Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

UF @ UGA

ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

First time I've seen them play, ok. Only watched a couple minutes so far.

Eye test after only a couple of minutes:

1) looks like we can rebound

2) we look long and that has always helped in basketball

3) has anyone on the team ever played basketball before?...

Comments

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dawgs are not good

• ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We look athletic but it's like we are playing with football/ baseball extras. IDK

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thing I don't get is that kids could play defense under fox. How did they completely forget how to d up in less than a year. Still cant play offense.

• GeorgiaRed8ty6GeorgiaRed8ty6 Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

Never was a big fan of basketball but I prefer college than nba.. but since I’m getting into it a little bit I thought i’d get behind UGA being that I’m a DAWG fan in football..
    anyways from what I see there’s a few pieces of the puzzle missing to make us a complete team.. start out pretty good but don’t finish.. (nearly beating ranked Arizona St and it slips my mind of the other loss we blew a lead to) I’m interested to see a possible turn around under coach Crean...

• superdawgsuperdawg Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MIghtydawg said:
    Thing I don't get is that kids could play defense under fox. How did they completely forget how to d up in less than a year. Still cant play offense.

They didn't play good D under Fox, they just played slow down offense and shortened the game...we will be much better under Crean EVENTUALLY , but the transition will be painful

• GeorgiaRed8ty6GeorgiaRed8ty6 Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

One more thing.. I’m kinda bummed that cbs is rather showing a inauguration ceremony of some governor rather than the game.. 1st few games on channels I don’t even have.. now this #smh lol

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Crean's a good coach and imo will raise the standards for UGA basketball. But not this year. Really need good guard play in his offense (especially point guard.) Doesn't have the pieces right now.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Crean definitely has his work cut out ... going to take some time.

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@superdawg said:

@MIghtydawg said:

They didn't play good D under Fox, they just played slow down offense and shortened the game...we will be much better under Crean EVENTUALLY , but the transition will be painful

UGA was 61 in defensive efficiency last year. Currently 91 this season.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

@MacDawg15 said:
    Crean's a good coach and imo will raise the standards for UGA basketball. But not this year. Really need good guard play in his offense (especially point guard.) Doesn't have the pieces right now.

You also need shooting, and to allow younger players to grow and develop on the floor instead of acting as if practice helps development.

The 2015 class all busted outside of Ogbeide, and that was awful. I lean more to them not being able to develop without looking over their shoulder because of Fox constricting them then a bunch of bad apples. One bust might be a bad eval, two might be bad luck, but almost everybody is because they weren't allowed to grow and develop.

Edit: To add on, talent isn't the end all, be all. Georgia's recruiting was fine, Fox's inability to not let the kids play without looking over their shoulder was a big time issue. If talent was the end all, be all, Tennessee wouldn't arguably be the best team in the country right now in college basketball, Villanova style because their team is mostly 2 and 3 stars.

• dogbiscuit34dogbiscuit34 Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior

Can’t we get 5 kids from Atlanta who can ball??

edited January 2019

@dogbiscuit34 said:
    Can’t we get 5 kids from Atlanta who can ball??

I think the rest of the season probably needs to be focused on developing Fagan or Ignas, because the need for a PG is at a desperate point. The talent is not really that big of a deal at every spot but the 1.

But yes, while I posted the above, Georgia is in it with some guys based off what I saw at another forum. They will try to get back in it with a 4 star, Anthony Edwards is a slim possibility, and they're in on 2 PGs. 2020 is where strides need to be made, and I agree with the guy on that forum, if Georgia can't get 5 star legacy Walker Kessler, might as well shut down the program in basketball. We lead right now, but all the top programs are after him.

edited January 2019

No PG at times is showing up glaringly, I'd simply punt this season at this point to try to develop Ignas/Fagan, even if it'll be bad for fan interest. As even if there's more talent on next year's team, not having that PG that can pass is probably not going to lead to much better results.

Crump can play, but I'd whittle Jackson's minutes to nothing.

• MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seven minutes without scoring in the second half of a close SEC game? Sad.

• dogbiscuit34dogbiscuit34 Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MinnesotaDawg said:

Close to 10 minutes without a field goal in 2nd half. Lotta work to do.

• MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dogbiscuit34 said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:

Close to 10 minutes without a field goal in 2nd half. Lotta work to do.

Elementary school rec league type of offensive incompetence.

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

it's frustrating to watch but have to trust the process

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

FIRE TOM CREAN!!!

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

I just want to say that I CANNOT STAND..... "Florida anything" Ugh. Eff the...Y'all know what they all are....

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    FIRE TOM CREAN!!!

@Kasey now THAT'S FUNNY right there! I don't care who you are!