Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Books

scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So @JRT812 bro suggested a book thread. I’m also an avid reader so I’m down. What are y’all reading now or have read recently that you’d recommend? I read pretty much all genres so my recs are going to be all over the place. Here’s a few from me to get started:

Not recent but I’m relistening to The Last Days of Frankie Machine by Don Winslow. One of my favorite popular authors. I’ve heard him compared to Elmore Leonard but I prefer Winslow. This one is about a retired mobster in San Diego who has the past catch up to him. His best book is called The Power of the Dog, a fictionalization of the start of the cartels and the drug war. Like Narcos, Sicario, and Traffic combined with better writing and characters. Has a great sequel too.

For college football, it’s years old now(2014) but I highly recommend The Program by Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyan. It’s got some amazing inside access. Mike Leach, The SEC, BYU and their honor code, and all sorts of other stuff. The Leach stuff alone on how the TT stuff went down and how he ended up at Wash St is worth the price.

In a less football based but still interesting vein there’s Missoula by Jon Krakauer from a few years back. It details the rape scandal that hit the University of Montana’s football team. I like the guys writing, especially Into Thin Air, so I was gonna try this one anyway but it’s pretty astounding the level of crap that went on. May not be your thing if you think “metoo” is a conspiracy or like to blame the victim but if you can listen to what these girls and their families were put through in a small football mad town, and not think it was horrible then I truly hope you don’t have daughters.

One last purely enjoyable one for now: The Girl With All the Gifts by MR Carey. It’s an English zombie tale along the lines of 28 days later but much deeper. An outbreak of “zombie like” plague hits the world and the British Isles. Common story but the backstory I found interesting. It’s caused by a corticeps fungus, a real life type of fungus of which several varieties actually take over an insect or tiny creature’s brain and directs them to either climb high or jump in water so it can explode out of their body and spread it’s spores. The characters are also interesting in that some children were only partially effected so they are confined in a prison disguised as a school to be studied for a cure. Very entertaining IMO.

I’ll try to add some more later and hope to see some recs from others. I’m always looking for new ones. Also is anyone else an Audible/audiobook fan like me for drives/listening while doing other stuff?

Comments

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@benjaminwgregg said:
    I'm reading some steinbeck rn. Cannery row

That’s one of his I haven’t read actually. Grapes of Wrath wasn’t really my bag but I like East of Eden and of Mice and Men a lot. Let us know how ya like it.

• HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just finished "The Name of the Wind" and its sequel "The Wise Man's Fear"....both were excellent for anyone who enjoys fantasy.

@HumbleYourself said:
    Just finished "The Name of the Wind" and its sequel "The Wise Man's Fear"....both were excellent for anyone who enjoys fantasy.

Two of my favorite fantasy books. A girl I was dating some years back got me into Rothfuss and Martin as I had a bad opinion of fantasy. I loved both but unfortunately they are the two WORST examples of writers not being able to finish a series to the point of pissing off their fans lol. George is going on a decade or more since his last book and Rothfuss isn’t far behind. Both have also put out other books in the meantime making it even more annoying. And both get salty when fans get on them.

If you like Fantasy I recommend the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown. Not the typical medieval fantasy as it’s set in a future universe where lots of planets are colonized, but also not just a Star Trek/Star Wars rip-off or soap opera set in space and most of the action isn’t in space.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great football reads by Jim Dent

1. Junction Boys
    2. Twelve Mighty Orphans

Both are true and both are excellent

@christopherules said:
    @scooterdawg I am a pretty HUGE Tom Clancy fan. I must say that I really do love the Public Library system FREE iPhone, (and ANDROID too) APP(s) and it is called "Overdrive".... as I simply do not have the kind of time that I would like to have, and leisurely turn pages anymore like I did in my younger days? Besides that, I have to use "readers" these days also, and they are a pain! I also enjoy that most public libraries use this free program for their respective "E-libraries" and that is where I have found FREE AUDIO-BOOKS to check out for periods of either 14 days, or sometimes 21 days at a time. I simply download the entire book into my iPhone, and it's done. When the audio-book is due? There are no late fees either! I am currently listening to "Without Remorse" by Tom Clancy.

I’m a Clancy fan from way back. I was reading Red Storm Rising, which is slightly shorter than the Bible, when I was probably 12 lol. I even liked some of the ones he did with other authors before he died. Unlike the crap that James Patterson will slap his name on, the late Clancy books still felt like he had input and had actually picked the right guys to help him write.

Good call on the library. I looked into it before but I was in a rural county in the mountains so no such luck on audiobooks but now that I’m back in Fulton I need to look into it again.

• SniperdawgSniperdawg Posts: 39 ✭✭✭ Junior

I read a variety of things. I teach middle school and have read a number of young adult books, which often are some of the better books I have read.

Unwind by Neil Schusterman was a very different book. It is a dystopian book that takes place after a second civil war that took place over abortion. The new law states that a child cannot be touched from conception, but parents can choose to have their children harvested from the ages of 13 - 17. The book focuses on 3 teens who are scheduled to be unwound, and not the actual unwinding process.

11/22/63 by Stephen King was excellent. A little long, but great none the less.

@Sniperdawg said:
    I read a variety of things. I teach middle school and have read a number of young adult books, which often are some of the better books I have read.

Unwind by Neil Schusterman was a very different book. It is a dystopian book that takes place after a second civil war that took place over abortion. The new law states that a child cannot be touched from conception, but parents can choose to have their children harvested from the ages of 13 - 17. The book focuses on 3 teens who are scheduled to be unwound, and not the actual unwinding process.

Loved 11/22/63. I’m an unabashed King fan but I think that’s one of his most people can get into. I’m a dystopian/post apocalyptic fan so I’ll check out the other one.
    @texdawg I’ve heard of the junction boys but never read it. I’ll have to look into it. Thanks!

@scooterdawg said:

@Sniperdawg said:

Loved 11/22/63. I’m an unabashed King fan but I think that’s one of his most people can get into. I’m a dystopian/post apocalyptic fan so I’ll check out the other one.
    @texdawg I’ve heard of the junction boys but never read it. I’ll have to look into it. Thanks!

Junction boys is great. It's about Bear Bryant's first Texas A&M team. He took them to fall camp in Junction, Texas in August. Junction is a southwest Texas town and it's incredibly hot. Unbelievable what he put those boys through.

Twelve Mighty Orphans is probably even better.

• allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@texdawg wasn’t there a made for TV movie a few years back made from the book? Haven’t read the book but the movie was good. I’m a history nerd, so I just finished up The Washingtons by Flora Fraser. About to start Never Caught by Erica Dunbar. In fiction I’d recommend anything written by Louis L’Amour. The Last of the Breed is my favorite!

@allyw said:
    @texdawg wasn’t there a made for TV movie a few years back made from the book? Haven’t read the book but the movie was good. I’m a history nerd, so I just finished up The Washingtons by Flora Fraser. About to start Never Caught by Erica Dunbar. In fiction I’d recommend anything written by Louis L’Amour. The Last of the Breed is my favorite!

I think it was an espn produced movie @allyw.

@allyw said:

Yes. ESPN made the Junction Boys movie. I believe Tom Berringer played Bear Bryant. Good movie.

As a history nerd you would enjoy Twelve Mighty Orphans. I'm sure I relate to it more than most of you because it deals with Texas High School football in the 30's. But it still is a great read.

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Things They Carried - written by Tim O'Brien, a Vietnam vet, to try and explain the horrors he witnessed

A Brave New World- future dystopia under the facade of a utopia

Kite Runner - about an Afghan boy growing up in the 70's and 80's before fleeing to America during the Soviet invasion

Slaughterhouse-five or anything written by Vonnegut

@YaleDawg said:
    The Things They Carried - written by Tim O'Brien, a Vietnam vet, to try and explain the horrors he witnessed

A Brave New World- future dystopia under the facade of a utopia

Kite Runner - about an Afghan boy growing up in the 70's and 80's before fleeing to America during the Soviet invasion

Slaughterhouse-five or anything written by Vonnegut

Good choices! I enjoyed the Vietnam one: I was on a war kick at the time I guess. A fictional Vietnam book that I enjoyed at around the same time was Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes. Great war story.
    I’ve never gotten around to reading Huxley but I love Slaughterhouse. I know I’ve read the Kite Runner but I honestly don’t remember a ton about it. May be worth a reread.

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019