complain a lot in the Air Force but life is pretty easy for us. You guys are true warriors and I am honored to have served beside you

I'm Air Force, I have a brother who spent 6 years in The Marines, the rest of my family has served in either The Army or Navy, including my Dad who served in Patton's 3rd Army from Le Harve France to the Czech border.

@WCDawg said:

@deutcshland_dawg said:

I'm Air Force, I have a brother who spent 6 years in The Marines, the rest of my family has served in either The Army or Navy, including my Dad who served in Patton's 3rd Army from Le Harve France to the Czech border.

I'll bet your pops had some great stories to tell.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg I spent 11 years in the Marine Corps. I remember the generally good natured joke(s) that we took from the other services, including(but not limited to):
    that we all ate crayons regularly starting at an early age, rode on the shortest of short buses to school as kids, & each & every single one of us were all a bunch of “window lickers” too! Hahahahaha!!!

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@deutcshland_dawg said:

He passed 11 years ago, but he only talked about the people and general situations, never about his role in battles, though he was in some big ones, including The Bulge. I know he did a lot of recon with a friend of his from Puerto Rico, they also boxed, the friend was a boxer before the war. My brother has a detailed map of my father's entire route from le Havre to The Czech border. It shows every battle and skirmish he participated in.

@christopherules said:
    @WCDawg I spent 11 years in the Marine Corps. I remember the generally good natured joke(s) that we took from the other services, including(but not limited to):
    that we all ate crayons regularly starting at an early age, rode on the shortest of short buses to school as kids, & each & every single one of us were all a bunch of “window lickers” too! Hahahahaha!!!

My brother served for 2 years on a naval base in a Marine missile battalion, the competition got heated while on maneuvers.

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@deutcshland_dawg said:

He passed 11 years ago, but he only talked about the people and general situations, never about his role in battles, though he was in some big ones, including The Bulge. I know he did a lot of recon with a friend of his from Puerto Rico, they also boxed, the friend was a boxer before the war. My brother has a detailed map of my father's entire route from le Havre to The Czech border. It shows every battle and skirmish he participated in.

My pops was a P-51 pilot and had 3 kills before he got shot down over Germany. Spent 14 months as a POW. He also didn’t talk much about his experiences at all.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A lifelong friend and I found out that we were being re-classified from student deferment to 1-A. In March of 1968, we decided to volunteer for the draft after the draft board lady told us we would at least go through basic training together. When we got to the reception center in Jacksonville, we were separated because he had previously taken his physical. When I saw him a few hours later I found out he had been drafted into the Marines. He left that night for Paris Island, me to Fort Benning. We both were sent to Vietnam in the fall of 1968 and were both in northern I Corps. I was in some combat and he was in a lot, but we both made it out okay. He died earlier this year (2018) most likely from exposure to Agent Orange.
    He was a **** good Marine.

@AndersonDawg said:
    A lifelong friend and I found out that we were being re-classified from student deferment to 1-A. In March of 1968, we decided to volunteer for the draft after the draft board lady told us we would at least go through basic training together. When we got to the reception center in Jacksonville, we were separated because he had previously taken his physical. When I saw him a few hours later I found out he had been drafted into the Marines. He left that night for Paris Island, me to Fort Benning. We both were sent to Vietnam in the fall of 1968 and were both in northern I Corps. I was in some combat and he was in a lot, but we both made it out okay. He died earlier this year (2018) most likely from exposure to Agent Orange.
    He was a **** good Marine.

Sorry to hear about your friend.