Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Books

Comments

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

Huxley was way ahead of his time. It was written in the 20's but he's predicted much of the current world in Brave New World. Sirens of Titan is another Vonnegut book with many of the same themes in Slaughterhouse

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@YaleDawg said:
    Huxley was way ahead of his time. It was written in the 20's but he's predicted much of the current world in Brave New World. Sirens of Titan is another Vonnegut book with many of the same themes in Slaughterhouse

Yeah, I’m sure that no one will be surprised that I experimented with the world of psychedelics in my younger days and Huxley was often mentioned amongst those sorts: the doors of perception and all that. Surprised I never read it just for that reason and I’ve since heard that it’s actually good and not just “trippy ideas” lol. Need to add it to my never ending list.

@YaleDawg said:

Oh and apropos of nothing, the author of the Matterhorn book that “The Things They Carried” reminded me of was also a decorated former Marine and a Yale alum.

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I bought this about 8 years ago for $2 from a Barnes n Noble that was going out of business. Has a pretty cool rival history book in it.

@Bulldawg1982 said:
    I bought this about 8 years ago for $2 from a Barnes n Noble that was going out of business. Has a pretty cool rival history book in it.

Nothing wrong with finding a decent bargain. I used to buy tons of cheap clearance hardbacks from the B&N near me. Then I realized I was reaching hoarder levels and made the move to mostly digital now lol.

• jay_kubzzjay_kubzz Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anything by Anthony Robbins

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yo @scooterdawg bro, thanks for taking point on this! I can’t wait to write down some titles. I tried the audio thing and couldn’t do it. I recently did my first online book with what I’m currently reading “can’t hurt me” by David Goggins. Digging the ebook, but prefer to have to actual book in hand.

Bro’s and Broette’s, check these books out if it’s your thing. Got them done in Decemberish

edited January 2019

The book about Clint harp is ok... kind of hard to read, but I was interested in him. My wife liked the show and I wanted to know about him. My grandfather recently passed away and he was a woodworker. Just a heads up

Also check out the last American Man by Elizabeth Gilbert. Dude is living life

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Read this one...I was on such a high after the 2007 season. Thought for sure we were winning the natty in 2008

@Kasey said:

Read this one...I was on such a high after the 2007 season. Thought for sure we were winning the natty in 2008

I thought the same thing.... life of a Dawg fan. I’ll add it to the list

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Signing Their Lives Away: The Fame and Misfortune of the Men Who Signed the Declaration of Independence.

The 4th of July is not our true “Independence Day”.

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/signing-their-lives-away-denise-kiernan/1015204326#reviews

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Gridiron Genius by Michael Lombardi if you're a fan of the NFL

Season of Saturdays by Michael Weinreb if you're more of a college person. (and honestly you can pick up anything by Weinreb and not be disappointed)

If you like crime novels, I swear by George Pelecanos. My favorites are his early series featuring Nick Stefanos or Dmitri Karros and Marcus Clay. I would say pick King Suckerman. If you like that the next two are The Sweet Forever and Shame the Devil. One takes place in the 70's, one in the 80's, and the last in the 90's.

@JRT812 said:
    Yo @scooterdawg bro, thanks for taking point on this! I can’t wait to write down some titles. I tried the audio thing and couldn’t do it. I recently did my first online book with what I’m currently reading “can’t hurt me” by David Goggins. Digging the ebook, but prefer to have to actual book in hand.

Bro’s and Broette’s, check these books out if it’s your thing. Got them done in Decemberish

I’m a big Krakauer fan. Good rec for anyone interested in the real story of Pat Tillman. As far as the Clint guy one of my exes used to watch it and I always thought he had the major hots for Joanna lol.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

@scooterdawg said:

@christopherules said:
    @scooterdawg I am a pretty HUGE Tom Clancy fan. I must say that I really do love the Public Library system FREE iPhone, (and ANDROID too) APP(s) and it is called "Overdrive".... as I simply do not have the kind of time that I would like to have, and leisurely turn pages anymore like I did in my younger days? Besides that, I have to use "readers" these days also, and they are a pain! I also enjoy that most public libraries use this free program for their respective "E-libraries" and that is where I have found FREE AUDIO-BOOKS to check out for periods of either 14 days, or sometimes 21 days at a time. I simply download the entire book into my iPhone, and it's done. When the audio-book is due? There are no late fees either! I am currently listening to "Without Remorse" by Tom Clancy.

I’m a Clancy fan from way back. I was reading Red Storm Rising, which is slightly shorter than the Bible, when I was probably 12 lol. I even liked some of the ones he did with other authors before he died. Unlike the crap that James Patterson will slap his name on, the late Clancy books still felt like he had input and had actually picked the right guys to help him write.

Good call on the library. I looked into it before but I was in a rural county in the mountains so no such luck on audiobooks but now that I’m back in Fulton I need to look into it again.

@scooterdawg Agree completely on "Red Storm Rising." I was out at sea somewhere in the Pacific Ocean on the US Navy Aircraft Carrier USS Independence back in the day while I was serving in the US Marines. I got a paperback copy of Red Storm Rising from a USMC buddy who was also stuck out there on that ship with me. He said, "you have got to read this book!" What followed was about 4 or 5 days of my getting just no sleep at all!! I simply couldn't put that book down! At the time? It scared the crap out of me. I mean I was on Active Duty in the Marines, and I am reading this stuff..... it was like, WOW! This seems very, very plausible! That really was a scary page turner!

edited January 2019

@Bankwalker said:
    Signing Their Lives Away: The Fame and Misfortune of the Men Who Signed the Declaration of Independence.

The 4th of July is not our true “Independence Day”.

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/signing-their-lives-away-denise-kiernan/1015204326#reviews

Signing our lives away sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing that!

@scooterdawg said:

@JRT812 said:

I’m a big Krakauer fan. Good rec for anyone interested in the real story of Pat Tillman. As far as the Clint guy one of my exes used to watch it and I always thought he had the major hots for Joanna lol.

Well, true or not she apparently pops them out.. stick to wood working and it’s cheaper hahaha

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm reading Conn Iggulden's series on Julius Caesar. His Genghis Kahn series is fantastic as well.

@ColaDawg86 said:
    I'm reading a biography on Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance. This guy has an incredible mind. I highly recommend it.

My favorite books I read in 2018:
    Give and Take - Adam Grant
    The Noticer - Andy Andrew's
    Idea Man - bio on Paul Allen
    The Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell

I’m interested in Elon Musk for some reason. I’ll add the book to my list. Thanks for sharing!