Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Books

Comments

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@JRT812 said:
    Yo @scooterdawg bro, thanks for taking point on this! I can’t wait to write down some titles. I tried the audio thing and couldn’t do it. I recently did my first online book with what I’m currently reading “can’t hurt me” by David Goggins. Digging the ebook, but prefer to have to actual book in hand.

Bro’s and Broette’s, check these books out if it’s your thing. Got them done in Decemberish

Let me know about Where Men win glory, I have loved Into the Wild and Into thin air

Just excellent books. Into the air tool me a moment to get into it, but turned out to be a decent book. I have read into the wild a ton of times and it’s probably top 3 of my favorite books.

Getting to Where Men Win Glory.... really interesting and a great read. Honestly I didn’t know much about Pat at the time other than him being a football player and someone who served his country. It provided insight on his thinking and to me it was interesting to see how he thought compared to how he determined his life’s plans. Check it out. Great read and and taking a silly sport called football out of it..... Pat is a legend in my mind

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love that this thread was started. I assume we are going to see a huge variety of choices in this...

I read mostly sci fi and fantasy. Almost always fiction. I read for entertainment.

Just this morning I finished Skyward by Branden Sanderson. A fantastic novel about a girl who's father is the best pilot for a futuristic human population stranded on an alien planet being constantly attacked from the sky by another alien race. Well when she is young her father supposedly becomes a coward and runs away and is shot down by his co-pilots in battle. So she grows up constantly being bullied for being the "cowards daughter". This drivers her to be determined to join the very difficult flight school, become a pilot herself, and restore the name of her family. Fascinating world, but what made the book awesome to me was the ending. Lots of questions are answered, but enough were left for it's sequel supposedly coming out in the fall of 2019.

@HumbleYourself said:
    Just finished "The Name of the Wind" and its sequel "The Wise Man's Fear"....both were excellent for anyone who enjoys fantasy.

Those are way way way at the top of my all time best list. But Rothfuss has got to finish the dag gum things!

@HumbleYourself said:

@scooterdawg said:

@HumbleYourself said:
    Just finished "The Name of the Wind" and its sequel "The Wise Man's Fear"....both were excellent for anyone who enjoys fantasy.

Two of my favorite fantasy books. A girl I was dating some years back got me into Rothfuss and Martin as I had a bad opinion of fantasy. I loved both but unfortunately they are the two WORST examples of writers not being able to finish a series to the point of pissing off their fans lol. George is going on a decade or more since his last book and Rothfuss isn’t far behind. Both have also put out other books in the meantime making it even more annoying. And both get salty when fans get on them.

Rothfuss very well might be trolling us...Especially after publishing The Slow Regard of Silent Things...should have stayed silent on that one.

It was a freaking chore to read that mess.... That may very well be my least favorite book ever.

@Steve_Zissou said:
    Good call on Slaughterhouse 5. Need to read again.
    Stormlight Archives is a great series for fantasy fans

Currently reading Micheners “Caribbean”. Not as good as “Hawaii”

Dune is my favorite book of all time

Stormlight is pretty good. But his Mistborn series is his best work IMO. But Branden Sanderson is an amazing author regardless. I've yet to read anything by him I didn't love.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I recently listened to All quiet on the Western Front, somehow missed that in HS, enjoyed it.
    World War Z is one I recommend, it was very different from the movie.
    I've decided to listen to No Country for Old Men, I read the book a few years ago, I love Cormac McCarthy's style.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RxDawg said:

@Steve_Zissou said:

Stormlight is pretty good. But his Mistborn series is his best work IMO. But Branden Sanderson is an amazing author regardless. I've yet to read anything by him I didn't love.

I browse the suggestabook type threads on Reddit and other places and I've seen tons of recs for Sanderson. He seems to have a lot of books/series and I've been wondering where would be a good place to start with him? Should I give Mistborn a try or start with a one off to see if I like him do ya think?

• sauceddawgsauceddawg Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

The Last Kingdom if you like historical fiction

edited January 2019

@scooterdawg said:

@RxDawg said:

@Steve_Zissou said:

I browse the suggestabook type threads on Reddit and other places and I've seen tons of recs for Sanderson. He seems to have a lot of books/series and I've been wondering where would be a good place to start with him? Should I give Mistborn a try or start with a one off to see if I like him do ya think?

Mistborn for sure. It's a completed 3 book series. Although he did write other books in that world that occur much later. But that book series absolutely amazed me and could very well be my favorite of all time. The ending is phenomenal. And what is really neat is that each of the 3 books is very different. Same people and world but the story takes amazing turns that you will never see coming. I truly can't recommend it enough.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:

@texdawg said:
    Great football reads by Jim Dent

1. Junction Boys
    2. Twelve Mighty Orphans

Both are true and both are excellent

Read 'The Undefeated: The Story of the Oklahoma Sooners and The Greatest Winning Streak in College Football' also by Dent. It's the story of how Oklahoma rose to prominence in the late 40s and during the 50s under Bud Wilkinson, and it details their 47-game winning streak, and also the aftermath when they finally did lose a game.

It tells of much corruption during their run, and also details interesting players they had back then...Like pro wrestler Wahoo McDaniel, and Prentiss Gaunt....the first black player to ever play for OU.

I highly recommend it if you are a college football fan in general.

On that note, I recently was in a Goodwill store and found a copy of Dooley's book written with Loren Smith on his 25 years coaching at UGA. As I opened the book, surprise, surprise.....It was autographed by Dooley himself. Bought it for only 5 bucks.

Awesome find on the Dooley book. And I'll read 'The Undefeated'. Dent's life was/is a wreck but he is a great author.

• HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RxDawg said:

@HumbleYourself said:

@scooterdawg said:

@HumbleYourself said:

Two of my favorite fantasy books. A girl I was dating some years back got me into Rothfuss and Martin as I had a bad opinion of fantasy. I loved both but unfortunately they are the two WORST examples of writers not being able to finish a series to the point of pissing off their fans lol. George is going on a decade or more since his last book and Rothfuss isn’t far behind. Both have also put out other books in the meantime making it even more annoying. And both get salty when fans get on them.

Rothfuss very well might be trolling us...Especially after publishing The Slow Regard of Silent Things...should have stayed silent on that one.

It was a freaking chore to read that mess.... That may very well be my least favorite book ever.

The zero dialog except with personified innanimate objects gimmick was awful.

@HumbleYourself said:

@RxDawg said:

@HumbleYourself said:

@scooterdawg said:

@HumbleYourself said:

The zero dialog except with personified innanimate objects gimmick was awful.

I remember he actually came out with a warning at the beginning of the book that it was not exactly like his other stuff. But geeze, I thought he was just trying to be modest O.O

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here is what I have read in the last year and a half or so. Some were great and some were just ok

The Fortunate Pilgrim by Mario Puzo
    The Godfather by Mario Puzo
    Neuromancer by William Gibson
    The Fellowship of the Ring by Tolkien
    The Bobiverse Trilogy by Dennis E Taylor
    Dune by Frank Herbert
    The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
    Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman
    A River Runs Through It and Other Stories by Norman Maclean
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
    Kingkiller Chronicles part 1 and 2 by Patrick Rothfuss

I am currently reading The Complete Short Stories (Finca Vigia Edition) by Ernest Hemingway

My next two will be
    Dracula by Bram Stoker
    The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris

Not 100% what is after that

One book I recommend to everyone is A Quiet Place of Violence: Hunting and Ethics in the Missouri River Breaks by Allen Morris Jones

It is a fantastic read about hunting, philosophy, and man's role in nature

edited January 2019

@tfk_fanboy said:

Dune by Frank Herbert

Those are books I have read and are all good to great. Ready Player One was a recent movie. The movie was actually okay, and I was kind of worried about it. But that book is straight up fantastic. It's full of 80s nostalgia as well (which is why it was in the movie). I almost mentioned it as a must read. Glad to see someone else read it.

oawful.o> @tfk_fanboy said:

Here is what I have read in the last year and a half or so. Some were great and some were just ok

Dune by Frank Herbert

I am currently reading The Complete Short Stories (Finca Vigia Edition) by Ernest Hemingway

My next two will be
    Dracula by Bram Stoker

One book I recommend to everyone is A Quiet Place of Violence: Hunting and Ethics in the Missouri River Breaks by Allen Morris Jones

This list covers many good ones. Bobiverse being the sneaky good series I wouldn't have expected to love. Check out the Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson and the Magic 2.0 series by Scott Meyer for others that will surprise you.

@RxDawg said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

Dune by Frank Herbert

Those are books I have read and are all good to great. Ready Player One was a recent movie. The movie was actually okay, and I was kind of worried about it. But that book is straight up fantastic. It's full of 80s nostalgia as well (which is why it was in the movie). I almost mentioned it as a must read. Glad to see someone else read it.

Great book for sure...Armada is also worth reading if you like Ernest Cline's style.

@RxDawg said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

Dune by Frank Herbert

I loved reading Ready Player One. I agree the movie was ok but that is as far as I am willing to go in complimenting it ha. It probably should have been two movies

I recommend the Bobiverse trilogy if you liked that. Fast paced, easy to read, does not take itself too seriously, and just a fun trilogy.

@HumbleYourself said:
    oawful.o> @tfk_fanboy said:

Dune by Frank Herbert

My next two will be
    Dracula by Bram Stoker

This list covers many good ones. Bobiverse being the sneaky good series I wouldn't have expected to love. Check out the Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson and the Magic 2.0 series by Scott Meyer for others that will surprise you.

Yeah, I ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

Funny you mention the magic 2.0 as Off to Be A Wizard is on my to-read list. I have not heard of the other but I will look into it.

If you have any kids the audiobook Zero G by Dan Well is a fun one. My son and I finished it a couple of weeks ago.

@HumbleYourself said:

@RxDawg said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

Dune by Frank Herbert

Great book for sure...Armada is also worth reading if you like Ernest Cline's style.

I've wanted to.... but I was so worried about a let down since there is no way it could be as good as RP1.